Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden AgeGrading Help Needed

Need help and advice18283

Collector Cdantiks private msg quote post Address this user
I have a Star Spangled Comics #31, raw
W/detached cover. Looking at the pics, should I get it graded. And what grade do you think. Coverprice shows only 3 sales all raw and the best was a 3.0-4.5 @ $182 back in 2018.
I apologize for any posting not allowed.





Post 1 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
If you’re selling. I’ll give you $30 for it right now.
Post 2 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@Cdantiks Getting it slabbed would help to protect it from further deterioration. Plus, it's a Simon & Kirby WW2 cover.

Normally, my suggestion when asked this question is to simply place the book in a good mylar sleeve with a good acid-free backing board. However, in your case with this book, yes, I'd recommend getting it graded and slabbed.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Cdantiks private msg quote post Address this user
@DWeeB1967 thanks, I appreciate the help.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Cdantiks private msg quote post Address this user
@HulkSmash I will keep you in mind.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
to me, if its worth it for you....get it graded. but thats very rough condition. maybe 1.5.. as its falling apart, cover is very rough. But as @DWeeB1967 said slabbing it will preserve it and keep it from getting in rougher shape.

Ive seen maybe worst cover (was a 1st batman appearance and had like 10 punch holes in spine) be graded.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@Cdantiks
That book has a wonderful cover! I would get it slabbed in order to preserve it.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
@Cdantiks
That book has a wonderful cover! I would get it slabbed in order to preserve it.
same. Preservation is always good. Though I don’t what value this book can bring.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
@Cdantiks
That book has a wonderful cover! I would get it slabbed in order to preserve it.
same. Preservation is always good. Though I don’t what value this book can bring.

It's tough to determine that because the most 'recent' sales are from years ago, and the comics market has really changed. If your sole concern is how much money the book will sell for, you'll need to do some soul-searching regarding whether or not you want it slabbed. Slabbed books tend to sell for more, but will it be enough to cover the cost of grading it, given the condition.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Cdantiks private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks folks.
I'm leaning toward getting it stabbed for preservation without restoration. It does view well. And I have a g-son namesake that 20 something yrs. from now it could aid the college fund.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdantiks
Thanks folks.
I'm leaning toward getting it stabbed for preservation without restoration. It does view well. And I have a g-son namesake that 20 something yrs. from now it could aid the college fund.

As long as it's preserved, that book has nowhere to go but up, especially in 20 years time.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Belarak private msg quote post Address this user
@Cdantiks If you get it graded. Please post the book here. I think it will show in a slab much better than loose.

If you are willing to wait for a VERY long time, CBCS pressers are really good. Otherwise you could try and find a presser that has a lot of experience with books from the 40's. I wouldn't trust that book with someone who has never worked with older books.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
I believe detached cover is a 1.5. I have seen some go a little higher, but usually the spine is complete and not missing any chunks. I don't think the book is worth getting graded.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
people told me. dont get the Infinite Crisis #5 (first appearance of Jamie Reyes as new blue beetle) graded without pressing (might be a 8.0 to 8.5). But I feel unless its really rough or I plan on reselling. not really worth paying extra. I do plan on grading next time I can do a submission because it will look great on display
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Cdantiks private msg quote post Address this user
I'm spending my money so kids don't fight over it when I'm gone so pressing, cleaning, and grading is probably the route. Hopefull I can get it back befor the company changes name etc.And I'm still around to get it.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdantiks
I'm spending my money so kids don't fight over it when I'm gone

One of the best reasons ever! At the end of the day, it's your money, not there's. You do what you want.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
IIRC this book has a Hitler appearance, or there is something else that's key about it.

I remember looking this book up after seeing a copy in an auction and losing out on that auctioned copy on ebay a few months back...that copy was beat to hell and sold for around $100, I maxed out my snipe at around $55 or so...thinking it'd have been an easy re-sell at $100 bc GA books in raw 1.0 almost always bring raw GD 2.0 prices (Overstreet).

I'd say it'd pull around a 2.0 to 3.5 from CGC or CBCS, all day long, as is.

A press will have little impact on the grade. Might get you a lock in at a 3.5.

Biggest defect is the chips out of the cover's spine...but the cover isnt split and it has a ton of eye appeal....if not for the detached cover + small pieces out of the cover's spine, it looks like a 6.5.

Detached covers on single staple GA books do NOT get hammered by CGC or CBCS.

And the pieces out of the cover's spine arent huge nor do they hammer the overall functional/structural integrity of the cover's spine.... hard to say without having the book in hand, though...thats why I gave such a wide margin from a 2.0-3.5 as my predicted grade.

Your copy is easily a $150-$200 raw book
, depending how quickly you wanna sell it.

The poster who offered $30 was way too low.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
@Cdantiks
That book has a wonderful cover! I would get it slabbed in order to preserve it.


Yeah, not a bad idea.

I think this issue has a Hitler cameo, as well.

Just did a brief search, didnt see anything online about that but I'm pretty sure it has a Hitler cameo.

WW 2 over the top ptriotic cover themes like this one are always in demand, even if it's a "second string" title and not a Bats or Sups book.

https://kirbymuseum.org/blogs/kirby/archives/382
Post 18 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicHoarder
IIRC this book has a Hitler appearance, or there is something else that's key about it.

I remember looking this book up after seeing a copy in an auction and losing out on that auctioned copy on ebay a few months back...that copy was beat to hell and sold for around $100, I maxed out my snipe at around $55 or so...thinking it'd have been an easy re-sell at $100 bc GA books in raw 1.0 almost always bring raw GD 2.0 prices (Overstreet).

I'd say it'd pull around a 2.0 to 3.5 from CGC or CBCS, all day long, as is.

A press will have little impact on the grade. Might get you a lock in at a 3.5.

Biggest defect is the chips out of the cover's spine...but the cover isnt split and it has a ton of eye appeal....if not for the detached cover + small pieces out of the cover's spine, it looks like a 6.5.

Detached covers on single staple GA books do NOT get hammered by CGC or CBCS.

And the pieces out of the cover's spine arent huge nor do they hammer the overall functional/structural integrity of the cover's spine.... hard to say without having the book in hand, though...thats why I gave such a wide margin from a 2.0-3.5 as my predicted grade.

Your copy is easily a $150-$200 raw book
, depending how quickly you wanna sell it.

The poster who offered $30 was way too low.


I did address the OP on my offer as I felt I unintentionally low balled. That was not my intent.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
The highest I've seen for detached cover is a 3.5 and the cover was in much better shape than this book. I'm seeing at least 1/3 of the spine missing. That's pretty significant portion of the spine missing.
Post 20 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
GA Kirby/Simon...reason enough to slab. Not sure a Presser will press though as the spine seems very fragile and likely would not withstand the press. Great book!
Post 21 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Not sure a Presser will press though as the spine seems very fragile and likely would not withstand the press.


@Cdantiks
Make sure to get a press-screen so that the presser can determine if a press would likely damage the book. Books with fragile spines can get pretty messed up because they can't handle the pressure. Regardless of whether it should/can be pressed or not, I'd still get it slabbed.
Post 22 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Not sure a Presser will press though as the spine seems very fragile and likely would not withstand the press.


@Cdantiks
Make sure to get a press-screen so that the presser can determine if a press would likely damage the book. Books with fragile spines can get pretty messed up because they can't handle the pressure. Regardless of whether it should/can be pressed or not, I'd still get it slabbed.


Good call!!
Post 23 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
There are much more affordable ways to preserve the book than to chance it in the hands of TPGers.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
With the detached cover, I can't imagine that anything positive could come from pressing it. Pretty sure the grade would be the same or worse after pressing. Third party grading will make it more liquid because it will eliminate concerns about restorations or undisclosed damage. But I personally would preserve it without going through the cost and hassle of third-party grading.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Cdantiks private msg quote post Address this user
I sure do appreciate all the help.
And, getting responses from all you good folks makes my week.
Thanks to all.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
I believe detached cover is a 1.5. I have seen some go a little higher, but usually the spine is complete and not missing any chunks. I don't think the book is worth getting graded.
Agree. If you tape the cover back to the book maybe a 2.0 at best. I while back I sent and Avengers 4 in with the cover attached and only got a 2.5. Piece out on bottom corner killed it.No way that book gets a 3.0 no matter what TLC you give it.

Post 27 IP   flag post
604483 27 27
This topic is archived. Start new topic?