Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CBCS Official Statement18276

Collector radd76 private msg quote post Address this user
@robertofredrico I fixed my original post even though I wasn’t using the quote feature on here- I put in quotes because “disturbing” is another way to say “troubling”- but since it troubled and disturbed you I did change it.

I also never said worthless (you added this)- but just that Marat Mychaels is graciously reprinting each and every one he can and resigning for FREE to all Clan McDonald customers and submitters- that’s a classy act-

reread my original post- I in no way put down Marat- I only IN CONTEXT- said there are no AF15’s lost that we know of (that can NOT be reprinted)… but bc a book that is modern can possibly be reprinted that is at least good that replacement of the actual product can be PROVIDED and GRADED and even WITNESSED-

-and to your other point about the Covid excuse- COVID was and is still causing loss of life- please don’t put any comic books above this-

Other than that yeah I’m almost certain the insurers (and workers of course) know more about everyday operations than the “submitters” about how things are run- lol.

So you think CBCS called an insurance company and said they need an insurance policy and the company just said “oh ok sure” and they don’t know how the business is run- duuuuuude- not how that works- they have to know everything- what if someone gets their finger cut off sealing a slab- come on man- insurance knows what’s what- if they sent books OFF without insurance approval / knowledge and it’s proven then insurance doesn’t cover then it’s CBCS footing the bill- if that’s not disclosed-

Either way- CBCS / Clan / Marat is reprinting and making right to extent they can- no one is perfect- there were also a good bit less lost (almost 20% less) than originally thought after looking closer- that has been announced FYI-
Post 76 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Stupid question on my part. Assuming the books are lost, at some point they will be found. Doesn't the extra printing of replacement books affect the overall census? Not saying they shouldn't do it, just saying there are negative repercussions on that course of action.
Post 77 IP   flag post
@Bronte books that were lost were never put in census- lost before grading- or at least for sure before census (is my understanding)-

So if found they would be destroyed at that point I would guess if already replaced? (Any duplicate “numbered” ones)- and numbered meaning the 10/25, 11/25 and whatnot on the front cover (of those #’d books)-

Any not numbered if they were entered I’m sure if not a strict print run or numbered it’s fine to leave extra copy-
Post 78 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Census was a bad choice of words on my part. I meant print run. I know that some variants have like 1000 count runs. Assuming the lost books were stolen and those books ever made it back into circulation the print number could be wrong and inflated. Decreasing value of books. Like I said earlier, it's prolly the best option given circumstances but the book that was sold that may have been a 1:500 variant might not be the case anymore if the lost book is ever found and not destroyed.
Post 79 IP   flag post
@Bronte oh I got you! Yeah sorry I read census as CBCS population (graded)-

But actual books printed you mean- yeah it’s not likely the books were destroyed and most likely eventually end up:
1. Found (because just overlooked / misplaced)
2. Stolen (private collection now)
3. Stolen (Resold online)
4. Plain lost and never found?!

This brings up an interesting point… if we know the numbers submitted (because Clan actually photographs each submission prior to sending in)- then if those numbers are ever sold on eBay or anywhere else it creates a trail - that seller… then where he got them from… (even one would reveal all as they aren’t likely in 300+ hands that would all be dishonest or careless) etc etc-

-could actually maybe find out who got their hands on them and maybe hold them accountable?- hmmm-

Either 1 or 3 “could” be best scenarios-

1 best
2 worst
3 if tracked down then could give some answers
4 unlikely (remaining lost / never found part)

But to your main point- it is the original publisher printing more and authorized to do so- and the books we are talking about have an extremely low print run of like 25/50/75/100 are the most common for Crosspoint- (which in a way act as rare as 1:500’s)- but ends up even lower- honestly I don’t think it changes much- and unless the same person gets two #10/25’s or two get graded and matched up then we just have this event that happened to point back to-
Post 80 IP   flag post

would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by radd76
... he did with his group on Facebook but kindly asked “keyboard warriors” not to repost it-

Would hardly call people who share a story of a company's humungous failure, one that they would not know without the victim himself making it public, and one that people considering using CBCS deserve to know..."keyboard warriors".
Post 81 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Post 82 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka

The letter from CBCS gave him permission to share it

Yup...and even if they meant just to the group they must have known it would get out. No puttin' that genie back in the bottle once released.

Absolutely.

The email gave permission to share the email itself with his customers. Not some group on facebook or wherever.

But let's be real here... he didn't need anyone's permission.

He was fed up and very angry. After Steve left "it's been nothing but issue after issue, excuse after excuse, ignoring messages for days/weeks".
Who can blame him for posting about it. And it worked. It got their attention and I'm assuming he regretted posting his rant publicly because, well... he still doesn't have his books back. And why pi$$ off the people who possess them? So yea.. of course he wanted screenshots removed but as you said... the genie is out.
It's still on IG. I would have to assume the other Socials too.

If only I had the purchasing power and history he has to get a simple email response to the billing error they have made on my submission.
Post 83 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Whenever I do get a shipment from CBCS, I pray that nothing is wrong with the order (like a cracked slab). When it happens with CGC, it's just a day in the life and they fix it easily. A PIA, but they fix it and no issues getting CGC CS.

Thankfully I've been lucky with CBCS and haven't needed to contact their CS very often, but if I did, dear lord. Help me.

Since I'm at nearly every major comic convention in the northeast, I think my plan would have to be to deal with a problem delivery at the CBCS booth, at the convention. I mean what else can one do these days?
Post 84 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Whenever I do get a shipment from CBCS, I pray that nothing is wrong with the order (like a cracked slab). When it happens with CGC, it's just a day in the life and they fix it easily. A PIA, but they fix it and no issues getting CGC CS.

Thankfully I've been lucky with CBCS and haven't needed to contact their CS very often, but if I did, dear lord. Help me.

Since I'm at nearly every major comic convention in the northeast, I think my plan would have to be to deal with a problem delivery at the CBCS booth, at the convention. I mean what else can one do these days?
My last sub had three cracked slabs. I decided to just let it ago instead of trying to deal with anyone. That’s real reassuring huh? I figured they were already gone 11 months, why wait probably 14 more again at this point.
Post 85 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
Quote:

My last sub had three cracked slabs. I decided to just let it ago instead of trying to deal with anyone. That’s real reassuring huh? I figured they were already gone 11 months, why wait probably 14 more again at this point.

My previous sub had this label error...I let it go for the same reason.

Post 86 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
@HeinzDad @GAC very, very sad that lack of customer service has lead to people not even trying and instead being left with items they are not happy with

Even worse...we all know nothing will be done about it..CS will not get any better
Post 87 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
The core of what CBCS does is great and I'm a supporter of them. I consider their core service as Grading/Pressing/VSP and the quality of their slabs.

Their customer service and communication shortcomings you hope were always temporary and going to be short lived.

Between growing pains, natural disasters, location moves and pandemics preventing them from addressing their shortcomings, it seems the universe is sending CBCS a message.

I'm still loyal to CBCS but it gets harder and harder....imposiible actually to continue to defend them.

I'm rooting for you CBCS but at some point improvements actually have to happen.
Post 88 IP   flag post
Collector Supertom private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I mean what else can one do these days?

I vote to not support either company at this point. They’ll take the hit here and do whatever marketing shenanigans they can to pull in new customers, and just hope this goes away. These companies should be impartial 3rd parties on the outside of the collecting community, but they’ve engrained themselves so deeply at this point that they can just do whatever they want with little repercussions.
Post 89 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
@HeinzDad @GAC very, very sad that lack of customer service has lead to people not even trying and instead being left with items they are not happy with

Even worse...we all know nothing will be done about it..CS will not get any better
To be perfectly clear they have taken care of problems like these before no problem. Those were different times though and I have a lack of trust at this point. So, with that being said, it is a choice that I am deciding to make.
Post 90 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
At some point, people have to stop making excuses for CBCS' shortcomings.
Post 91 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertom
Quote:
I mean what else can one do these days?

I vote to not support either company at this point. They’ll take the hit here and do whatever marketing shenanigans they can to pull in new customers, and just hope this goes away. These companies should be impartial 3rd parties on the outside of the collecting community, but they’ve engrained themselves so deeply at this point that they can just do whatever they want with little repercussions.

That's my opinion at the moment.

Limited edition comic book character labels, in house exclusive signings.

They are crossing the line of impartial grading collectibles to manufacturing collectibles.
Post 92 IP   flag post
Collector Travis private msg quote post Address this user
I hope that rumor ain’t true that cbcs is gonna change their name to more of a Beckett Orientation I don’t want to be left with a slab collection of cbcs slabs then the company’s name changes and I am left with old cbcs company name slabs while the new company is pushing out new slabs with new company name on them. Oof then all the sudden all my nice matching cbcs slabs won’t match with the new stuff it could be problematic for all of us that have been collecting or picked cbcs to be our go to company to use.

You got cbcs or the other guys I like cbcs they to me felt like the under dogs that have a I think an superior slab no nuton rings they don’t have that plastic snap cracking sound that the other guys slabs have cbcs slabs are just better quality they have the qr codes on the back with grader notes the other guys are just getting that cbcs was first with free grader notes they got that right I fill like cbcs will make it right they owned up to there mistakes and I believe they will fix the problems at hand and be a better company for it than them other guys who grade comics.
Post 93 IP   flag post
Collector Hexigore private msg quote post Address this user
Punctuation, dammit!!! Lol!! 😜
Post 94 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Oof then all the sudden all my nice matching cbcs slabs won’t match with the new stuff

Simple solution, don't buy the new slabs or use their service.
Post 95 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Oof then all the sudden all my nice matching cbcs slabs won’t match with the new stuff

Simple solution, don't buy the new slabs or use their service.

Exactly 👍

When it comes to cgc I only buy first and second generation slabs.

Like this.
1st generation

2nd generation

I don't buy 3rd gen

And with cbcs, I buy 1st gen

I don't buy 2nd gen rivets so don't have any.

And I buy 3rd gen

So I don't buy CGC 3rd gen slabs and cbcs 4th gen slabs as those were done during the lockdown and glut of submissions and I've no interest in those. Everyone else, buy whatever you want.
Post 96 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Good more slabs for me. I’ll buy them all.
Post 97 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think its an automatic guarantee that CBCS slabs drop in value if a name change happens, that would entirely depend on Beckett and how the new brand takes shape. Any quick grading screw ups and the older CBCS slabs would quickly be seen as more reliable and potentially more valuable than the new brand.
Post 98 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Well posting the dirty laundry of CBCS prolly irreparably harms the relationship he had with cbcs and any future he might have with the company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Jeromy sent him an email saying it was CBCS's fault and that Steve could share that email with his group.

CBCS is saying "transparency" now. But, have they addressed whether or not this ONLY affected CMC? I haven't seen that. If it impacted other submissions, how many? Are there more books are missing? How many were mailed off-site? For how long did this happen? Should people who are still waiting for June/July 2021 orders with no special steps (pressing, VSP, etc...) just assume there books are gone and wait for CBCS to reach out to them?

Saying transparency and having it are not the same thing.
Post 99 IP   flag post
Sadly I would assume more books are lost than what we really know of. but then again we don’t really know how our books get treated and thrown and tossed around by the workers there no telling what they do if they are having s crap day. I can only hope they find peoples books. no telling how many peoples books are missing. the guy who only sent 2 books in he won’t get noticed like the guy who lost 367 books that have a big follow on social media. It could be in the thousands of lost submissions as a customer we don’t know until they tell us . I bet some heads might be rolling today at cbcs who’s ever idea it was to send the books out to employees in a none control situation. Double Handling double mailings losses damages. What were they thinking.
Post 100 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertofredrico
Not being able to locate some books in your building is one thing, but to me the most troubling aspect of this situation is the revelation that CBCS is taking books that are submitted to them, shipping them to somewhere else to be received into their database, and then shipped back to CBCS for grading.

Obviously, us submitters did not know about this until now. I wonder, did their insurance company know?

Is this other location somewhere else in Texas? Some other state? Some other country?

And is there just one off-site location that they were being shipped to? Are there two of these off-site "database enterers"? Five? Twenty?

If they're not already slabbed, doesn't the very act of bundling them up, packing them, shipping them to have them entered into the CBCS System by a remote employee then getting packed back up and shipped back to CBCS for grading/slabbing all create MULTIPLE Possible points of failure when damage to the book - however slight - could occur and thus any grading done AFTER all this would likely be a LESSER GRADE than had all that not occurred and entry done locally?

Or am I missing something? I haven't seen this mentioned yet as a point of discussion and/or outrage.
Post 101 IP   flag post
Collector Supertom private msg quote post Address this user
Another thing that I question is, aren't three graders supposed to look at each book? How is that done if they're being shipped to someone's house, a Zoom call?

Again, if there was that much of a concern about working conditions in mid 2021 on top of already being flooded with backlog, then they should have just stopped taking submissions. Steve B. himself even said Beckett was smart for halting card submissions.
Post 102 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
About time.
Post 103 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@etapi65 - Perhaps that is part of the investigation, to confirm that the loss is isolated or not.

@Supertom - I could be wrong, but what I saw was not that comics were being graded off site, the only extracurricular activity was possible offsite check-in.
Post 104 IP   flag post
Or if they were so short staffed. limit the amount that can be submitted to the amount they can actually do. so people won’t have to wait a year in que lines. They still backed up from Covid they never seen a influx or were prepared for the amount of submissions sent to them is my guess. They still backed up I recon they will start seeing less submissions I guess from all the crazy stuff going on with them. I kind of want to send them some more of my books but I also think it might be a bad idea. But a good idea if less are submitted might get rushed threw quicker damed if you do damed if you don’t.
Post 105 IP   flag post
601512 128 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.