Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Grade-Screening / Pre-Screening1826

Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Saw an old post and as I consider which books to submit for grading, I'm thinking about using grade-screening (a/k/a pre-screening, as it is known elsewhere).

The earlier post indicated that the rejection fee was $4, and Steve B. indicated back then that CBCS might not charge a fee if 75% of the books submitted were ultimately graded. Is this how it works, or have others had different experiences?

Given that I have purchased graded books before but have yet to submit any for grading, this is an attractive feature for me so I don't wind up with a bunch of silver age 2.5s.

Thanks in advance.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I am very interested in this as well. My most recent submission is 21 of all the same book, with a 9.8 grade screen. The company is a little vague on actual charges, so if someone does not clear this up before my invoice is posted I will provide what information I can here.

Logically I would theorize the following: it would make sense that high-grade moderns can be graded quickly and thus minimal or no charge assuming some get through. On the other hand if someone sent in a pile of golden age books with a screen of six, I would think that that situation would take up significant amounts of the graders time and thus results in higher charges.

Sorry I don't have a definitive answer for you 😬
Post 2 IP   flag post
I think your logic is sound.

I do like the fact that there is the possibility of no charge. Right off the bat, that's better than *always* a charge!
Post 3 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Grade Screening is $4 per book that do not meet your grade requirement.
If 75% or more of your books pass the screen, there is no charge for the rejected books.

Additionally, there is no minimum number of books to use this service. You can send in one book and put a Grade Screen on it.

You can put a Grade Screen on any book in the order, meaning you have a 10 book order and you want to put a Grade Screen on only one of the books, do it. Two of the books, do it. All of the books, do it.

You can put a different grade on each book you want to screen. So theoretically you could do a 10 books, screen 3 of them, do one at a 9.2, another at 9.4, and the last one at 7.0.

And finally, there is no additional time added to the turnaround. It's no different than if you sent the books in through the regular tier. They get shipped out as if there were no Grade Screen.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
@SteveRicketts This is why you guys are awesome!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Grade Screening is $4 per book that do not meet your grade requirement.
If 75% or more of your books pass the screen, there is no charge for the rejected books.

Thanks for confirming this. It's a great feature.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome thanks for the clarification Steve! Its good to know what to expect now.
Post 7 IP   flag post
601213 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?