Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature ASPGrading Help NeededQuestionsSignatures

Facilitator Question18250

would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastboy1980
is this true.
did they send out comics to someones house to grade ?

The claim is they were just sent to be checked in. I posted the actual claim but it got removed for some reason.
In reality though, none of us know what they're doing. Apparently they were told by CBCS that books get sent to homes for checking in. Who admits to that?! And if they admit to that, what is the actual truth?
Maybe they get books at their homes, enter them, grade them, and return them for encapsulation.
At this point, why would we assume they don't?
Post 101 IP   flag post
I called CGC about the giveback benefit. beastboy1980 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABitEvil
will probably determine whether or not I'm out of the slabbing game

That's what is agitating me the most. I've seen so many slabs with grades I don't agree with from both companies over the years, including hundreds that are flat out wrong and overgraded, that a large part of me thinks 3rd party grading of all kinds, not just comics, is absolute rubbish. We'll see what happens, but I might be done with slabbing as well. And all this, after coming off a high of hating on CGC and promoting CBCS only weeks ago makes it even more disappointing...oh well.

You know something, Flanders...I agree.

Why is it so important that a 3rd party grades a book? How is that more viable than me placing a SUBJECTIVE GRADE on a book and stating it as such?

Oh wait....I don't have a company! I don't have someone to tell me your grading is accurate!?

BS!

I have been collecting and selling comics for over 30 yrs and my ebay feedback clearly states "AS DESCRIBED"...on many sales I made - keeping at a 100% rating. So - subjectivity is only valued by an individual.

BUT oh wait...I don't have a company to accurately grade comics...yeah...I keep forgetting.

Sorry....everyone should keep slabbing...lol....

I bet I could still sell a non-graded, non-slabbed AF15 for a substantial amount....in low, mid or if it is an high graded and not slabbed.

Remember...slabbing is mainly used for archiving a book to keep it in a certain condition....never to be read again....unless cracked open.

Slabbing now only reflects the cover artwork.

What happened to reading the stories?

smh
Z

i see your point. but in cases when consumers are paying well over say $1000 or more for a comic book. And the person buying the comic might not be able to grade and see if a book is true to what they say and not get screwed over paying for a book that might be restored. The hobby needed to have a second group to appraise books.

With the advent of the internet it was needed.
and there are tons of bad comic book sellers out there ripping people off on bad grades.
Post 102 IP   flag post
I called CGC about the giveback benefit. beastboy1980 private msg quote post Address this user
to be honest .
i feel if a person walked the comic shows and others paid him to look over comics to see he was not getting ripped off he would be able to make a nice cash for the day.

its needed
Post 103 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
there are tons of bad comic book sellers out there ripping people off on bad grades.

Sadly, that is correct. It'll be worse now that the hobby is popularised and there are a lot of clueless new hobbyists out there for con artists to fleece. Third-party grading really does serve a purpose.
Post 104 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:
will probably determine whether or not I'm out of the slabbing game

That's what is agitating me the most. I've seen so many slabs with grades I don't agree with from both companies over the years, including hundreds that are flat out wrong and overgraded, that a large part of me thinks 3rd party grading of all kinds, not just comics, is absolute rubbish. We'll see what happens, but I might be done with slabbing as well. And all this, after coming off a high of hating on CGC and promoting CBCS only weeks ago makes it even more disappointing...oh well.

You know something, Flanders...I agree.

Why is it so important that a 3rd party grades a book? How is that more viable than me placing a SUBJECTIVE GRADE on a book and stating it as such?

Oh wait....I don't have a company! I don't have someone to tell me your grading is accurate!?

BS!

I have been collecting and selling comics for over 30 yrs and my ebay feedback clearly states "AS DESCRIBED"...on many sales I made - keeping at a 100% rating. So - subjectivity is only valued by an individual.

BUT oh wait...I don't have a company to accurately grade comics...yeah...I keep forgetting.

Sorry....everyone should keep slabbing...lol....

I bet I could still sell a non-graded, non-slabbed AF15 for a substantial amount....in low, mid or if it is an high graded and not slabbed.

Remember...slabbing is mainly used for archiving a book to keep it in a certain condition....never to be read again....unless cracked open.

Slabbing now only reflects the cover artwork.

What happened to reading the stories?

smh
Z

i see your point. but in cases when consumers are paying well over say $1000 or more for a comic book. And the person buying the comic might not be able to grade and see if a book is true to what they say and not get screwed over paying for a book that might be restored. The hobby needed to have a second group to appraise books.

With the advent of the internet it was needed.
and there are tons of bad comic book sellers out there ripping people off on bad grades.

Thanks for the response BB.

I also understand where you are coming from.

Again, you seem to lean on keeping a certain book in a certain condition. Great...slab it. If that is what you want....

We all have seen....."Let the buyer beware" and it is always in play...slabbed or not....we all have seen this play out.

The key issue I see is.....whom are we to trust? Why? What proof will they provide that they are the best grading company?

Subjectivity comes into play.

Again...what makes any company more accurate than me? Oh yeah...a company name.

Got it.

Thanks again for the post....I feel the need you express, but I just can't seem to grasp it with these recent "blatant" company issues.

Wrong grades, added staples to get great grades, the internet(?), losing books.....?????

Wow...the truth is coming alive!

I think I will start a new company...Capitalism!! 😀

Be safe.
Z
Post 105 IP   flag post

Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Modern / variant bubble has caused much of this. Not placing blame, or justifying poor excuses, but for true cause-effect it is core.

I suspect there is another issue that is specific to CBCS. It's been my theory for a couple years now that the final authority making the rules is someone who is removed from the consequences. By that I mean that I think there is someone in a parent company telling them what they can't do and what they must do. And I believe that person's focus is 100% on maximizing revenues. I suspect that the really bad decisions are not being made by people inside the company who operate the day-to-day business and who have to actually live with the consequences. More likely it is someone who is permanently operating in more of an "end-game" mindset.
Post 106 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
It's been my theory for a couple years now that the final authority making the rules is someone who is removed from the consequences.

I'd consider betting money on that.
Post 107 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I think there is someone in a parent company telling them what they can't do and what they must do

I've tried to remain optimistic about CBCS getting their customer service issues resolved and any problems with their parent company is something I've overlooked. A google search of the trading card industry scandals/problems yields some interesting results.

I think it's time for me to stop being optimistic about 3rd party grading. Although I've enjoyed this niche of the comic hobby, from this point forward I may only be using CBCS if it's for higher value books that I want to have a specific FMV value assigned to, in case of a loss for insurance purposes. Right now, I don't own a single raw book that meets this criteria. The good thing is, I can get back to focusing on reading comic books instead of spending far too much time bickering about slabbing and browsing auction sites.
Post 108 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders That's a big part of the reason why I've been buying almost exclusively from MCS for the last year. With all the trauma in third-party grading, having their tightly graded label on my books adds significant value for me. They also seem to be emerging as the only well-known grader whose reputation is fully intact.
Post 109 IP   flag post
@flanders
Nothing wrong with adjusting priorities.
Post 110 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Modern / variant bubble has caused much of this. Not placing blame, or justifying poor excuses, but for true cause-effect it is core.

I suspect there is another issue that is specific to CBCS. It's been my theory for a couple years now that the final authority making the rules is someone who is removed from the consequences. By that I mean that I think there is someone in a parent company telling them what they can't do and what they must do. And I believe that person's focus is 100% on maximizing revenues. I suspect that the really bad decisions are not being made by people inside the company who operate the day-to-day business and who have to actually live with the consequences. More likely it is someone who is permanently operating in more of an "end-game" mindset.

Highly likely.

Of course it is self-defeating to have that mindset. Often it is poorly selected incentives too (at any level). Causing -or- compounding.
Post 111 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Well.. This came a little late for at least 367 comics..

Post 112 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

I agree that there may be someone from the parent company telling them they need to increase revenue, but I think that for someone at a "corporate level" to tell CBCS to direct their employees to ship to other employee's homes to help speed up the receiving process is too deep in the weeds. I think it's more likely that someone from a higher level probably told CBCS that their turnaround times are too high, customer satisfaction levels are low, and complaints were getting out of hand, and to get it fixed. Then, the local CBCS team brainstormed and came up with that crazy solution.

Large corporations that own many entities rarely gets involved with the day to day operations of smaller operations. They may provide them service and sales metrics and tell them to get to target but they're hardly going to give them specific directions on what to do. That's why they have the many layers of managers in place and that's what they're paid to do...give directions to the team to help the team drive towards corporate goals.
Post 113 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
Quote:
Quote:

I agree that there may be someone from the parent company telling them they need to increase revenue, but I think that for someone at a "corporate level" to tell CBCS to direct their employees to ship to other employee's homes to help speed up the receiving process is too deep in the weeds. I think it's more likely that someone from a higher level probably told CBCS that their turnaround times are too high, customer satisfaction levels are low, and complaints were getting out of hand, and to get it fixed. Then, the local CBCS team brainstormed and came up with that crazy solution.

Large corporations that own many entities rarely gets involved with the day to day operations of smaller operations. They may provide them service and sales metrics and tell them to get to target but they're hardly going to give them specific directions on what to do. That's why they have the many layers of managers in place and that's what they're paid to do...give directions to the team to help the team drive towards corporate goals.

That's pretty much exactly how it works. Though I have seen the consequences when a corporate bigwig starts telling the worker bees what to do even though the guy has no clue how things really work at that level. It ain't pretty. Over 20 employees from sales quit en masse one Monday morning and went to the competition. Ouch.
Post 114 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I think I will start a new company...
Z

Post 115 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
Well.. This came a little late for at least 367 comics..

vault looks great..

Meanwhile, after school in the grading room

Post 116 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
Not to divert from the seriousness of our chosen grading company's issues, but this made me laugh

Post 117 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Now for someone to walk up to a CGC booth at a con with that shirt.
It'd be a good episode of Impractical Jokers.
Post 118 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Now for someone to walk up to a CGC booth at a con with that shirt.
It'd be a good episode of Impractical Jokers.

Would be funny.

But as for the shirt, I think it's "In God We Intrust America"

Post 119 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

These are amazing. I'll have to buy at least 1.
Post 120 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:

I think I will start a new company...
Z

Funny! Thanks - I needed that for a Friday!
Post 121 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
This was posted on Instacrap minutes ago..I certainly was not expecting a response.

Post 122 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Wow. I am deeply surprised. Didn't think they had it in them.
Post 123 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
There is no integrity if what is being claimed is really what happened. This investigation should have happened months ago. They only recently told CMC the reason why his books were missing.
Post 124 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Wow. I am deeply surprised. Didn't think they had it in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
There is no integrity if what is being claimed is really what happened. This investigation should have happened months ago. They only recently told CMC the reason why his books were missing.

With an official thread created by CBCS along with the fact that I've made plenty of comments already, I'm going to sit back and observe from this point forward.
Post 125 IP   flag post
I want to see how this plays out before I make any decisions/judgments.

PS: CBCS has a little competition. I just sent CGC a request for status on a submission I had seen nothing on for quite a while. In response I received a brush-off email saying it was never entered into their system and there is no sign it ever existed. Thanks for the backhanded accusation that I fabricated the claim. Jerks. Too bad for them I still have a link to the packing slip their website generated for me, a screenshot from their website of my submissions that clearly shows that submission #, and the tracking number from the parcel that is shown as having been delivered to their facility using their own tracking tool.

CBCS made an epic, unfathomable screw-up, am I am still stunned that it ever even happened, but at least they didn't freakin' LIE and SHIFT BLAME when they got called on it.
Post 126 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
I want to see how this plays out before I make any decisions/judgments.

PS: CBCS has a little competition. I just sent CGC a request for status on a submission I had seen nothing on for quite a while. In response I received a brush-off email saying it was never entered into their system and there is no sign it ever existed. Thanks for the backhanded accusation that I fabricated the claim. Jerks. Too bad for them I still have a link to the packing slip their website generated for me, a screenshot from their website of my submissions that clearly shows that submission #, and the tracking number from the parcel that is shown as having been delivered to their facility using their own tracking tool.

CBCS made an epic, unfathomable screw-up, am I am still stunned that it ever even happened, but at least they didn't freakin' LIE and SHIFT BLAME when they got called on it.

Been through that myself with CGC. Good luck! I eventually got a $50 credit for complaining about them losing one of my books- which they never would admit to having lost, as it was the ONE book out of 25 that I accidentally forgot to put on my invoice. Haven't made that mistake since, as it apparently means *freebies!* to CGC employees.
Post 127 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
pretty sure I'm just gonna hold off on any more submissions for a wile - 3 orders in the pipeline at CBCS and 1 with CFP to make its way to CGC....maybe next year??

p.s. - still hate the way CBCS has pricing for VSP - from the add on page we have $25 for only 1 sig on a book but $30 for the first sig and $20 for additional sigs but on the main pricing page we have VSP as $20/book any date max FMV of 4k

stupidest thing I've seen in a long time and literally has me just holding my books because it is so stupid.

When you enter an order first sig jumps from $25 to $30 when you add a 2nd - and 2nd is $20 - either say 1st is $30 and 2nd is $20..or F it all and it's just $25 or $20 per sig no matter how many sigs, even better $25 for 1st and $20 for additional - why oh why does the first sig jump from $25 to $30!

It's a small thing but it points to that if they can't get even a small thing right then how will they handle other larger issues - case in point - lost 367 books - so they aren't handling the larger things well either
Post 128 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe they tossed the 367 books to clear a desk or two so we could get #SOON Magazine grading??
Post 129 IP   flag post
@SidTheSquid
Ouch! I'm sorry about your book! My submission is clearly on the packing slip, including what I valued it at. If they blow me off with a $50 dollar credit (fraction of declared value), I will NOT be a happy camper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheSquid
Haven't made that mistake since, as it apparently means *freebies!* to CGC employees.

I wish I could say I didn't believe that could happen, but...
Post 130 IP   flag post
602152 170 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?