Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature ASPGrading Help NeededQuestionsSignatures

Facilitator Question18250

I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Sorry, CGC still wins the Eff-Up award, though there is now a runner-up that wasn't there previously.

I'm on the fence about this one. I'd like to know the end result, hopefully within a few weeks, before I form an opinion. As it stands now, 367 books that were in CBCS's possession in July 2021 are missing. I can't imagine that all 367 of them were pressed and if they were submitted at the standard tier, they should've been completed by February to March 2022 (This is when my July 2021 order was completed). If there was no pressing, then what's been going on the last 5 months? Has CBCS been ignoring the issue? Sounds like one of the higher ups already made the mistake of admitting the books left the facility and went to an employee's home out of state (and most likely, never expected McDonald to post this information publicly).

I doubt Clan McDonald would have made this issue public if CBCS hadn't been giving them the runaround for months, providing awful customer service, and doing little to nothing to resolve the issue. I know if I was in business with someone for years and had a positive relationship with them I'd have to be furious with them to make a public post giving so many specific details.

As someone that has been a loyal CBCS customer for about 4 years now, I wouldn't even think to disclose the details of books being sent out of state to an employee's home, unless I never planned on doing business with the company again. I'd expect CBCS to resolve the issue and wouldn't want to damage their brand publicly because I had one bad experience in 4 years. McDonald must be livid with CBCS, and was clearly so angry he exercised incredibly poor judgment when he decided to disclose those details. He's probably calmed down a bit now and realized he shouldn't have done anything more than contacted customer's individually and provided far more limited details, but the damage is already done.

Also, this is far easier said than done. Clan McDonald was going back and forth with CBCS for months while they did nothing to resolve the issue. I can't really blame him for blowing a gasket.
Post 51 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Personally losing the books is god awful. But shipping the books off site is what gets me. I dont see how that was a good idea no matter how you spin it. I know cgc claims 3 graders, per book. I always assumed that it was same at cbcs. If the off site shipping did occur, I don't see how the 3 grader rule applies.
Post 52 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I am reserving judgement until CBCS addresses this.

@Bronte I immediately thought of the 3 grader process as well.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Personally losing the books is god awful. But shipping the books off site is what gets me. I dont see how that was a good idea no matter how you spin it. I know cgc claims 3 graders, per book. I always assumed that it was same at cbcs. If the off site shipping did occur, I don't see how the 3 grader rule applies.

I think I saw that it was for the purpose of logging books into the system. I don't know if that extended to grading as well. Regardless, it's still an epic screw-up that should never have happened because shipping other people's valuables around the country needlessly while you're a custodian for those valuables is beyond unwise.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
I can't really blame him for blowing a gasket.

Neither can I. Perfectly natural reaction to receiving horrendous news like that.
Post 55 IP   flag post

The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
My question for those reserving judgement, do you think that an actual public announcement will be made?
Post 56 IP   flag post
Quote:
My question for those reserving judgement, do you think that an actual public announcement will be made?

I'm reserving judgment while acknowledging that someone messed up ba-a-a-ad and there's no getting around that.

That being said, I have to wonder if there will be any kind of announcement. Good question.
Post 57 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
I'm waiting to see how CBCS deals with this before I submit another order, either directly or through or Clan McDonald.

Flanders pretty much summed up my feelings about this up above, it's a royal f###-up and how CBCS handles the clean up, or cover up, will probably determine whether or not I'm out of the slabbing game
Post 58 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

It seems like a big enough issue that CBCS or Clan McDonald would want to make the resolution known publicy. I don't think keeping it private and hoping the collecting community forgets about it, is the right approach. There's too high potential for individual Clan McDonald customers, whose books may have been lost, to make a post on social media about this. CBCS might as well make the resolution and an apology public first to try to gain the upper hand.
Post 59 IP   flag post
@flanders

That's the logical approach. Unfortunately, logic isn't always the chosen path. I hope you are right tbough...
Post 60 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABitEvil
will probably determine whether or not I'm out of the slabbing game

That's what is agitating me the most. I've seen so many slabs with grades I don't agree with from both companies over the years, including hundreds that are flat out wrong and overgraded, that a large part of me thinks 3rd party grading of all kinds, not just comics, is absolute rubbish. We'll see what happens, but I might be done with slabbing as well. And all this, after coming off a high of hating on CGC and promoting CBCS only weeks ago makes it even more disappointing...oh well.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Quote:

They will have to acknowledge this in some way.....especially if all those books remain lost. The owners of those books will force CBCS to acknowledge it as they will undoubtedly all go public about it.

How CBCS responds will dictate public judgement.
Post 62 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

They will have to acknowledge this in some way.....especially if all those books remain lost. The owners of those books will force CBCS to acknowledge it as they will undoubtedly all go public about it.

And how soon.
Post 63 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

And how soon.

Definitely...time is of the essence. CBCS would be wise to address this publicly sooner than later.
Post 64 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
maybe this was all an attempt to lower TATs???

i.e. lose a few books = lower TATs, customer mistrust = fewer submissions = lower TATs
Post 65 IP   flag post
You aiming for a suspension?
You just had your thread deleted and now this?
Post 66 IP   flag post
Quote:
You aiming for a suspension?
You just had your thread deleted and now this?

to be fair - I asked for it to be deleted as I was unaware the issue was already covered
Post 67 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I think I laughed. But I think it was also one of those nervous laughters
Post 68 IP   flag post
Apparently, I am easily annoyed. Rbolton private msg quote post Address this user
After this kind of behavior I do not think I will ever be able to trust this company with my property again, the lack of respect shown for customers valued possessions is staggering.
Post 69 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbolton
After this kind of behavior I do not think I will ever be able to trust this company with my property again, the lack of respect shown for customers valued possessions is staggering.

I think it's really just the ## - I would expect a book to get misplaced or lost now and then - no one. no process is ever 100% and things walk out the door (old GM? Ford? plant in town the guys got nabbed running parts for 1960's cars on a night shift - that's a whole shift of guys in on it with a way to sell them!! late 80's early 90's this happened)

Its the 367 books from one submitter - that's like whole orders or boxes at a time!

No apparent idea when/how it happened is also concerning - was it due to the extra shipping to an employees home? was it due to the move?? - doesn't appear to be a root cause identified by CBCS

I would think for a move that barcoded books go into a box, barcoded box goes on a pallet, barcoded pallet goes into a truck (that is sealed!) and then everything gets unloaded and verified on the receiving end

Really want to know that CBCS knows what happened and policies/procedures are now in place to reduce the risk of this happening again!
Post 70 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
was it due to the move??

It 100% has nothing to do with the move. The books were lost/misplaced months before then.
Post 71 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
was it due to the move??

It 100% has nothing to do with the move. The books were lost/misplaced months before then.

at least the internet is full of people who realize that CBCS is likely working furiously to figure out what happened and will give them the time and space to respond correctly after a thorough investigation.........
Post 72 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

That's what is agitating me the most. I've seen so many slabs with grades I don't agree with from both companies over the years, including hundreds that are flat out wrong and overgraded, that a large part of me thinks 3rd party grading of all kinds, not just comics, is absolute rubbish. We'll see what happens, but I might be done with slabbing as well. And all this, after coming off a high of hating on CGC and promoting CBCS only weeks ago makes it even more disappointing...oh well.

It sure feels like both of the premiere grading companies are doing their best to clutch defeat from the jaws of assured victory. It seems bizarre, but it's probably not uncommon. I bet a lot of smallish businesses are better prepared to survive in lean times than they are prepared to consume a feast that is dropped on their plates.
Post 73 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
there needs to be

Every social media commentary I've seen on cgc uf4 stuff up now turns around and says something along lines of " but it's arguably not as bad as having your books sent to someone's house by the competition for grading and lost altogether"
Post 74 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
Quote:

It sure feels like both of the premiere grading companies are doing their best to clutch defeat from the jaws of assured victory. It seems bizarre, but it's probably not uncommon. I bet a lot of smallish businesses are better prepared to survive in lean times than they are prepared to consume a feast that is dropped on their plates.
the own goals are very real at this point.
Post 75 IP   flag post
Case in point..

Post 76 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbolton

This is the basic issue isn't it? This happened to Steve and a couple hundred of his customers in one fell swoop because someone got desperate and stupid. I have some decent books in my collection, but take a look at the Golden Age thread and see some of that stuff and think about the level of trust that the owners put in handing over books that can almost literally be called priceless to CBCS. To think that your books might have been sent to some guy's house, left on their porch with a pile of other packages (I pretty distinctly remember him saying they were sent without tracking!) is a disturbing lack of consideration for the safety and security of their customer's property.

Look. I worked in a hospital through the whole pandemic. At one point my shift was down to myself and two other staff members. I absolutely understand how it feels to be overwhelmed, exhausted, desperate and pretty much defeated by a monster pile of awfulness that gets no smaller no matter how hard you work. That doesn't mean you get to cut corners, in my work that can kill a person, the stakes here aren't even close, they're just comics. But imagine if porch pirates made off with 20 boxes of rare comics and just tossed them because selling them wouldn't be worth the hassle, that could pretty much kill this company because of stupid carelessness. We hope, if this is SOP... I don't want to think about it.

I've been using CBCS for five years, I'm not a big time collector or person with a business at stake but I've spent a lot of money grading books so if there's not a satisfactory conclusion to Steve's situation I don't see how I (or anyone) could continue to do business with CBCS. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, now that the problem has been identified and made very public we'd better see some next level damage control.
Post 77 IP   flag post
We need to see some transparency because this has officially gone far too public for it to just go bye-bye. This is not a matter of ignoring it to see if it goes away. We need to see some contrition because this was a next level screw-up. Everyone screws up, but not everyone screws up this bad. We need to see some action because it has got to get fixed one way or another. Not getting any one of these three things will be a disaster. Getting all three will not equal hunky-dory, but it has a chance of being better than things are now. How much of a chance remains to be seen.
Post 78 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Looks like someone was told to remove the story from the thread but in part of it he states it was just to enter the books into the system. "Receiving".
Still seems risky and unprofessional.
Post 79 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
In my crystal ball, I see a future where I can choose a company based on value they provide to me; not which one is currently screwing up less than the other.

Can ya imagine that world where the petty criteria of label type and case discussion is actually meaningful? Instead we get incompetence there and incompetence here.

I ask myself how long would either of these companies survive in an business environment that has true competition instead of only seeking to slightly out perform the other.

"Growing pains" for either company, as a response, isn't cutting it anymore.

If it weren't for the stupid amount of money being thrown around for a "professionally graded comic", that we, the hobbyists have allowed to happen, I'd surely be out of this. I have enough headaches in my life to not have to deal with these 2 consistent migraines
Post 80 IP   flag post
614878 170 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?