Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature ASPGrading Help NeededQuestionsSignatures

Facilitator Question18250

Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Has anyone here used Clan MacDonald Comics as a facilitator? Or have anything noteworthy to share about their services?

Thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I've never used them but there is a post about some trouble they've had with CBCS lately on the CBCS Facebook page that you may want to check out.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cbcscomics

Here's part of it:
Post 2 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
I would have waited for more information before posting about it. At least contact the customers whose were actually lost or currently in accounted for if that’s the case and go from there. Why create a shit storm for yourself? Of course everyone is going to question their books now; you said hold on after
Post 3 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@Drogio
I have used them once. They were the facilitator for a signing with George Perez that happened right before the signing with CGC that was canceled due to his failing health (RIP, Mr. Perez). I wanted to send a book to the earlier signing because I had a rare variant (La Mole Mexican black variant) of Infinity Gauntlet #1 that was already signed by Jim Starlin. If I sent it to CGC they would treat the Starlin signature as graffiti and I didn't want that. Clan McDonald uses CBCS, so I sent it through them to get the signature from Perez and a verification for the Starlin signature. I don't have the book back yet because I asked for a pressing (I do that for any book I send in for a signing). I did email Clan McDonald to ask for an update a couple weeks ago and they very kindly replied to me. I still have a while to wait but I will most likely receive my book back by the end of the year, possibly as early as November. This is the first time I ever sent a book through them and so far it's going well. For a book that's getting signing/authentication/verification/pressing/encapsulation, I was expecting it to take forever anyway.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@flanders
DAYUM!!! This is the first I'm hearing about that! That's terrible!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
367 books is quite a lot.

How can anyone with strict controls on logistics an processing misplace that many?

That sounds odd.

*shrugs*
Post 6 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
If a barcode is attached to each book, it should be easy to locate.
Maybe it's time to attach tracking device to each book to prevent this from happening.
They are small enough now-a-days. Of course they would need to buy like several hundred thousand of them.
But, they could be removed before encapsulation and used on the next submitted book.
Just a thought, but they would be able to find the books anywhere.

Here is an example. Not sure if there are other similar ones, but like everything, price comes down with time and with bulk orders...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256801802342106.html?spm=a2g0o.ppclist.product.2.1cf6CMyTCMyTx4&_t=pvid:2c2614f9-f052-4b5b-9b45-bf4597400fc2&afTraceInfo=1005001988656858__pc__pcBridgePPC__xxxxxx__1661308968
Post 7 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Wish we could read the rest of that post without having to join
Post 8 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Steve McDonald stated in his group that screenshots of his comments are not be shared.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
Wow. All I can say.
Post 10 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
@Drogio So, what book were you going to submit and for which signing?
Post 11 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O
Thank you for putting that all together. I really appreciate it. I'm hoping this all gets sorted out to as satisfactory a conclusion as is possible. What a shame...
Post 12 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
No one will ever blame him for being brief, succinct, or concise.
If this is all true I feel terrible for the guy, but I'd rather stick forks in my eyes than read that again.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Wish we could read the rest of that post without having to join

I hear you. Not a fan of FB at all and I refuse to join. I can get my giggles elsewhere. Here, for example. Far more intelligent conversations than FB (no, seriously) and no politics! WOOT!!
Post 14 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you @Jesse_O
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
They sent customer's books to an employee's house to be received? WOW.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheSquid

I'm pretty stunned, too. Whoever made that decision needs to be given a time-out so they can consider a new career path.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Belarak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Has anyone here used Clan MacDonald Comics as a facilitator? Or have anything noteworthy to share about their services?

Thanks.

I have used CMC on two occasions. I sent in a Batman book in April of 2021 to be signed by Stanley Artgerm Lau. I got the book back in July of 2022. To be fair they had issues getting Lau to return the books and then of course the long TAT from CBCS. The second book I sent was Maestro #1 1:25 Perez cover to the Perez signing. There was a small crease that could be pressed. I knew the TAT's at CBCS were over a year for pressing so I said for them to ship my book back to me after the signing. The book came back with damage on the bottom. It looks like someone might have removed the book from the CGC signature window bag and when they put it back in, the bottom was cut and torn by the bottom of the window. When I sent them an email with the following: "I know my Maestro #1 was out of your hands to be signed by George Perez, but it came back with damage that wasn’t there before. I’ve added photos to show you what I found." I am upset that the book was damaged but I am also grateful that they were able to get the signing done. What surprised me was I never heard back from them on my email. I didn't really want anything other than an apology or at least some sympathy to the damage. The book isn't worth grading now but I will always hold it in some esteem for the fact that it was one of the last books he ever signed.

Would I use them again? Probably They are one of the few companies that offer CBCS grading. If they offer another signing for an artist I want and they continue to use CBCS in the future I will more than likely send them more books.

Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I’d be careful with that information.

the comment could very well have originated as a joke running around the office and the wrong person hears it out of context, takes it seriously…next thing you know it’s a rumor being spread to customers. At the moment it’s heresay. Keep that in mind.

I just wanted to know if anyone could vouch for CMC’s credibility, being it’s the internet and I’m not a member of the private Facebook group. Was not expecting or asking for the whole spiel to get posted.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
If any or all of this is true, it actually answers a LOT of questions and should probably be posted in the TAT thread. There are multiple people with outstanding June 2021 orders still MIA while September submissions are being returned.

When they say they "lost" books this never made sense to me. Either they're in a box someone in the vault that needs to be located, or, someone stole them. But now, you add this additional layer of potentially shipping them around extra times without sufficiently tracking them and there's a whole other level of incompetence that seriously undermines their credibility.

If this did all happen, CBCS or Beckett, or whomever needed to say this and be transparent much earlier. They need to come clean now and own up to it. What the hell is wrong with these companies? Is it really that they both got bought out by larger entities and have lost all sense of direction?

I use SR International, almost exclusively, as a facilitator when I need one.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I just wanted to know if anyone could vouch for CMC’s credibility,

I can. I've been Facebook friends with Steven McDonald and a member of CMC since he started with CBCS. Steve is a great guy and a straight shooter. He is very passionate about the hobby and the community. If he says this is what he was told, it's what he was told. Of that, I have no doubt.

Edit. If he had any reason to doubt the information, he would not have shared it.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

I’d be careful with that information.

the comment could very well have originated as a joke running around the office and the wrong person hears it out of context, takes it seriously…next thing you know it’s a rumor being spread to customers. At the moment it’s heresay. Keep that in mind.

I just wanted to know if anyone could vouch for CMC’s credibility, being it’s the internet and I’m not a member of the private Facebook group. Was not expecting or asking for the whole spiel to get posted.

This is what CMC said was told to them. Either they DID send the books out to an employee's home to get graded or they really did lose 367 books from one customer. I wouldn't put it past them to take short cuts. Hell, they've allowed customers to witness their own book signings to expedite things.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:

I'm pretty stunned, too. Whoever made that decision needs to be given a time-out so they can consider a new career path.

If they actually did this then the person running the show isn't doing a very good job.
Post 23 IP   flag post
It seems like both companies are trying to copy what PGX has been accused of doing in the past, ignoring defects and grading comics from a personal residence.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
They sent customer's books to an employee's house to be received?

Better check Bill & Fred's house for all those missing submissions.

Post 25 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I was wondering why I got a shipment of 367 graded books from CBCS the other day.
J/K!!!!
Post 26 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
CGC: "We graded invisible comics then graded bootlegged acetates. How embarrassing"

CBCS: "Hold our beers"
Post 27 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
CGC: "We graded invisible comics then graded bootlegged acetates. How embarrassing"

Everyone is always drinking beer in these scenarios.
Post 28 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:

I have it in good confidence that sending books and/or taking books to an employee's house for multiple purposes, logging, pre-screening and grading have been a practice going way back into the days at CGC before CBCS was founded.

And misplacing (loosing) books has happened many times. It is an unfortunate and unacceptable with today's technology.
Post 29 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros

Everyone is always drinking beer in these scenarios.

I would hate to think sober people are the ones grading invisible books, or losing 367 of them.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601196 170 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?