Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector bythegram private msg quote post Address this user
I think I’ve convinced myself to save my money and send in a handful of books (including a McFarlane signed one or two), to CBCS verification. I’ve been putting it off but might as well just get the lot in.
Post 101 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
IMO, Chris Hemsworth is a terrible portrayal of Thor.

He doesn't have the chiseled features, he doesn't have the accent, and he looks like it's been years since he last bathed.

Post 102 IP   flag post
Collector KMiracleman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
I was watching this thread hoping I’d see a post or a new thread start about the Frank Miller signing that Miller was doing at a Con. A remarked, signed Miller CGG slabbed book was about $350.00. It was a steal compared to what remarked books go for anywhere else.

IMHO - having seen a ton of Frank Miller "signatures"...hard pass. He's one of those creators who just doesn't seem to give a toss about legibility or being creative; his "signature" is just a scribbled line. I wouldn't pay a penny for his signature, and I'll bet his remarques are rushed (and lame) as well. Same thing with Garth Ennis and Alan Davis. I'm not making any comment about their artistic talents (they're professionals, I'm not...'nuff said), just giving my two cents. Yes, Todd charges a high premium, but at least you can READ HIS SIGNATURE and there's a certain "aesthetic" to his signature that's pleasing to the eye. Fun fact: I attended NYCC during the last year of Jammin' Gene Colan's life, and even he, with partial blindness and a host of other physical ailments, took the time to give this fan a legible signature that I cherish to this day.
Post 103 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMiracleman
Quote:
I was watching this thread hoping I’d see a post or a new thread start about the Frank Miller signing that Miller was doing at a Con. A remarked, signed Miller CGG slabbed book was about $350.00. It was a steal compared to what remarked books go for anywhere else.

IMHO - having seen a ton of Frank Miller "signatures"...hard pass. He's one of those creators who just doesn't seem to give a toss about legibility or being creative; his "signature" is just a scribbled line. I wouldn't pay a penny for his signature, and I'll bet his remarques are rushed (and lame) as well. Same thing with Garth Ennis and Alan Davis. I'm not making any comment about their artistic talents (they're professionals, I'm not...'nuff said), just giving my two cents. Yes, Todd charges a high premium, but at least you can READ HIS SIGNATURE and there's a certain "aesthetic" to his signature that's pleasing to the eye. Fun fact: I attended NYCC during the last year of Jammin' Gene Colan's life, and even he, with partial blindness and a host of other physical ailments, took the time to give this fan a legible signature that I cherish to this day.

What doesn’t work for you works for others. That’s what is great about the hobby. 🍻

Post 104 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMiracleman
Quote:

I fully understand your point. However as a long term holder of comics, for me, I see the future value of the artist.
Post 105 IP   flag post

The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I got a response from cgc. They want the window bag even if they are pressing

Below is the email.

Thank you for your email,  Yes we ask that you still provide these for the signing, Here is a link on how to make your own window bags found in a post on our chat boards:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/241753-how-to-window-bag-your-books-for-ss-with-photos/
Post 106 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
now I'm waffling.... my ASM 300 is a CBCS 9.4

If I send to CGC with a press will they treat me/grade me poorly because it is/was CBCS??
Post 107 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
In theory they crack book out and the graders never see

Edit

Granted I'm hedging my bets and using cgc window bags
Post 108 IP   flag post
I suppose I could use CGC window bags but I reallllly don't like his signature on spidey...might make my own (if I send in) and try to get it where the window is in the 300's to the right of spidey?

also worried about grade drop...but I suppose a 9.2 signed is "worth" about the same as 9.4 unsigned?
Post 109 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
now I'm waffling.... my ASM 300 is a CBCS 9.4

If I send to CGC with a press will they treat me/grade me poorly because it is/was CBCS??

In a perfect world both companies even though they are competitors would work together and say “hey, will keep the autograph certification of our competitor as long as the slab is still sealed”

I know it’ll probably never happen, but you never know. Then again, I never thought in a million years that we would have so many Star Wars television shows and movies after return of the Jedi. 😂
Post 110 IP   flag post
@KatKomics maybe after pressing, it might bump up to 9.6..
Post 111 IP   flag post
I had sent in a chromium 300 at a 9.6 pressed and it came back as a 9.8 so there is a "chance" of a better outcome....
Post 112 IP   flag post
Collector xvipah private msg quote post Address this user
I know CBCS recognized CGC witnessed signatures and keeps them in place. Not sure if the same holds true the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007

In a perfect world both companies even though they are competitors would work together and say heard will keep the autograph certification of our competitor as long as the slab is still sealed”
Post 113 IP   flag post
@xvipah really!!??? I had no clue! Do we have anything in writing to confirm that?
Post 114 IP   flag post
Quote:
@xvipah really!!??? I had no clue! Do we have anything in writing to confirm that?

not sure if it's in writing but that has been the case for years now....CGC doesn't reciprocate though
Post 115 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

not sure if it's in writing but that has been the case for years now....CGC doesn't reciprocate though

I would double check that. I remember a while back seeing something that CBCS would only honor cgc yellow labels from a certain date and going back. This was caused by some CGC controversy with witnessed signatures a few years back. I lose track of all the "controveries" of both grading companies.
Post 116 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcanes
Quote:
Quote:

I would double check that. I remember a while back seeing something that CBCS would only honor cgc yellow labels from a certain date and going back. This was caused by some CGC controversy with witnessed signatures a few years back. I lose track of all the "controveries" of both grading companies.

@Hcanes it was that way for a short time. The decision was reversed. CBCS honors CGC Signature Series slabs from any time frame now. And, CGC has never honored CBCS witnessed or verified slabs.
Post 117 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
I got a response from cgc. They want the window bag even if they are pressing

Below is the email.

Thank you for your email,  Yes we ask that you still provide these for the signing, Here is a link on how to make your own window bags found in a post on our chat boards:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/241753-how-to-window-bag-your-books-for-ss-with-photos/

i wish it was on their web site instructions for when we ship.

saying "we ask that you do", is not the same as "include a window bag with each book to be pressed"
Post 118 IP   flag post
@multi007

They used to explicitly state a 5 dollar fee if you didn't include a window bag. This time I didn't see that in the wording. But I didn't go hunting for it either
Post 119 IP   flag post
Well, Just sent off my 2nd and final shipment of books for TM signing...

Bought several graded 9.8s Signature Series King Spawn (Greg Capullo), 9.8 Spawn #1s, and one Venom #1 to send off. Picked up several King Spawn #1 Variant B and H raws to send in too.

Fingers crossed the grades remain (and the raws come back with) 9.8s...
Post 120 IP   flag post
Question. I'm on tbe fence on a book fir the signing. It is gunslinger 1 foil from the buy mcfarlane toy promo. Should I get it signed?

Post 121 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Question. I'm on tbe fence on a book fir the signing. It is gunslinger 1 foil from the buy mcfarlane toy promo. Should I get it signed?

Do it!!! Besides the original Spawn, Medieval Spawn and Gunslinger Spawn are great characters!!
Post 122 IP   flag post
@Bronte definitely. I sent one 9.8 graded in to get signed too. Here’s the one I sent in. Good luck!

This is a chance of a lifetime. Don’t miss out, you’ll regret it.
Post 123 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
solved
Post 124 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
So I have 28 books I am sending in for Todd McFarlane's signature.

Even though I never paid the $199 annual fee I was able to log into my account and complete the online form.

Usually grading fees on dealer accounts are lower than those for other accounts.

Before CGC introduced the annual fee I did the previous McFarlane signing as well as submitting books for Robert Downey Jr.

For both of those signings dealers were charged the same price as everyone else.

Is there any reason I should pay the $199 annual fee if they allow me to submit these books without doing so?
Post 125 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos I also submitted a book to CGC's Todd McFarlane signing. I do not have a CGC membership but was allowed to submit. This is the only signing, or submission for that matter, that I'm aware of where CGC has allowed without an active membership. I don't think you can submit anything else, in-house signings or otherwise, without a paid membership.
Post 126 IP   flag post
@GAC I have a free CGC account, and I’ve submitted many in house signings. Dini, McFarland, Ron marz…

Signings are open to all.
Post 127 IP   flag post
Quote:
@GAC I have a free CGC account, and I’ve submitted many in house signings. Dini, McFarland, Ron marz…

Signings are open to all.

Interesting! I tried to submit to another signing and received and error. I assumed it was because I didn't have a paid membership. It looks like the error I recived may just have been a technical thing.

Thanks for clarifying!!
Post 128 IP   flag post
I just sent another 4 books to be signed. I think my dumb ass sent 4 different submissions. The only good thing about that is the credit cards got hit at different times so I didn't get railed with one big bill. For some reason, I kept remembering stuff at different times. I really need to get organized.
Post 129 IP   flag post
@Bronte same. I did 13, 4 x 3 submissions. Lol
Post 130 IP   flag post
601357 336 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?