Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Guess the Grade - Detective Comics 40518182

Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
So got this off eBay, and the one thing I couldn’t see from the seller’s photos was the small chip on the back cover. I’m still thrilled to have it but definitely curious as to what fellow members here think it will grade at with a press. The chip makes me think I can’t get better than 7.5.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
I once received a CGC 9.0 with a chip slightly larger than that on a silver age Marvel.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Here are some cruddy photos of my #405 that came back an 8.0 and the back cover of yours will look better than the back cover of mine once you get that soiling off. Mine even has a chip out, too, at the lower left corner. Definitely get yours cleaned and pressed! My book has a nicer spine, but yours doesn't have the staining on the back cover.

Post 3 IP   flag post
@CaptainCanuck @Byrdibyrd Thanks! Gives me some hope as I’d love to snag an 8.0 or 8.5 on it. Appreciate the input!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector ticktocktyler private msg quote post Address this user
The graded one was a gift grade. That one looks like a 7.0 at best. The raw copy is also a 7.0 because of the chip(s) but also because of the lower left corner hit, and the spine bends along the mid upper back spine.

Sweet presenting book. Maybe a press by someone who is good would bring it to 8.0. I would keep it raw myself and wait for a cherry raw copy or even graded.
Post 5 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@lawguy1977

I see it as a 7.5 (if it cleans and presses nicely)
But with @WestStephen leading the way, you are assured of an accurate grade at CBCS...
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
I was coming in with a max of 7.0, but I'm not sure I'm any good at grading...especially from pictures.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Appreciate it, everyone! Happy with the copy, even at a 7.0, I will likely grade it at some point, I’m just struggling waiting a year for the book to come back.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector ticktocktyler private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawguy1977
Appreciate it, everyone! Happy with the copy, even at a 7.0, I will likely grade it at some point, I’m just struggling waiting a year for the book to come back.

It's a great book in nice shape. A must in any Adams DC collection.

Perhaps sending a book to be graded and waiting a year to get it back is the key to extended life. The year will drag on forever. Submit one book per year and we can live to be 520 years old! Haha.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@ticktocktyler lol!
Post 10 IP   flag post
600884 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?