Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

New York Comicon - 10 months and nothing18171

I called CGC about the giveback benefit. beastboy1980 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastboy1980

to each his own but how can anyone be happy with a company that is taking a year to grade orders that are paid for for that long in a recession.

The bolded word negates how this sentence begins. You can't believe "to each their own" and then indicate that anyone who doesn't believe as you do is wrong.

The product you're paying for is an accurate grade on a comic sealed in a protective case. My experience has been CBCS has a better case. CBCS has more accurate grading. If it takes me longer to get a superior product for which I'm actually paying, then I'm OK with that. Multiple people across this forum have repeatedly told you the same thing. If you're still incapable of understanding this position (whether you agree with it or not) by continuing to repeat yourself, that's just willful ignorance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastsk8
While I'm not at all happy with certain things happening at cgc, I have to agree. I'm not going to wait a year+ to get books back when I can get them back within a few months for basically the same price.

Right, we all have preferences for whose BS to put up with based on how/why we collect. You're unhappy with CGC's integrity/product, but you at least get it back fast; completely valid position. This is particularly true for people who are looking to sell.

and explain to me how cbcs grades betetr than cgc ?

its all subjective

and if this was the case then why does cgc comics get a higher dollar value.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I called CGC about the giveback benefit. beastboy1980 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
Quote:

to each his own but how can anyone be happy with a company that is taking a year to grade orders that are paid for for that long in a recession.

The bolded word negates how this sentence begins. You can't believe "to each their own" and then indicate that anyone who doesn't believe as you do is wrong.

The product you're paying for is an accurate grade on a comic sealed in a protective case. My experience has been CBCS has a better case. CBCS has more accurate grading. If it takes me longer to get a superior product for which I'm actually paying, then I'm OK with that. Multiple people across this forum have repeatedly told you the same thing. If you're still incapable of understanding this position (whether you agree with it or not) by continuing to repeat yourself, that's just willful ignorance.

Quote:
While I'm not at all happy with certain things happening at cgc, I have to agree. I'm not going to wait a year+ to get books back when I can get them back within a few months for basically the same price.

Right, we all have preferences for whose BS to put up with based on how/why we collect. You're unhappy with CGC's integrity/product, but you at least get it back fast; completely valid position. This is particularly true for people who are looking to sell.

and to you they have a better case
which is fine i like the cbcs case also

not trying to argue but i would just like to see more information and updates on the cbcs sites into what is going on. we dont see the needle or anything moving.
but yet i saw them at terrific con with a empty booth.
why do a comic show if you cant handle the work flow that is already into the place.
Post 27 IP   flag post
i would love to send in another 100 comics into cbcs over cgc

but i cant because of the non moving inside of cbcs
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Belarak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
less people would complain to cbcs if membership was free and not paid for.

Since when is CBCS require you to pay for a membership? I paid for the membership over a year ago because we got two 2-day and 3 fast pass along with a 10% discount. They don't offer that anymore so I let my PAID subscription lapse. I don't have to pay anything to submit books. If it was economically feasible to pay for the 10% discount I would, but I don't submit enough books for it to pay for itself.

Look I get you don't like the turn around times. Either pay for the GUARANTEED TAT or send them to CGC.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not happy with TATs either, but each company has issues to overcome and it's a matter of what's important to the customer when choosing which service to use. I'll deal with rubbish TATs in return for a superior product (better case, more consistent grading). Plus, CGC has made a blatant display of a lack of integrity (Acetate Gate) and I'm not going to reward them for that by giving them my business and my money. Would I like better TATs? I would love that! However, that's not more important to me than accurately graded comics encapsulated in the best case available.
Post 30 IP   flag post

cgc updated there TATS TO
35 days

it went from 55 days to 35

cbcs website zero updates yet again
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Sebastsk8 private msg quote post Address this user
I look at it this way, current TAT is roughly 11 months. With pressing, it's 3x that. 3 YEARS to get a book pressed and graded? I don't care how good the slab is or how accurate the grade, a whole lot can happen in 3 years. That just isn't acceptable tbh. And actually now looking at pricing, cgc has actually become cheaper for witnessed *new* books(39 to 40), and even cheaper for moderns(39 to 44). And for regular grade it's about the same price, 20 to 24 and 24 to 24.

It's just not a good business model. Our service will take 4x+ as long and actually cost more, but we'll give you slightly more accurate grades and a little better cases? There has to be a middle ground.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
My NYCC books are the only ones that haven't moved recently, I got the shipping email for my Fan Expo Boston yesterday (those were dropped of 9-9-21), my RI order just came in last week
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
I look at it this way, current TAT is roughly 11 months. With pressing, it's 3x that. 3 YEARS to get a book pressed and graded? I don't care how good the slab is or how accurate the grade, a whole lot can happen in 3 years. That just isn't acceptable tbh. And actually now looking at pricing, cgc has actually become cheaper for witnessed *new* books(39 to 40), and even cheaper for moderns(39 to 44). And for regular grade it's about the same price, 20 to 24 and 24 to 24.

It's just not a good business model. Our service will take 4x+ as long and actually cost more, but we'll give you slightly more accurate grades and a little better cases? There has to be a middle ground.

great points

and grading is all subjective for all the places.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belarak
Quote:
less people would complain to cbcs if membership was free and not paid for.

Since when is CBCS require you to pay for a membership? I paid for the membership over a year ago because we got two 2-day and 3 fast pass along with a 10% discount. They don't offer that anymore so I let my PAID subscription lapse. I don't have to pay anything to submit books. If it was economically feasible to pay for the 10% discount I would, but I don't submit enough books for it to pay for itself.

Look I get you don't like the turn around times. Either pay for the GUARANTEED TAT or send them to CGC.

if you dont pay you wont save any discount
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector Belarak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
if you dont pay you wont save any discount

The current membership is $200.00. You get a 10% discount. You have to submit 100 "New" or 84 "Modern" books a year just to break even. That's $2000 a year just for grading. That doesn't include shipping and other add ons. So is the discount really worth $200? Not to me.

You obviously prefer CGC and you want to make CBCS look bad on their own forums. Most of the people on this forum understand the long TAT's and we do see them making an effort to reduce them. They are the only grading company with a money back guarantee for a faster turnaround. I prefer their product, integrity and quality control. Most of my submissions are for my collection. If I want to flip a book, I'll pay for the express.

I'm sure you'll come up with another reason why CBCS sucks and why CGC is better. The horse is long dead and I won't beat on it any more. I would say one last time, you want faster turnaround times, either pay for the GUARANTEED TAT or send them to CGC.
Post 36 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I will never understand why people who constantly detract from CBCS spend their time here on the forum.

Constructive criticism is perfectly acceptable and even valued but when the subject of one's posts never change and are always critical, I really question their motivation for being here.

If you hate CBCS, this is a very strange place to spend your time....unless ofcourse you have an agenda.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
I like both companies -I use both - sell graded books from both, buy graded from both. I stay away from the others (pgx) unless its a great deal (happened once), I bought it, cracked the case, sent it in to cgc for grading. Got the same grade so I was pleased.

I do like looking up graded books from CGC and CBCS, same books, same grades, just to see who's getting better prices. For the most part, they are pretty darn even with MAYBE cgc going 5% more...
Post 38 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
One day I look forward to seeing both companies having the basic business competencies & acumen in proper order like any other company looking to survive.

From there, I can begin selecting which provides the subjective aspects/perks important to me; while maintaining the basic business aspects that must be present.

Right now, I find myself choosing from the bottom of a barrel with both having boatloads of issues that continue to resurface and never truly get resolved.

When the companies gets their sh*t together, then I'll begin using the phrase "I like them better of the two". Until then it's "I don't like either, but this one has less major issues".
Post 39 IP   flag post
@Nuffsaid111 unfortunately, I feel exactly the same. At this point I'd think someone would really have enough experience to really have it together and have things down, but that hasn't happened.

I've actually seen posts about people sending in books to the other guys(pgx), which I haven't really seen before. You'd think with what happened there, if cgc and/or cbcs truly had it together by this point, pgx shouldn't even exist anymore.
Post 40 IP   flag post
@Belarak @GAC
I'm with you. I understand frustration over TATs, but we all get it already so there's no need to bang on & on & on about it. It serves no purpose aside from annoying the people who've accepted that TATs are long right now and have been for a while, and potentially turning off new forum members to CBCS's services because the constant emphasis on that problem makes it seem worse than it actually is, and that makes me question the whiner's motives. It's just TATs that are long because our hobby got super-popular all of a sudden and the industry is still trying to cope! Get a grip!
Post 41 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd I'd be willing to accept that, but I am 100% sure cgc receives more submissions(probably by quite a large margin), and yet have been able to drastically reduce their TAT while cbcs has gotten even longer. That just doesn't add up for me.

I think my bigger gripe is being misled about time frames when submitting books. When I submitted books in October, I was told 1 month til they're received and about 6 until they'd be done. If that had happened, I'd have them back by now. Instead, it was 2 1/2 months to be received, and now I'm told 9-10 months if I'm lucky. That's a huge turnoff.

Combine that also with shortly thereafter express being introduced, which wasn't available when I submitted. Those express books that they're making more on then push back regular submissions that were in prior as they take priority due to their guarantee. So I'm just stuck in that group of people that are effed and have to wait.

You may think that is just is what it is and should be accepted, but when there's competition that's absolutely not the case. I'd like to see cbcs get it under control and end up at the top, it just seems something that won't happen anytime soon.
Post 42 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Those express books that they're making more on then push back regular submissions that were in prior as they take priority due to their guarantee. So I'm just stuck in that group of people that are effed and have to wait.

This, more than anything, had me furious.
Disingenuous at best

Them: "help with TAT is coming!"
Them: "Here's our Express service!"
Me: "Thank you sir, may I have another"
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
If TAT’s are over a 10-12 months, then CBCS needs to correct the issue by hiring a large amount of graders, or do what PSA did in the card market. In other words, they need to shut off new submissions for a period of time to correct the issue with the personnel they currently have and then reopen the flood gates.

That being said, as long as the never ending landslide of books keeps coming in there really isn’t a business need to do either of the above.
Post 44 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
A year would be 52 opportunities at the CBCS Forum Weekly Cover Contest. Do you have what it takes...?
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
If TAT’s are over a 10-12 months, then CBCS needs to correct the issue by hiring a large amount of graders, or do what PSA did in the card market. In other words, they need to shut off new submissions for a period of time to correct the issue with the personnel they currently have and then reopen the flood gates.

That being said, as long as the never ending landslide of books keeps coming in there really isn’t a business need to do either of the above.

Now that CBCS has a larger facility they'll have space for new graders. My guess would be that they didn't before and were stuck being unable to do more than they were doing already. Let's see what happens now that they have room to expand.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
@Byrdibyrd if they can hire new ones and that is a big if.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater

Now that CBCS has a larger facility they'll have space for new graders. My guess would be that they didn't before and were stuck being unable to do more than they were doing already. Let's see what happens now that they have room to expand.

My fingers are crossed for them to use some of the space for customer service personnel that the have promised they have been attempting to hire. That’s been a running discussion in a plethora of threads.
Post 48 IP   flag post
@Towmater I will say I did have success there recently. Emailed about my submission and got a response the next day. And that was well before the move. The CSR did say they were running behind and that they were very understaffed and that was the main reason for TATs being longer than they should be.
Post 49 IP   flag post
600906 49 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?