Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Michael Keaton's Batman18163

Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Michael Keaton Confesses Real Reason for Batman Return
What could convince the famously selective actor to put on the Batsuit again after 30 years?

By Joe George
August 9, 2022

After 30 years, Batman is ready to return. Sure, we’ve had more Batmen than ever before, from Ben Affleck’s grizzled Superman stomper to Robert Pattinson’s emo rich boy to George Clooney playing Batman as a handsome movie star who looks and sounds just like George Clooney. And then there’s that wiry guy from Batman and Batman Returns, the guy who sat around Wayne Manor waiting for the Bat-signal to shine.

Few actors have left a more definitive mark on the Dark Knight like Michael Keaton. When Keaton’s Bruce Wayne told Viki Vale that his life was “complex,” audiences believed it. Keaton captured the energy of a guy who only felt comfortable running around in a Batman costume, a guy who longed to meet the Joker or Catwoman or someone else who wanted to get nuts. So great was Keaton in two genre-defining movies that his departure confounds fans even today. Why would anyone give up a third chance to play Batman in a blockbuster movie?
According to a recent conversation with Variety, Keaton said no to Batman Forever because that’s what he does. “I was told that people used to refer to me as ‘Doctor No,’ because apparently, I used to say no a lot,” Keaton revealed. “I don’t think I really said no to that much.”
With such a reputation, Keaton’s decision to step out of the Batcave makes a bit more sense. Which is why it’s such a surprise that he would be game to take on the part again decades later, especially after doing a movie like Birdman, in which Keaton played an actor haunted by a past superhero role. Yet, against all odds, Keaton answered the Bat-signal’s call again when WB finally came knocking, but not just for one DCEU movie, but three: a big role in The Flash, a cameo in Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom, and a supporting role in Batgirl.

Unexpected as it may be, Keaton has the best possible reason for coming back to Gotham City. Simply put: “It seemed like fun,” Keaton told Variety. Looking at the current state of superhero movies, Keaton found himself impressed that they “have their entirely own world.” With so much going on, Keaton admitted that he “was curious what it would be like after this many years.”
Of course, Keaton isn’t exactly a stranger to the modern world of superhero franchises. Many consider his turn as Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture in Spider-Man: Homecoming to be one of the best villain performances in the MCU. Also, he was in Morbius.
But despite the key part he played in making the modern superhero movie kingdom, Keaton does not consider himself a fan of the genre, in part because he doesn’t watch any of the movies or shows. “And I don’t say that I don’t watch that because I’m highbrow — trust me! It’s not that,” he hastens to clarify. “It’s just that there’s very little things I watch. I start watching something, and think it is great and I watch three episodes, but I have other shit to do!”
Keaton has indeed been busy as of late. Between his recurring role on the Hulu series Dopesick and appearing in blockbusters such as Disney’s Dumbo, Keaton seems determined to shake off his “Doctor No” reputation. But with Batgirl suddenly shelved, his Aquaman 2 role reshot with Affleck back as Bruce Wayne, and Ezra Miller’s legal troubles putting The Flash in jeopardy, Keaton may not have quite as much shit to do as he previously thought. By all accounts, Keaton has filmed his scenes for all three movies, but since Batgirl cannot legally be shown on any platform, we may never see his Batman back in action if WB eventually decides to pull The Flash too.
Then again, it wasn’t that long ago that we thought Keaton’s Batman was a relic of pre-MCU superhero history. Keaton’s shown that he’s finally ready to say “yes” to the Bat. But will the new regime at WB give him a chance to bring his Batman back to the screens? Time will tell.
AD

The Flash is currently scheduled to hit theaters on June 23, 2023.

I think Keaton should forget about these small parts and go into talks with DC about doing Batman: The Dark Knight Returns. I think he was made for this role and I would LOVE to see him in this!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector ticktocktyler private msg quote post Address this user
I never understood the appeal of Michael Keaton in any form of Batman.

"HUGE man dressed like Dracula". Michael Keaton is 5'9" and about 175 pounds.

Please never let him be signed up for DKR.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
I think Keaton should forget about these small parts and go into talks with DC about doing Batman: The Dark Knight Returns. I think he was made for this role and I would LOVE to see him in this!

That would be amazing! I remember being so surprised at how good Michael Keaton was in the role when the movie came out. I did a huge eye-roll when I first heard he was cast, but I got over that in a hurry! He would be perfect in The Dark Knight Returns.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster

That would be amazing! I remember being so surprised at how good Michael Keaton was in the role when the movie came out. I did a huge eye-roll when I first heard he was cast, but I got over that in a hurry! He would be perfect in The Dark Knight Returns.

Ditto!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Keaton has been my favorite of all the Batman portrayers. Would love to see him do B:TDKR
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector tonyz58 private msg quote post Address this user
I like Keaton but NOT as Batman
Post 6 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
Love Keaton, not so sure he'd work in TDKR. I heard rumors that Keanu Reeves in interested in playing an older Batman, and I'm actually down for that. 20 years ago I would have said no to Keanu Reeves being in pretty much anything.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Batman79 private msg quote post Address this user
@WMorse Thanks for sharing that! 1989 was an amazing year with Batman in the theater!!! I thank that movie for cementing me into my love with Batman. Damn near perfect movie. Keaton look amazing in the batsuit!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
@Batman79 Totally agree! Been collecting Bataman ever since seeing it!
Post 10 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user

Post 11 IP   flag post
Reminded how much better Jack Nicholson's Joker was than Jared Leto's. *shudder*
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Reminded how much better Jack Nicholson's Joker was than Jared Leto's. *shudder*

Post 13 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
Michael Keaton is great…huge fan since Mr. Mom. He had his time though.

Christian Bale…not bad.

Ben Affleck…I plead the fifth.

Robert Pattinson…I won't even bother watching that one.

Clooney and Kilmer…window dressing.

What about The Rock??? Or Chris Pratt??

Post 14 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
After the movie came out they brought the car on tour..somewhere I have my awkward photo with it....would have been like 15??

CNE Automotive building (Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto)

LOVED the first 2 movies with Keaton!!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics

Exactly! Those were great. The next two were jaw-droppingly bad. No wonder Batman disappeared until the Christian Bale years.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector WndrWmn74 private msg quote post Address this user
I, too, was amazed at how great Keaton was as Batman. Hope he gets his time to shine again.

Haven’t heard why Batgirl can’t play on any given format though…
Post 17 IP   flag post
Don't forget, in Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Bruce Wayne, who at 55 years old returns from retirement to fight crime. Because of Keatons age and previous attachment to Batman is why I think he would be great for The Dark Knight Returns.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics

Exactly! Those were great. The next two were jaw-droppingly bad. No wonder Batman disappeared until the Christian Bale years.
I believe Kilmer would have been fantastic, but unfortunately his roll was written a support for Riddler and TwoFace being the main attraction. Poor design led Kilmer unable to hear I’m the Bat mask and was literally led by hand and given visual ques for his lines resulting in a performance without a much needed chemistry between actors.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@HulkSmash
I wasn't impressesd when Val Kilmer was cast as Batman, but I wasn't impressed by Michael Keaton at first, either so I was interested in seeing what he did with it. Such a shame that he never got a chance. Neither did Clooney, for that matter. B&R was feckin' awful but I can't recall any movie where it was so blatantly obvious the source of all the rubbish was the director.
Post 20 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by WndrWmn74

Because it would be tax fraud.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector WndrWmn74 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
Quote:

Because it would be tax fraud.

Really? Why is that??
Post 22 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Really? Why is that??

They're writing it off for tax credits. If they release it, they're profiting from it, therefor committing tax fraud.

I'm not sure if there's a statute of limitations, but my understanding is that they can never release this movie because of that.
Post 23 IP   flag post
604116 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?