Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
Quote:
I don’t get all the uproar over this. If ya don’t like it then don’t buy it.

its a modified comic ( stapled extra cover by a shop owner ) getting 9.9 and 10.0 blue labels from CGC

What happened is bordering on fraud. The shop owner cobbles together a fake variant with no permission from original creators/publisher, and then enlists CGC to give it an air of legitimacy so they can fleece fans. Just because some people are suckers doesn't make it okay to screw them over.

Again, what’s the uproar about? Your post or Wraith’s are rehashes of the situation or opinions on the situation. People are aware of the situation, and can vote with their wallets. The market will decide if the book in question is sought after or not.

what you are saying is arguably fair argument for this week / short term while its a hot topic and everyone is in the know.

but what happens to the new entrant to market in 15 years who sees a 9.9 CGC slab with no remarks . The natural assumption ( if CGC credibility hasnt crashed and burned ) is is a legit issue from publisher and not a hack and slash done by a retailer trying to make a buck back in the 2020's
Post 176 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
what happens to the new entrant to market in 15 years who sees a 9.9 CGC slab with no remarks
Hopefully that person does his homework. If not, it will be a learning curve...
Post 177 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
but what happens to the new entrant to market in 15 years who sees a 9.9 CGC slab with no remarks . The natural assumption ( if CGC credibility hasnt crashed and burned ) is is a legit issue from publisher and not a hack and slash done by a retailer trying to make a buck back in the 2020's

I was thinking of a similar thing. CGC wrong labeling takes what is essentially an underground hybrid comic book and makes it a Marvel Variant for posterity. This is why it's different from a sketch variant. A sketch variant doesn't become a new and different item by nature of putting a sketch on it. I honestly say CGC, and CGC alone, is the party in the wrong here. They are wrongly certifying the book. Basically rewriting history by doing so.
Post 178 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
Quote:
what happens to the new entrant to market in 15 years who sees a 9.9 CGC slab with no remarks
Hopefully that person does his homework. If not, it will be a learning curve...
which is entirely against the point of a certified comic.
Post 179 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:
Quote:
I don’t get all the uproar over this. If ya don’t like it then don’t buy it.

its a modified comic ( stapled extra cover by a shop owner ) getting 9.9 and 10.0 blue labels from CGC

What happened is bordering on fraud. The shop owner cobbles together a fake variant with no permission from original creators/publisher, and then enlists CGC to give it an air of legitimacy so they can fleece fans. Just because some people are suckers doesn't make it okay to screw them over.

Again, what’s the uproar about? Your post or Wraith’s are rehashes of the situation or opinions on the situation. People are aware of the situation, and can vote with their wallets. The market will decide if the book in question is sought after or not.

what you are saying is arguably fair argument for this week / short term while its a hot topic and everyone is in the know.

both valid points. I lean toward @Wraith s for the same concerns. I see future buyers getting burned like current buyers getting burned with unverifiable signatures of people who have passed away, undisclosed or forgotten restoration, even pedigrees that lost their trustworthiness (for lack of a better term). All the things 3rd party grading is supposed to alleviate for both the seller and buyer. When 3rd parties go rogue and sellers are less than honest buyers never win. Even if you can return a book it returns to circulation and the cycle continues until it land in the hands of the naïve.
Post 180 IP   flag post

Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone know who actually stapled the acetate covers on to the comic? Was it a Kinko store?

From what I've heard, the next two "acetate exclusives" each have a 10 and at least one 9.9 CGC graded copies. That's out of ten copies of each issue graded. If I had that kind of luck, I'd go to Vegas. Maybe hangout with Nearmint67 for an afternoon of football. LOL
Post 181 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
From what I've heard, the next two "acetate exclusives" each have a 10 and at least one 9.9 CGC graded copies. That's out of ten copies of each issue graded. If I had that kind of luck, I'd go to Vegas. Maybe hangout with Nearmint67 for an afternoon of football. LOL

Did the "publisher" have the copies graded? If so, it's more likely that a large group of them were sent for pre-screen.
Post 182 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:

Did the "publisher" have the copies graded? If so, it's more likely that a large group of them were sent for pre-screen.

I believe so. It just seems weird that all three issues were able to get 10's. One of the three, yeah. Two of the three, you got good karma. Three for three? Vegas time, baby!!!!
Post 183 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

and yet not a single 10 or 9.9 of that actual variant when it was released last year. i presume CGC only graded the acetate cover, which in itself if a complete joke. ( letalone giving it a variant name )

the additional funny thing. CGC labelled it "In God we Trust" variant [its NOT a variant] and on top of that the writing on the book is "in God we Intrust"

Total frankenstein scenario, top to bottom
Post 184 IP   flag post
this smells as bad as it can get

edit.. adding screenshot as text to make legible:

On 8/10/2022 at 11:22 AM, Troy Division said:
Just to clarify ALL these acetate books were graded on 7/28/22

Ghost Rider #1 'Zymotica Vs' Acetate Edition
Infinite Black Publishing Exclusive
4100794001 / 9.8
4100794002 / 9.8
4100794003 / 10
4100794004 / 9.9
4100794005 / 9.9
4100794006 / 9.9
4100794007 / 9.8
4100794008 / 9.8
4100794009 / 9.8
4100794010 / 9.8

Deadpool Nerdy 30 #1 '99 Problems' Acetate Edition
4100794011 / 9.8
4100794012 / 9.8
4100794013 / 9.8
4100794014 / 9.9
4100794015 / 9.8
4100794016 / 9.8
4100794017 / 9.9
4100794018 / 10
4100794019 / 9.9
4100794020 / 9.8

Ultimate Fallout: Facsimile Edition #4: 'In God We Trust' Acetate Edition
4100794021 / 9.9
4100794022 / 9.9
4100794023 / 9.9
4100794024 / 9.9
4100794025 / 9.8
4100794026 / 10
4100794027 / 9.8
4100794028 / 9.8
4100794029 / 9.9
4100794030 / 9.8
Post 185 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like buy a grade.

Integrity can't be bought it is hard earned and very easily lost.
Post 186 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
I feel the need to state our position on the topic.

If a book has an acetate cover attached to it with staples, the grade it would receive from CBCS is based on the grade of the book if the acetate cover were removed. In the scenario discussed in this thread, the book would probably top out around a 7.0 because of the additional holes in the book created by the staples. The attached acetate cover and additional staples would be noted at the bottom of the label.

This is, of course, if the book in question is a "manufactured variant" by a third party and not an actual solicited variant that was produced by the publisher.

so reason this one got 9.9 is because produced by publisher (although acetone cover is not stated)?

Post 187 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@poka I believe the difference is that the Stray Dogs 1 is a variant with an acetate cover that's been manufactured by the publisher and sent as an incentive to comic shops.

On the other hand, an independent comic shop deciding to manufacture their own covers and staple them to the originally manufactured book, which was not only done without the publishers approval, but also involved damaging the books.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Stray Dogs 1 have no extra staples or glue added to attach the acetate cover?

Edit: I'm confusing myself, sorry for all the blabbering..
Post 188 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders believe stray dogs have extra staples but probably diff cause publisher variant
Post 189 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@poka confusing...looks like I'll just stay away from all this nonsense.
Post 190 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
@flanders believe stray dogs have extra staples but probably diff cause publisher variant

Post 191 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
The acetate bubble...

Post 192 IP   flag post
This is probably a good time for me to send in those golden age reproduction books that I bought a couple months ago.
Post 193 IP   flag post
Quote:
This is probably a good time for me to send in those golden age reproduction books that I bought a couple months ago.
there's been so many classic facsimile editions recently

time to cash them in ... im thinking ill print all homage versions of ASM 300 onto acetate and get a facsimile acetate compendium ... thats going to sell for serious $$$ ..

just need to know what it takes to get a 10.0 and a few 9.9's from CGC, check those boxes, and turn on that money printer.
Post 194 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
this smells as bad as it can get

I don't see what's so unusual about a 30 book submission getting (3) 10's and (11) 9.9's. Especially old books that never got either of those grades, pre-Etsy project add-on.

Even less unusual when you factor in the probability those specific grades were paid for. Like with the invisible book fiasco.
Post 195 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
I don't see what's so unusual about a 30 book submission getting (3) 10's and (11) 9.9's. Especially old books that never got either of those grades, pre-Etsy project add-on.

Even less unusual when you factor in the probability those specific grades were paid for. Like with the invisible book fiasco.

totally. i thought id check the census myself just to be sure.

Deadpool Nerdy 30 out of total of 10 graded comics 40% are 9.9 and 10

To think those gem scores are created from a stack of comics that has been gathering dust since early last year until someone had the good sense to staple some protective acetate straight into the spine.

Moreover out of the 1,025 total graded comics for all variants of the issue only those 4 comics (from that pool of 10 ) get 9.9 and 10.

How I wish I had that luck. ( Or friends who can manfacture that type of luck ) .

Post 196 IP   flag post
Im still gobsmacked at how brazen this is.

( enough to pull me back onto comic book boards this week )

Company feels its too big to fall ?
Post 197 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I almost bought some of those. They are a cool inexpensive way to have them in your collection.
But I asked my pal @sborock if I could get them graded, he said no. But hey, send them to CGC where anything goes lol....
Post 198 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
heres a nice comparison someone did of other acetate covers and their high grades:

The more layers this onion shows, the worse it gets.
There is no way to give them the benefit of the doubt with those kinds of numbers and comparisons.
if CBCS was smart they would take a loss for a bit and do a huge discount for 30 days on CGC regrades.
Post 199 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Now some "expert" will come along and state "yea but those acetate covers were made differently and of less quality than the black flag acetate covers". Each one was individually inspected before being applied to the book - thus the difference in grades.

Everyone has a "yea but......".
Post 200 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotKeyComics
heres a nice comparison someone did of other acetate covers and their high grades:

The more layers this onion shows, the worse it gets.
There is no way to give them the benefit of the doubt with those kinds of numbers and comparisons.
if CBCS was smart they would take a loss for a bit and do a huge discount for 30 days on CGC regrades.
but will people risk a downgrade to their cgc grades with a real cbcs grade? .. Haha

If smart would be selling cgc slabs like nobodys business while people still willing to pay premium for them..

This whole thing is comparable to the downfall of those who shall not be named
Post 201 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Rome?
Post 202 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Quote:

Rome?

Post 203 IP   flag post
Collector classicaaron private msg quote post Address this user
i guess im just shocked that anyone finds this news surprising from CGC. people have been buying grades for years. big dealers have always gotten better grades than individual submitters. you pay for their pressing service, you get a better grade. you spend more on fast tracking, you typically get a better grade. in house signature signings and you get a better grade. it goes on and on.

cant say im surprised acetate covers are getting 10's because unless there's a scratch across the cover how could they not grade a 10. they are obviously only grading that cover and there's no chance of bending.

its been said for years buy the book not the grade. its always been true as there are so many inaccurate grades out there. its why i would never pay and have never paid more for a graded book than if i was to buy it raw. people who pay just to have a 9.8 label when its not must love to waste money. id rather just grow my collection with that cash. with all of CGC's QC issues plus many examples of inaccurate grading not sure why people put a premium on them. this fiasco just adds fuel to the fire.
Post 204 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I also love how all this is for a reprint/facimile

Just spend the $$ on a raw 2nd print or what ever a couple hundred will get you of the 1st print - it will hold it's value more than whatever printing this thing is
Post 205 IP   flag post
601505 617 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?