Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CGC puts blue label on "new" modified excl18147

Collector dennisqdw private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics Totally agree. The only reason I care is because other people do, and I just want to get rid of my comics. Why anyone cares in the first place remains beyond me.
Post 126 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
nooo... I think you have it right there....everyone always knew there were 9.8's that weren't and 9.6's that were 9.8's - always some wiggle room - the grade is just a ball park on where it probably was when it was put in the fancy sealed top loader - if the market wants to pay 2 or 3x for a 9.8 vs 9.6 or 9.4 then so be it (even if that fancy top loader has creep engine and destroys the book within!!)

Their own customers 100% endorse this since the big reason many give for not using CBCS is the label design - not the grades - not the quality of the slab....the label/brand
It will take something massive to change this mindset - I don't see it happening

How often do hasty generalizations end up being true? In this case, as a CGC customer myself, this is false.
Post 127 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
I think that, at the heart of the issue, is CGC not doing their due diligence when they decided to slab those highly questionable books without bothering to see if there was any legitimacy to the claims of being a proper, authorised variant. I suspect their customers who got suckered are not pleased.
Post 128 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
Quote:
nooo... I think you have it right there....everyone always knew there were 9.8's that weren't and 9.6's that were 9.8's - always some wiggle room - the grade is just a ball park on where it probably was when it was put in the fancy sealed top loader - if the market wants to pay 2 or 3x for a 9.8 vs 9.6 or 9.4 then so be it (even if that fancy top loader has creep engine and destroys the book within!!)

Their own customers 100% endorse this since the big reason many give for not using CBCS is the label design - not the grades - not the quality of the slab....the label/brand
It will take something massive to change this mindset - I don't see it happening

How often do hasty generalizations end up being true? In this case, as a CGC customer myself, this is false.

oh hey! I'm a CGC (also CBCS) user too (putting another order together now for CGC) but while a generalization doesn't fit all it probably covers a decent amount - if CGC customers didn't endorse the actions of the company they were using they would use another provider - it may not be outright approval but it is tacit approval to be sure....
Post 129 IP   flag post
Quote:
oh hey! I'm a CGC (also CBCS) user too (putting another order together now for CGC) but while a generalization doesn't fit all it probably covers a decent amount - if CGC customers didn't endorse the actions of the company they were using they would use another provider - it may not be outright approval but it is tacit approval to be sure....

I would suggest reading the CGC forums. It's safe to say that the vast majority of CGC customers who are vocal on this issue do not endorse this... Scam...? In fact, we're waiting on a statement from CGC today, to see if they have any interest in clearing this mess up.
Post 130 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Did any of the Baby Teeth “skin” covers ever get graded? I think these were also modified after the fact but they were pretty clear in the announcement that these were an existing variant that they added on to, though I guess it was also approved by Aftershock.

Personally, I’m fine with the idea of modified comics as long as it’s made clear what they are. It doesn’t seem like that was the case with this Black Flag variant.

I certainly think it should be acknowledged on the label. For CGC either hit the grade for the modification or give it a green label. CBCS, not having a green label, I’d expect a grade hit and description of the modification on the label.

The whole pandering to influencers and such while “regular collectors” are left to pick up the crumbs is super shady
Post 131 IP   flag post
Quote:
In fact, we're waiting on a statement from CGC today, to see if they have any interest in clearing this mess up.

I would be interested to hear what they have to say. Even if they should have done their own research to start with, I can't imagine they're pleased with having been used that way.
Post 132 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I would suggest reading the CGC forums. It's safe to say that the vast majority of CGC customers who are vocal on this issue do not endorse this... Scam...? In fact, we're waiting on a statement from CGC today, to see if they have any interest in clearing this mess up.

that's where the tacit approval comes in

If you really, really don't approve - take your business elsewhere
By not doing that and continuing to use CGC they are telling them with their wallets that they are ok with what is happening - $$ is the only thing business understands, all else is just noise

For instance...I no longer buy ocean fish because of the fishing practices. I do eat fish caught in Lake Erie etc. (perch, salmon, trout, walleye etc.)that don't result in nets floating loose etc. If I came out and said those ocean fisheries are the worst but kept buying their products I'm really saying it's ok for them to keep doing what they are doing.
Post 133 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Where that invisible comic I saw the other day.....ah yes...*raises it in his hand* here it is!!

...CGC...LOOK OUT!... a Gem 10 is coming your way!!

😀
Post 134 IP   flag post
Quote:

By not doing that and continuing to use CGC they are telling them with their wallets that they are ok with what is happening - $$ is the only thing business understands, all else is just noise

For instance...I no longer buy ocean fish because of the fishing practices. I do eat fish caught in Lake Erie etc. (perch, salmon, trout, walleye etc.)that don't result in nets floating loose etc. If I came out and said those ocean fisheries are the worst but kept buying their products I'm really saying it's ok for them to keep doing what they are doing.

It cannot be tacit approval if we are explicitly, vocally condemning the action. We're not just 'going along with it'. We've criticized CGC and are awaiting a response. This just happened.
Post 135 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Post 136 IP   flag post
Let's just say that the response from CGC is inadequate, LOL.
Post 137 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Yeah. I guess this just happened.

Post 138 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Cgc response

And mine

Post 139 IP   flag post
Quote:

lol indeed - on this we can at least agree - response was inadequate
Post 140 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:

Yeah. I guess this just happened.

precedent? I guess the only way out is to back peddle and make up the rules and finagle the definition of manufacturing as you go along?
Post 141 IP   flag post
So, I can staple an acetate cover to any book I want and because my act of stapling constitutes a 'manufacturing process,' I'm in the clear? WTF?

Do I smell the distinctive odour of BS...?
Post 142 IP   flag post
Quote:

And that's putting it lightly. To be honest, it's down-right stupid. The comic is a reprint, it's not an official variant, and it's had material added to it on the aftermarket. In no way, shape, or form is it a blue-label comic.
Post 143 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

And that's putting it lightly. To be honest, it's down-right stupid. The comic is a reprint, it's not an official variant, and it's had material added to it on the aftermarket. In no way, shape, or form is it a blue-label comic.

I'm stunned how what you just said was NOT their response. Disappointing doesn't even begin to describe it.
Post 144 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

It cannot be tacit approval if we are explicitly, vocally condemning the action. We're not just 'going along with it'. We've criticized CGC and are awaiting a response. This just happened.

to be fair I'm adding things in my head like - invisible comics, creep engine, newton rings, lax grading etc. etc. - this new issue is just the latest to add to the list - and as much as people complain about all those issues, this new issue and what will surely be a future issue but continue to use their services they are giving the only approval any company wants - $$$

Again though - I just sent 5 books to CGC and am putting together another group to send as we speak?/type?? these will not be for my PC but purely for resale because a) I believe they will get higher sale prices and b) it will be cheaper to get them graded

There may be some going to CBCS that need VSP in the future or maybe PC only books...still on the fence what gets sent where due to pricing/shipping changes
Post 145 IP   flag post
Quote:
to be fair I'm adding things in my head like - invisible comics, creep engine, newton rings, lax grading etc. etc. - this new issue is just the latest to add to the list - and as much as people complain about all those issues, this new issue and what will surely be a future issue but continue to use their services they are giving the only approval any company wants - $$$

Again though - I just sent 5 books to CGC and am putting together another group to send as we speak?/type?? these will not be for my PC but purely for resale because a) I believe they will get higher sale prices and b) it will be cheaper to get them graded

There may be some going to CBCS that need VSP in the future or maybe PC only books...still on the fence what gets sent where due to pricing/shipping changes

Well, to be fair to myself, I wasn't around for some of those issues and CGC owned-up to the Bad Idea invisible comic BS.

Apparently, they didn't learn from their mistake, and I can already tell that some people (including myself) won't be supporting CGC anymore if they're denying the objective truth, that putting this modified reprint under a Universal label is wrong.
Post 146 IP   flag post
Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone on here actually have one of these beauties? If so can you post a pic.

EDIT - Nevermind I checked it out on Ebay
Post 147 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user

Post 148 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I believe the Stray Dogs issue the cgc is referring to was actually manufactured that way.
Post 149 IP   flag post
@DrWatson It sounds like CGC is playing ignorance by suggesting their decision is correct because acetate variants have existed in the past and ignoring the fact that this was modified by a third party after production
Post 150 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
I feel the need to state our position on the topic.

If a book has an acetate cover attached to it with staples, the grade it would receive from CBCS is based on the grade of the book if the acetate cover were removed. In the scenario discussed in this thread, the book would probably top out around a 7.0 because of the additional holes in the book created by the staples. The attached acetate cover and additional staples would be noted at the bottom of the label.

This is, of course, if the book in question is a "manufactured variant" by a third party and not an actual solicited variant that was produced by the publisher.
Post 151 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
And I'll add that the comic would be identified as the base comic. We would not give a variant name to a book that was not an intended variant produced by the publisher.
Post 152 IP   flag post
@SteveRicketts Makes sense to me
Post 153 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@SteveRicketts Exactly, that's what a true impartial third party grading company would do!
Post 154 IP   flag post
@SteveRicketts
Thank you. I appreciate knowing that. I feel that's exactly as it should be.
Post 155 IP   flag post
600736 617 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?