Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CGC puts blue label on "new" modified excl18147

I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
https://www.instagram.com/reel/ChAkZ6AFFdy/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Lol watch this.
Post 101 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head

Lol watch this.

Hilarious!
Post 102 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head

Lol watch this.

I’d pay more for an NFT of this than I would for a copy of that UF4 facsimile facsimile.
Post 103 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm actually going to FanExpo Boston this weekend.
Should be fun.
And I will be keeping that eye in the back of my head focused on this junk as I do my thing.
Post 104 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
UF4 facsimile facsimile.

Is it possible that a facsimile facsimile = authentic based on the double negative?
Post 105 IP   flag post

You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I'm actually going to FanExpo Boston this weekend.
Should be fun.
And I will be keeping that eye in the back of my head focused on this junk as I do my thing.

have fun and I look forward to line jumping videos lol
Post 106 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
its interesting that everyone is black flag cgc black flag cgc but not much is being said about Clayton Crain, and he cancelled his planned C2E2 appearance. Its his cover to begin with that was used. What's his role and responsibility in all this?
Post 107 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
I don’t get all the uproar over this. If ya don’t like it then don’t buy it.
Post 108 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Fools and their money lining up for a facsimile print with a home-made modification. Is what it is. Genius move by the seller. Take a pile of books he cant sell, staple on a new plastic cover and sell for multiples more than he would have got if he could actually move the original.

But CGC legitimising it with a blue label and 10.0 ... thats a whole new level of stupid.

Should they walk this back, they are probably going to have a few slab owners asking for their purchase price to be refunded by CGC. Rightly so I might add.
Post 109 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics

even no multiple graders won't hurt things...about the only thing would be if it was discovered that certain submitters got better grades because of business or personal relationships

If that came to be then CGC slabs are on fast track to being worthless. No grade could be trusted. They would just be an expensive clam shell with a custom label. So here's hoping that it never happens.
Post 110 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@Zombie_Head
LOL! Dude, that was so spot-on!
Post 111 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater

its a modified comic ( stapled extra cover by a shop owner ) getting 9.9 and 10.0 blue labels from CGC
Post 112 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater

its a modified comic ( stapled extra cover by a shop owner ) getting 9.9 and 10.0 blue labels from CGC

What happened is bordering on fraud. The shop owner cobbles together a fake variant with no permission from original creators/publisher, and then enlists CGC to give it an air of legitimacy so they can fleece fans. Just because some people are suckers doesn't make it okay to screw them over.
Post 113 IP   flag post
the shop owner modding a $3.99 book with a custom plastic cover and finding legitimate paying customers to offload 750 at $85 / $100 a piece is what it is. Fools and their money

CGC playing along and ignoring not only their own rules but established collector playbook as a whole is next level messed up.

If they have graders on site who dont even question extra staples then what else do they overlook ?
Post 114 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Is this all just a CGC flex?

They are just showing that they can and will do whatever they want and no one can or will do anything about it?

They are still the dominant player in the grading market and their books get a premium

Really...what's the alternative...CBCS?? lol...but they don't have a white background behind their grade (ps...even if CBCS did this the CGC crew would just find another reason), PGX??? that guy who worked at a comic store once?

It is what it is.....as far as CGC not holding to the 'rules'..they just proved there are no rules and if there ever were they are the ones who make them now

It's a free for all - grade air, grade modified as non restored, grade and give free no notes - I'm eager to see where they go next!!
(they are probably eyeing that guy who grades individual pages)

it's like the iphone....android do all the same cheaper and often better...but it's not iphone so therefore it's crap
Post 115 IP   flag post
Quote:
If they have graders on site who dont even question extra staples then what else do they overlook ?

And that is the key question.
Post 116 IP   flag post
Quote:

They are just showing that they can and will do whatever they want and no one can or will do anything about it?

They are still the dominant player in the grading market and their books get a premium

Really...what's the alternative...CBCS?? lol...but they don't have a white background behind their grade (ps...even if CBCS did this the CGC crew would just find another reason), PGX??? that guy who worked at a comic store once?

It is what it is.....as far as CGC not holding to the 'rules'..they just proved there are no rules and if there ever were they are the ones who make them now

It's a free for all - grade air, grade modified as non restored, grade and give free no notes - I'm eager to see where they go next!!

it's like the iphone....android do all the same cheaper and often better...but it's not iphone so therefore it's crap
but if thats where they go, then the implied value of any and all CGC slabs is worthless and only value they have over a comic in a top loader is brand association to the label. ( the quality/legitimacy of the comic inside the slab would be just as much a crap shoot as any raw )

i can be cynical, but not that cynical to think they would be stupid enough to let their whole business implode by dropping all the standards that got them to where they are (were? ) .
Post 117 IP   flag post
With the myriad of issues that have been cited by many, perhaps no single issue alone is a "big deal".
I would say it is the volume of questionable issues, in total, that has caused the raucous.

It's one of those things where any 1 issue can be debated and is probably worthy of the debate and can be looked at differently. But all told, all the issues, makes this a classic sh*t show.
Post 118 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
My man just told me that the label should state "the outer cover has been married and attached with 2 extra staples". It's not restored, just stupid!!!!!!
Post 119 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
My man just told me that the label should state "the outer cover has been married and attached with 2 extra staples". It's not restored, just stupid!!!!!!

I believe marriages that involve stapling the (un)happy couple together should end in divorce.
Post 120 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67

It's a qualified label at best. Of course, no one wants to try and sell a Green Label of Death.
Post 121 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

but if thats where they go, then the implied value of any and all CGC slabs is worthless and only value they have over a comic in a top loader is brand association to the label. ( the quality/legitimacy of the comic inside the slab would be just as much a crap shoot as any raw )

i can be cynical, but not that cynical to think they would be stupid enough to let their whole business implode by dropping all the standards that got them to where they are (were? ) .

nooo... I think you have it right there....everyone always knew there were 9.8's that weren't and 9.6's that were 9.8's - always some wiggle room - the grade is just a ball park on where it probably was when it was put in the fancy sealed top loader - if the market wants to pay 2 or 3x for a 9.8 vs 9.6 or 9.4 then so be it (even if that fancy top loader has creep engine and destroys the book within!!)

Their own customers 100% endorse this since the big reason many give for not using CBCS is the label design - not the grades - not the quality of the slab....the label/brand
It will take something massive to change this mindset - I don't see it happening

now added or not added staples etc. etc....that only applies if you think they grade to Overstreet standards - we know they don't...all grading houses have their own rules

We are kidding ourselves if we think grading isn't just fancy top loaders with approximate grades - we choose what we like because of aesthetics (clear slab or fancy character labels) or potential re-sale value (i.e. CGC gets a premium), even VSP is a muggs game - you watched the guy sign the book but it fails cause he was tired or old or drunk - anything worth anything has fakes so 100% someone will fake signatures that fool the best of verification (been happening for 100's of years)

My own estimates are never that far off what I get and I could just as easily protect in mylar etc. I slab for my PC so they can more easily be sold when I die...I slab for resale now for similar reasons - and in hopes of getting the 9.8 multiplication factor!
Post 122 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Funny all this. Mostly I don’t care because majority of mess ups, malarkey and mania is in segments I care little for.

I see few issues with their reputation in old, boring, established high-value issues. Plenty of people still shell out millions in reliance, and I’m not talking the nouveau-nouveau-crypto riche. When I see significant issues there or reputation erosion in those corners, then I’ll pay attention.

This idea of any facsimile book, or frankly any book published in the past 30 years, getting this hype attention, hoarding, spec and flipping… lol at it all.
Post 123 IP   flag post
Collector SGT_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
It's a qualified label at best. Of course, no one wants to try and sell a Green Label of Death.

Unfortunately, if they would use the green label more often for things like this, they could shift the stigma. They've let people think the green label is only for "coupon cut out" and unwitnessed signatures, so people assume it's always hiding a mummy's curse-level flaw.
Post 124 IP   flag post
if I just put 2 extra staples on the original reprint and send it in, will they call it coverless? 🤣
Post 125 IP   flag post
Collector dennisqdw private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics Totally agree. The only reason I care is because other people do, and I just want to get rid of my comics. Why anyone cares in the first place remains beyond me.
Post 126 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
nooo... I think you have it right there....everyone always knew there were 9.8's that weren't and 9.6's that were 9.8's - always some wiggle room - the grade is just a ball park on where it probably was when it was put in the fancy sealed top loader - if the market wants to pay 2 or 3x for a 9.8 vs 9.6 or 9.4 then so be it (even if that fancy top loader has creep engine and destroys the book within!!)

Their own customers 100% endorse this since the big reason many give for not using CBCS is the label design - not the grades - not the quality of the slab....the label/brand
It will take something massive to change this mindset - I don't see it happening

How often do hasty generalizations end up being true? In this case, as a CGC customer myself, this is false.
Post 127 IP   flag post
I think that, at the heart of the issue, is CGC not doing their due diligence when they decided to slab those highly questionable books without bothering to see if there was any legitimacy to the claims of being a proper, authorised variant. I suspect their customers who got suckered are not pleased.
Post 128 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
Quote:

How often do hasty generalizations end up being true? In this case, as a CGC customer myself, this is false.

oh hey! I'm a CGC (also CBCS) user too (putting another order together now for CGC) but while a generalization doesn't fit all it probably covers a decent amount - if CGC customers didn't endorse the actions of the company they were using they would use another provider - it may not be outright approval but it is tacit approval to be sure....
Post 129 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
oh hey! I'm a CGC (also CBCS) user too (putting another order together now for CGC) but while a generalization doesn't fit all it probably covers a decent amount - if CGC customers didn't endorse the actions of the company they were using they would use another provider - it may not be outright approval but it is tacit approval to be sure....

I would suggest reading the CGC forums. It's safe to say that the vast majority of CGC customers who are vocal on this issue do not endorse this... Scam...? In fact, we're waiting on a statement from CGC today, to see if they have any interest in clearing this mess up.
Post 130 IP   flag post
597862 617 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?