Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CGC puts blue label on "new" modified excl18147

I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head

"... was without the benefit or foresight that it would be the hot book of the convention".

Mmmmmmm hmmmmmmm..... and I'm Santa Claus.
Oh wait Nerdy Girl - why were you within the first few in line again?
Exactly - actions speak louder the words - another liar.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Here's the other B.S. Line:

"I followed the same rules as everyone else".

Hmmm - does that include being within the first few people on that line because you had a dealer badge and was able to get on the line before the doors open? Same rule huh?

She should be a politician. What's she doing in comics?
Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
@HotKeyComics In your original post you wrote “this should kill their credibility” What do you think the fallout will be? (no pun intended)
Actually I welcome anyones opinion on what becomes of this.
Post 78 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmonster
@HotKeyComics In your original post you wrote “this should kill their credibility” What do you think the fallout will be? (no pun intended)
Actually I welcome anyones opinion on what becomes of this.

I respect Hotkey, but I do disagree on this. I don't think anything will hurt their credibility in any major way. They've done so many things that are screwed up.

We keep mentioning the "invisible" comics that were just acetate and 2 staples, and they gladly put their name and grade on them. And while there are many of us who see these things and use it when making our choices for grading... there are just way too many people who think they can do no wrong, along with others who just accept it because they feel the CGC label is worth more than the CBCS label.

Pretty sure CGC knows they are in no danger of losing much business no matter what stupid gimmicks they involve their name in.

Sad, but true.

Just my opinion.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@Sigur_Ros
I wish I could argue with your opinion, but I think you're right. Maybe the 'invisible' comics were just a joke that went too far, but this is on another level. Even so, my guess is the CGC sycophants will brush this off, too.
Post 80 IP   flag post

Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
@Sigur_Ros @Byrdibyrd I feel the same think this will end up a non issue. Still hope to hear Hotkey’s opinion.
Post 81 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
I said it "should" hurt their credibility, but I expect it to have the same impact as the invisible comics, and the 2+ years of horrible quality control, and all the other issues they keep having.
maybe a little short term impact, zero long term impact.
it should hurt it, but it won't.
at this point the only thing that is going to seriously damage them is probably an employee whistleblowing that they aren't having multiple graders verify each book with evidence.
Post 82 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotKeyComics
only thing that is going to seriously damage them is probably an employee whistleblowing that they aren't having multiple graders verify each book with evidence

As if all the F'ed up books they keep sending out were not proof enough...
Post 83 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotKeyComics
only thing that is going to seriously damage them is probably an employee whistleblowing that they aren't having multiple graders verify each book with evidence

As if all the F'ed up books they keep sending out were not proof enough...

even no multiple graders won't hurt things...about the only thing would be if it was discovered that certain submitters got better grades because of business or personal relationships - even then though I think a certain portion of submitters would just want to know who they need to pay the extra $$ to so they could also get the bump from 9.6 to 9.8
Post 84 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
about the only thing would be if it was discovered that certain submitters got better grades because of business or personal relationships

This already happens, mon ami.
Post 85 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
I think this will seriously affect their credibility with older/seasoned collectors. They've done some stupid things which they didn't need to do. How is grading a sheet of plastic worth damaging your image? I think the response from cgc will turn a lot of old timers off, but realistically this hobby had a ton of younger collectors that probably don't mind the stuff there doing.

Looks like cgc modern variants are going to be no better than pgx copies.
Post 86 IP   flag post
Collector Sebastsk8 private msg quote post Address this user
A lot of people are pissed, even on the cgc boards about the book getting a blue label. And also about the whole black flag bs behind it and "influencers" getting a ton of the exclusives.

Oh, you didn't know the book would be that big? That's why you bought 15 of them? Interesting.
Post 87 IP   flag post
soooo..... can anyone do this??

I mean...the tech to print on acetate and staple to a book isn't ground breaking.

Me or my lcs could just just do this for any old book - maybe make a web page or facebook thing so it's 'legit' limited special cover for XX store....
Post 88 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastsk8
Oh, you didn't know the book would be that big? That's why you bought 15 of them?

Exactly this.
At least own up and be honest.

As much as I do not like social media and the "there's the witch" mentality; it is these instances where I like social media. Do I know the whole truth and nothing but the truth? No I do not. But I've heard enough to know when pond scum is forming and to take names to never deal with.
Post 89 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I mean...the tech to print on acetate and staple to a book isn't ground breaking.

Me or my lcs could just just do this for any old book - maybe make a web page or facebook thing so it's 'legit' limited special cover for XX store....

I'm just guessing here but I bet the CBCS ones shown in this thread were actually approved by the original publishers.
Post 90 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Do I know the whole truth and nothing but the truth? No I do not. But I've heard enough to know when pond scum is forming and to take names to never deal with.

TRUTH.
Post 91 IP   flag post
Quote:

Think bigger. We need a CBCS forum variant. Come up with a cover design and then staple that cover on worthless books from our collections. Sell those books off at a huge profit!!

Oh, wait, we'd be douchebags if we did that...? Bummer. There goes that get-rich-quick scheme.
Post 92 IP   flag post
Collector Sebastsk8 private msg quote post Address this user
@Byrdibyrd acetate variant of Turok #1. Make it happen.
Post 93 IP   flag post
Quote:

That's workin'!!
Post 94 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:

Think bigger. We need a CBCS forum variant. Come up with a cover design and then staple that cover on worthless books from our collections. Sell those books off at a huge profit!!

Oh, wait, we'd be douchebags if we did that...? Bummer. There goes that get-rich-quick scheme.

douchebags lol!!???... but we would be something worse than douchebags if we didn't!! Yesterdays douchebags are tomorrows leaders of industry and commerce!!
Post 95 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

followed up by a double acetate Darkhawk #1 exclusive. Very very limited. order as many as you want!
Post 96 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user

Post 97 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user

Post 98 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros

So with the backlash CGC has received, I wonder if that graded copy of Ghost Rider they have will be offered for sale.
Post 99 IP   flag post
This variant cover thing is like people standing in line to touch the hand of God. If sheep get shorn because of it, so be it. I'm glad I live in an alternate universe where variant covers don't exist.
Post 100 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
https://www.instagram.com/reel/ChAkZ6AFFdy/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Lol watch this.
Post 101 IP   flag post
Quote:

Lol watch this.

Hilarious!
Post 102 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Lol watch this.

I’d pay more for an NFT of this than I would for a copy of that UF4 facsimile facsimile.
Post 103 IP   flag post
I'm actually going to FanExpo Boston this weekend.
Should be fun.
And I will be keeping that eye in the back of my head focused on this junk as I do my thing.
Post 104 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
UF4 facsimile facsimile.

Is it possible that a facsimile facsimile = authentic based on the double negative?
Post 105 IP   flag post
601485 617 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?