Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CGC puts blue label on "new" modified excl18147

Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Let's use a sporting goods analogy and see if this works.

I go to Maple Leaf Entertainment and buy 1000 Toronto Maple Leaf hockey jerseys.

I take those jerseys and sew in a hood creating a hoodie.

I then get a sporting goods authentication company to put these jersey hoodies in a frame under glass and call it a Toronto Maple Leaf "Outdoor" Jersey/Hoodie.

I think Maple Leaf Entertainment lawyers would be on the horn to me saying "What the hell are you doing?"

I've grown up and currently live in the Golden Horseshoe area yet I've never herd of a professional hockey team in Toronto..... are these "Maple Leafs" some sort of bear league team??
Post 526 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicNinja0215
start thinking about the integrity of the grading

And that's the issue right there. The grading is supposed to be about the integrity. Third party graders exist so that buyers can feel secure about what they're buying, and collectors know, without question, what's in their collections. Why do we even pay for their 'services' if their integrity is in question?
Post 527 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@Byrdibyrd @Jesse_O

Annie LEE v. A.R.T. COMPANY is an interesting case to look at. A company bought notecards and lithographs from an artist then mounted them on tiles, glazed them with resin and resold them. The case was rules in favor of the company.

Part of the rationale was that the company “bought the work legitimately, mounted it on a tile, and resold what it had purchased. Because the artist could capture the value of her art's contribution to the finished product as part of the price for the original transaction, the economic rationale for protecting an adaptation as "derivative" is absent…An alteration that includes (or consumes) a complete copy of the original lacks economic significance. One work changes hands multiple times, exactly what [the law] permits, so it may lack legal significance too”

Where I can a legal opening is later on in the opinion. The case was decided whether the alteration was sufficient to make it a derivative work. In this case the court did not find that mounting and glazing the art was sufficient to meet the standard for a derivative work, particularly the portion saying if the “work may be recast, transformed, or adapted.” In this case, the court did not find the mounting process to rise to the standard of a derivative work however similar cases (see MIRAGE EDITIONS v. ALBUQUERQUE A.R.T. CO) have ruled differently.

I can definitely see the argument of the copyrighted work being “recast” and thus becoming a derivative work where Marvel would have rights but I also can’t say it’s such a sure thing that they would surely prevail, though I’d imagine Marvel simply threatening legal action, regardless of it’s chances of prevailing, would be enough to get Black Flag to change its behavior

It has similarities, but I'm guessing that A.R.T. Company didn't get a 3rd party certification service to certify it as an Annie LEE limited edition.
Post 528 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
It has similarities, but I'm guessing that A.R.T. Company didn't get a 3rd party certification service to certify it as an Annie LEE limited edition.

Crux of the matter in a nutshell. Had A.R.T. Company done that, they would have lost their case.
Post 529 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Completely distinguishable. The case (claim) cited below is more like claiming a CGC graded slab constitutes a potential copyright violation (encasement and fee/cost for the encasement that now includes information in addition to the original work). Obviously it doesn’t (and thanks to the case you cite, precedent is established).

Quote:
@Byrdibyrd @Jesse_O

Annie LEE v. A.R.T. COMPANY is an interesting case to look at. A company bought notecards and lithographs from an artist then mounted them on tiles, glazed them with resin and resold them. The case was rules in favor of the company.

Part of the rationale was that the company “bought the work legitimately, mounted it on a tile, and resold what it had purchased. Because the artist could capture the value of her art's contribution to the finished product as part of the price for the original transaction, the economic rationale for protecting an adaptation as "derivative" is absent…An alteration that includes (or consumes) a complete copy of the original lacks economic significance. One work changes hands multiple times, exactly what [the law] permits, so it may lack legal significance too”

Where I can a legal opening is later on in the opinion. The case was decided whether the alteration was sufficient to make it a derivative work. In this case the court did not find that mounting and glazing the art was sufficient to meet the standard for a derivative work, particularly the portion saying if the “work may be recast, transformed, or adapted.” In this case, the court did not find the mounting process to rise to the standard of a derivative work however similar cases (see MIRAGE EDITIONS v. ALBUQUERQUE A.R.T. CO) have ruled differently.

I can definitely see the argument of the copyrighted work being “recast” and thus becoming a derivative work where Marvel would have rights but I also can’t say it’s such a sure thing that they would surely prevail, though I’d imagine Marvel simply threatening legal action, regardless of it’s chances of prevailing, would be enough to get Black Flag to change its behavior
Quote:
@Byrdibyrd @Jesse_O

Post 530 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:

Crux of the matter in a nutshell. Had A.R.T. Company done that, they would have lost their case.

Not even necessary to reference the certification element. The court distinguished based on the facts. In that case the art itself was not transformed or altered in any way. It was mounted and still visible as originally created. There are other more technical differences (technical re: application of statutory vs common law precedent) but unnecessary to dive into… the UF4 acetate cover would fail under the judgment of the case cited. This is because the cover is visibly altered as presented vs the original work.

There are other issues (in favor of Marvel if they pursued this) but I’ll leave it at that.

None of the above constitutes a legal opinion, just my personal quick interpretation ;-)
Post 531 IP   flag post
Also, Judge Easterbrook is one of my favorite judges (in terms of his written opinions). So thank you for providing the link.
Post 532 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
We will all know soon enough what Marvel did, if anything, if Clayton and Black Flag get another Marvel exclusive soon.
Post 533 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Hopefully this closes this topic out for any future transgressions from Black Flag or any other pond scum retailers/dealers

Taken from another site - sent from Marvel to retailers (apparently)

Post 534 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
Really looking forward to NYCC to see if they are there and whatever shenanigans the bring with them.
Post 535 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd
Post 536 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Hopefully this closes this topic out for any future transgressions from Black Flag or any other pond scum retailers/dealers

Taken from another site - sent from Marvel to retailers (apparently)

you just know there's been some discussions behind closed doors..

I wonder if there's any with cgc?
Post 537 IP   flag post
Almost as though publishing a bootleg variant that appeared official is illegal…
Post 538 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
you just know there's been some discussions behind closed doors..

You know it. To have been a fly on the wall...
Post 539 IP   flag post

Black flag be like ...
Post 540 IP   flag post
@ComicNinja0215

Marvel be like: "...all cover artwork must be created and approved by Marvel."

This is code for 'we will destroy you if you do not comply.'
Post 541 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd Marvel: I am Inevitable lol
Post 542 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
This is code for 'we will destroy you if you do not comply.'

The Disney mentality.

Anyway, we'll see. They may do nothing.
Pretty sure the message was understood a week ago.
Post 543 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I wasted a lot of time over there justifying this nonsense.

I think I saw that. Welcome back.

Quote:
I like CGC and I'm gonna continue to send them book but someone has to own up to this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
Why?

If you tell them you're going to keep sending books despite this..... why would they bother?
Quote:
Quite right but what's the alternative??

Quote:
This is certainly a dirt stain on the cgc brand however where else are (you going) to take your business?? I know their not the only game in town but everywhere seems to have a problem so pick your problem.

Quote:
I set my feet here at cgc and I'm enjoying my stay; not ready to pack up and leave yet.
Quote:
All I know is that I'm not jumping ship because of this nonsense...
Post 544 IP   flag post
@Siggy ty!
Post 545 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 546 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Hmmm nerdy girl still at it. Lol
Post 547 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
But she only got 75 copies lol
Post 548 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
What does that even mean?
Post 549 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson

Also confused. Why would you take a CGC grading class? Is it similar to the ITT Tech scam?

Or are you refering to how "nobody's the boss of [her]", implying she is either self employed or on welfare.
Post 550 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Apparently Nerdy Girl has a favorite selfie pose and a signature head tilt.
Post 551 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head
Hmmm nerdy girl still at it. Lol

sheeetttt..... does this mean she is just as or even more 'qualified' than that EGS guy??!!
Post 552 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:

Also confused. Why would you take a CGC grading class? Is it similar to the ITT Tech scam?

Or are you refering to how "nobody's the boss of [her]", implying she is either self employed or on welfare.

I know Danielle, not personally per se, but I've met her and her boyfriend/husband/significant other. They're not on welfare. They're self employed in the comic business. Her b/h/so deals in some very nice books. Adam aka Filter81 on the cgc boards. Very nice guy. He's quiet and reserved. She's boisterous and outgoing.
Post 553 IP   flag post
Quote:
Apparently Nerdy Girl has a favorite selfie pose and a signature head tilt.

Don't they all?
Post 554 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:

I know Danielle, not personally per se, but I've met her and her boyfriend/husband/significant other. They're not on welfare. They're self employed in the comic business. Her b/h/so deals in some very nice books. Adam aka Filter81 on the cgc boards. Very nice gut. He's quiet and reserved. She's boisterous and outgoing.

I'll take your word for it. I don't look too closely at that on other people's hubbies. Gets me in trouble.
Post 555 IP   flag post
600882 617 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?