Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CGC puts blue label on "new" modified excl18147

I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmonster
@flanders When you say you’ve been unlucky are you getting little to no response or just people wasting your time?

Very limited to no response at all, rarely any time wasted. It may be more to do with what I'm selling.
Post 426 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head
That Deadpool cover is racist look how he’s holding that taco and wearing that hat. What where they thinking?

He's thinking, "I should be wearing a nacho hat".

Post 427 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
@Zombie_Head
So Ghost Rider & Deadpool got pulled in Boston? Was that Black Flag's own idea or were they compelled by another party? Enquiring minds want to know...

I don’t know but they may have pulled it to stop all the people complaining to them about it. Im sure influencers will have them. Lol
Post 428 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicNinja0215
Maybe this will end the variant trend or at least cut down on it.
are you kidding?

Unless marvel steps in, this will open the floodgates for post production modifications being recognised as new variants and sold at premium

The precedent has now been set. Integrity has left the room

Yeah I agree. we're probably going to see roughly 2 years of stores and online retailers trying to outdo each other with the next hot acetate, and whatever comes after acetate. This is going to create a flood of "new" old variants that they are sitting on. CGC just gave them a new way to recycle old trash for $$$.

Not only that, they are creating a new category within it as well, because it's only a matter of time before a legit artist and store want to make something and CGC denies them, then they get to yell about discrimination, and the first "official/not official" aftermarket variant will be making the rounds and getting hyped.
Post 429 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
Quote:
Originally Posted by James42
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Official word from CGC Mike about acetate value stamps:

- The addition of the value stamp to the comic with the missing value stamp had to be created by the same artist of the original value stamp

- the hand drawn acetate value stamp had to contain both a cover and an original value stamp by the same artist

- A copy of the reproduced acetate value stamp by Trimpe had to be submitted for us for acceptance, before we certify.

So it's all ok! dontcha see?

I wonder when he will say.....
"...and we have been in contact with Marvel and here is their approval."

Uhmmm....*looks at his watch*.....I am still waiting? Marvel...are you listening? Or is it that CGC now dictates your publishing rules?

smh

I'm not sure Marvel can really say anything. Isn't this similar to modifying vehicles? If you modify a Chevy to add a spoiler and mag wheels and sell it can Chevy stop you or say something about it? not sure...

Chevrolet can probably avoid honoring any warranty claims, depending on the modification. They have also recently announced that flipping in-demand models (like the new Hummer EV or Corvette Z06) will void most of the vehicle warranties. Including the power train.

I hadn't heard of that, but that's a pretty good idea to prevent people from flipping the cars.
it won’t. If you can afford to pay above msrp and are willing to because you can’t wait then you don’t care about warranties or you will move on to the next new shiny thing when you get bored.

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/07/general-motors-penalizes-corvette-hummer-and-escalade-v-flippers-by-cancelling-the-vehicles-warranty/

They might not let flippers buy more cars, as well. Not sure how they plan to implement that, but it's out there as a possibility. More likely they would punish dealers who sell multiple flip cars by restrictions on allocations, but who knows.
Post 430 IP   flag post

" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
I could add a -lot- to the car analogy but won’t.
Post 431 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Zombie_Head
So Ghost Rider & Deadpool got pulled in Boston? Was that Black Flag's own idea or were they compelled by another party? Enquiring minds want to know...

Seen reports that they just sold them to vendors. No idea if true. The books were there though, according to at least one photo.
Post 432 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
Quote:
@Zombie_Head

Seen reports that they just sold them to vendors. No idea if true. The books were there though, according to at least one photo.

Yep yep yep - which is precisely what I meant when I wrote this. The way of scum when they get caught. Sneaky smart

Post 433 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT_Comics

I don't really think there are fraudulent "private signing" books out there, but the idea isn't as far-fetched as it once would've been.

And there you have it.. Someone on YouTube admitting they've successfully slid in old, unwitnessed signatures to get yellow labels with new.

Was there ever any doubt this was the way things worked?

Red label only for me. ( just wish cbcs would change the colour )

Skip to 3:24
Edit : that said its level vid worth watching through

Post 434 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
WOW, but that is special. I'm still not seeing how the speaker is getting accurate information for the sneaky signature onto the yellow label, or does it just get the same date as the witnessed signature it's riding with? I need to see one of these yellow labels that he snuck an unwitnessed signature in on. Do I think CGC is that gullible? It wouldn't surprise me. I just need to see more before I know for sure what I think about this.

Quote:

Your wish is granted! All signature labels are yellow for CBCS books, but witnessed signature are listed as 'witnessed' along with the date, and verified signatures as 'verified' with no date.

Post 435 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Change it to something other than yellow? CBCS hasn't had red labels for over two years now
Post 436 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Quote:

Change it to something other than yellow? CBCS hasn't had red labels for over two years now
whoops I didn't realise! I like
Post 437 IP   flag post
Quote:
WOW, but that is special. I'm still not seeing how the speaker is getting accurate information for the sneaky signature onto the yellow label, or does it just get the same date as the witnessed signature it's riding with? I need to see one of these yellow labels that he snuck an unwitnessed signature in on. Do I think CGC is that gullible? It wouldn't surprise me. I just need to see more before I know for sure what I think about this.

Quote:

Your wish is granted! All signature labels are yellow for CBCS books, but witnessed signature are listed as 'witnessed' along with the date, and verified signatures as 'verified' with no date.

is not them being gullible. I believe they accepting additional book and including it in the batch for SS slabs in a signing
Post 438 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT_Comics

I don't really think there are fraudulent "private signing" books out there, but the idea isn't as far-fetched as it once would've been.

And there you have it.. Someone on YouTube admitting they've successfully slid in old, unwitnessed signatures to get yellow labels with new.

Was there ever any doubt this was the way things worked?

Skip to 3:24
Edit : that said its level vid worth watching through

I so liked the red verified signature and/or art label.

*chants* Bring back the Red! Bring back the Red!

For one..it sets CBCS apart from ALL other companies...IMO - it should be thrir prize venture/franchise.

I'm ALL in.

*drops mic*

😀
Post 439 IP   flag post
Quote:
I believe they accepting additional book and including it in the batch for SS slabs in a signing

I'd love to say they had more integrity than that, but... yeah. All I need to do is consider what's been going on the past few days.
Post 440 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

whoops I didn't realise! I like

Me, too! I think they look great, and it's also much better for getting the point across that witnessed and verified by a professional handwriting expert should be considered of equal value and veracity.
Post 441 IP   flag post
So, judging by CGC’s new “standards”, if I get one of those blank cover comics with the original cover underneath and have that artist do a sketch on the blank, it’s no longer a sketch on a cover but an extremely limited 1/1 variant cover!
Post 442 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
So, judging by CGC’s new “standards”, if I get one of those blank cover comics with the original cover underneath and have that artist do a sketch on the blank, it’s no longer a sketch on a cover but an extremely limited 1/1 variant cover!

could I take a sketch I have by the cover artist and 'attach' it to a book and get my 9.8?

I have some ok sketches.....
Post 443 IP   flag post
@KatKomics Looking at the guidelines you’re sitting on a potential pile of unique variants
Post 444 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Marvel's (Disney) reaction to this issue is the most interesting part that remains to be seen. When they commission an artist to do a cover, they approve that cover. To have the artist go off and do another unapproved cover in the after-market strikes me as something they will not be able to condone. It's just too risky for the brand. It's not the same as a single print sketch cover.
Post 445 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
My question is why hasn't marvel put its 2 cents in yet? The only thing that I've heard mentioned that may be a factor is that clayton crain is a very popular artist and a huge money maker. If that's the case they might be a bit more lenient than if it was some other shmoo who did this.
Post 446 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte My best guess would be that they are in private conversations with Clayton Crain before making any kind of public announcement.
Post 447 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
That would be my guess too. He pulled out of an event and has remained silent. My assumption would be to condemn him in private. But since he is so intertwined with Black Flag, it's going to be hard to condemn black flag without dragging him in.
Post 448 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not convinced Marvel can say or do anything about this.

All Marvel can do is publically state that this book is not endorsed by Marvel. They had no involvement in the manipulation of this book after its initial release.
Post 449 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

All Marvel can do is publically state that this book is not endorsed by Marvel. They had no involvement in the manipulation of this book after its initial release.

As soon as it was implied that this fiasco had the Marvel stamp of approval and they profited from that claim, then Marvel has a right to step in. Had they just said it was a homebrew kinda thing and not sought assistance from CGC to make the books look like an official release, then there would be no problem.
Post 450 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

As soon as it was implied that this fiasco had the Marvel stamp of approval and they profited from that claim, then Marvel has a right to step in. Had they just said it was a homebrew kinda thing and not sought assistance from CGC to make the books look like an official release, then there would be no problem.

I missed where they (Black Flag) implied that...certainly if there is an implication that Marvel sanctioned this release then absolutely Marvel can intervene.
Post 451 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

I missed where they (Black Flag) implied that...certainly if there is an implication that Marvel sanctioned this release then absolutely Marvel can intervene.

Aftermarket alterations would automatically get a green label but that was not the case here. The blue label from CGC states it's the 'Black Flag Edition,' implying that it was an official release.
Post 452 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Anyone see this

Post 453 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
My question is why hasn't marvel put its 2 cents in yet?

Why should they? I don’t see how it effects their brand in a positive way, a negative way, or in any way. They weren’t involved in the production of the acetate, the art on it, nor did they staple it to the book. The issues surrounding the altered book and grading it have nothing to do with them. They happened after they delivered the product to the buyer.
Post 454 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Aftermarket alterations would automatically get a green label but that was not the case here. The blue label from CGC states it's the 'Black Flag Edition,' implying that it was an official release.

If that's the implication then that's on CGC and not Black Flag. This alone doesn't mean Marvel shouldn't make a public statement but perhaps Marvel privately reached out to CGC for the label notation change already.

In my opinion, 100% of this fiasco falls at the feet of CGC. They were the gatekeepers here. Even if Black Flag told CGC this is a Marvel sanctioned release, CGC has a responsibility of due diligence and confirm Black Flag's claim.

This book should have been qualified green label or unviersal label with a grade hit and label notes period.

I don't fault Black Flag at all really....they've acted as expected...even if shady...still as expected. CGC on the other hand are professionals paid to sniff this crap out and either failed to do so or are knowingly complicit. Either way, not a good look for them.
Post 455 IP   flag post
597978 617 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?