Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CGC puts blue label on "new" modified excl18147

I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@Wraith I'll still consider purchasing their slabs, if it was originally graded before 2009, even if it has a new reholder, and before the @sborock exit (around 2008 I believe). I may even buy their slabs up until a grade date of 2020, when their limited grading credibility started to hit rock bottom. I've somehow stuck to my promise of never submitting to them thus far, but it's harder to stay away from some purchases.

clickable text
Post 401 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
@Wraith pope dreams at best. I fear this only get worse and crazier. I can't wait till nycc lol
Post 402 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicNinja0215
pope dreams at best

And I thought I was the only one that dreamed about him...
Post 403 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user

Post 404 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
Wow, looks like Crain was directly involved, based on CGCs press release.

Well... he did draw it. I'd say that's directly involved.
Post 405 IP   flag post

@flanders lol ya know, auto correct....it's gonna be the death of me. Pipe lol
Post 406 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
To me this is much like a commissioned cover/sketch. You have an artist use that book as a canvas for that work and it is notated as such when slabbed. I’m this case the acetate was that canvas and the cover completed the image after being attached after the official print.

Completely agree.
I tried that explanation at the other forum and they went off on me
They thought I was defending this.
Their biggest argument was that there are 750 of these and apparently a sketch can only be one-of-a-kind, which is of course untrue. Think I mentioned it earlier in this thread too. But yea, it's the same as sketching these things on the book... but done better.

It's not the same as sketching on an existing cover. It's the same as sketching on a piece of paper and attaching it to an already published book with additional staples. If you want to go the sketch route, and that is a big if, then the label should have at least been yellow. The yellow label itself is a qualified label giving the book a grade by discounting the art or signature applied to it.

When the acetate is closed and you see the flags, it would look similar to if someone sketched them on. A remarque. That's what I'm saying.

I have a gold coin that when the foil wrapper is on it it looks like a real gold doubloon. However, if you take foil wrapper off, it's just chocolate... or a condom. I sometimes get them mixed up.

Not sure what that means.
What if you drew on one coin, then drew the exact same thing on plastic over the other coin, then looked at them both. I guess that would be more relevant.
Post 407 IP   flag post
I know this is going down at Boston fan expo so I can't wait for the weekend report. Lol
Post 408 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
For me, I will never touch another CGC slab again.

I tend to buy raw books, but I do buy slabs on occasion. I'm with you. Those occasional slabs will no longer be CGC.
Post 409 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka

No argument here. I think this subject has run its course and I, for one, don't have anything to add that I haven't said already.
Post 410 IP   flag post
Yeah were done here. They suck, let's move on.
Post 411 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by James42
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Official word from CGC Mike about acetate value stamps:

- The addition of the value stamp to the comic with the missing value stamp had to be created by the same artist of the original value stamp

- the hand drawn acetate value stamp had to contain both a cover and an original value stamp by the same artist

- A copy of the reproduced acetate value stamp by Trimpe had to be submitted for us for acceptance, before we certify.

So it's all ok! dontcha see?

I wonder when he will say.....
"...and we have been in contact with Marvel and here is their approval."

Uhmmm....*looks at his watch*.....I am still waiting? Marvel...are you listening? Or is it that CGC now dictates your publishing rules?

smh

I'm not sure Marvel can really say anything. Isn't this similar to modifying vehicles? If you modify a Chevy to add a spoiler and mag wheels and sell it can Chevy stop you or say something about it? not sure...

Chevrolet can probably avoid honoring any warranty claims, depending on the modification. They have also recently announced that flipping in-demand models (like the new Hummer EV or Corvette Z06) will void most of the vehicle warranties. Including the power train.

I hadn't heard of that, but that's a pretty good idea to prevent people from flipping the cars.
Post 412 IP   flag post
One final thought: two brothers comics had a great love stream.of a guy trolling black.flag booth at Boston. Security chased him out. Lol
Post 413 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
This is certainly one of the more legitimate tempests to hit our little teapot. Not sure I agree with calls to wrap it up. Sure, we've made enough analogies and comparisons to last a couple months. But I for one am interested in following this and seeing where it goes. It sets new precedent. I also learned that @flanders dreams of the pope.
Post 414 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
This is certainly one of the more legitimate tempests to hit our little teapot. Not sure I agree with calls to wrap it up. Sure, we've made enough analogies and comparisons to last a couple months. But I for one am interested in following this and seeing where it goes. It sets new precedent. I also learned that @flanders dreams of the pope.

If there are new developments then that needs to be discussed. If Marvel does decide to shut down the shenanigans from Black Flag and/or CGC, or if someone can confirm it was legal action that got eBay to pull slabs of Acetate Gate facsimiles, I would like to know about that. If it's just all the same ol' stuff, though, I think we've talked it out a lot already.
Post 415 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia this isn't gonna go away anytime soon so there's gonna be new info at some point. We'll follow the rabbit hole down.
Post 416 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka

No argument here. I think this subject has run its course and I, for one, don't have anything to add that I haven't said already.
I could entertain it a bit longer.
Post 417 IP   flag post
Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
@Byrdibyrd Luckily, I no longer participate on In Your Facebook.

How long ago did I delete FB...? At least fifteen years ago, maybe longer. Too many toxic condoms trying to disguise themselves as chocolate doubloons. Not to my taste at all, regardless of texture.

@Byrdibyrd I deleted my FB account last year but started a new one this year for local cash only sales. It’s working out pretty well I don’t accept friend requests it’s used for selling only.
Post 418 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:

- The addition of the value stamp to the comic with the missing value stamp had to be created by the same artist of the original value stamp

- the hand drawn acetate value stamp had to contain both a cover and an original value stamp by the same artist

- A copy of the reproduced acetate value stamp by Trimpe had to be submitted for us for acceptance, before we certify.

Uhmmm....*looks at his watch*.....I am still waiting? Marvel...are you listening? Or is it that CGC now dictates your publishing rules?

smh

I'm not sure Marvel can really say anything. Isn't this similar to modifying vehicles? If you modify a Chevy to add a spoiler and mag wheels and sell it can Chevy stop you or say something about it? not sure...

Chevrolet can probably avoid honoring any warranty claims, depending on the modification. They have also recently announced that flipping in-demand models (like the new Hummer EV or Corvette Z06) will void most of the vehicle warranties. Including the power train.

I hadn't heard of that, but that's a pretty good idea to prevent people from flipping the cars.
it won’t. If you can afford to pay above msrp and are willing to because you can’t wait then you don’t care about warranties or you will move on to the next new shiny thing when you get bored.
Post 419 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmonster
@Byrdibyrd I deleted my FB account last year but started a new one this year for local cash only sales

I tried something similar after deleting my 1st facebook account. However, I've been so unlucky with selling anything there, and after growing incredibly bored with the repitition and stale jokes of the 7 or 8 comics groups I joined (mostly marketplace ones), I decided to leave them all yesterday. It's the best decision I've made recently and it'll probably save minutes of my life.
Post 420 IP   flag post
@flanders I hear ya I’ve had mostly good success but still deal with people trying to waste my time here is how I deal with that.
Any potential buyer I send to a police station 5 minutes from my house. Once they say they are there I ask them something about the location that they can only describe if they are actually there. If they answer right I’m there in 5 minutes if not I know they are wasting my time and I’m done dealing with them. Works great.
Post 421 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
That would drive me nuts. I am extremely OCD about being late. Unless there is an emergency everyone I know knows I will be there minimum 30 minutes early....
Post 422 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotKeyComics
Black Flag has reportedly stopped selling the Ghost Rider and Deadpool acetates in Boston.

That Deadpool cover is racist look how he’s holding that taco and wearing that hat. What where they thinking?
Post 423 IP   flag post
@flanders When you say you’ve been unlucky are you getting little to no response or just people wasting your time?
Post 424 IP   flag post
@Zombie_Head
So Ghost Rider & Deadpool got pulled in Boston? Was that Black Flag's own idea or were they compelled by another party? Enquiring minds want to know...
Post 425 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmonster
@flanders When you say you’ve been unlucky are you getting little to no response or just people wasting your time?

Very limited to no response at all, rarely any time wasted. It may be more to do with what I'm selling.
Post 426 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head
That Deadpool cover is racist look how he’s holding that taco and wearing that hat. What where they thinking?

He's thinking, "I should be wearing a nacho hat".

Post 427 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Zombie_Head
So Ghost Rider & Deadpool got pulled in Boston? Was that Black Flag's own idea or were they compelled by another party? Enquiring minds want to know...

I don’t know but they may have pulled it to stop all the people complaining to them about it. Im sure influencers will have them. Lol
Post 428 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicNinja0215
Maybe this will end the variant trend or at least cut down on it.
are you kidding?

Unless marvel steps in, this will open the floodgates for post production modifications being recognised as new variants and sold at premium

The precedent has now been set. Integrity has left the room

Yeah I agree. we're probably going to see roughly 2 years of stores and online retailers trying to outdo each other with the next hot acetate, and whatever comes after acetate. This is going to create a flood of "new" old variants that they are sitting on. CGC just gave them a new way to recycle old trash for $$$.

Not only that, they are creating a new category within it as well, because it's only a matter of time before a legit artist and store want to make something and CGC denies them, then they get to yell about discrimination, and the first "official/not official" aftermarket variant will be making the rounds and getting hyped.
Post 429 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:

smh

it won’t. If you can afford to pay above msrp and are willing to because you can’t wait then you don’t care about warranties or you will move on to the next new shiny thing when you get bored.

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/07/general-motors-penalizes-corvette-hummer-and-escalade-v-flippers-by-cancelling-the-vehicles-warranty/

They might not let flippers buy more cars, as well. Not sure how they plan to implement that, but it's out there as a possibility. More likely they would punish dealers who sell multiple flip cars by restrictions on allocations, but who knows.
Post 430 IP   flag post
601520 617 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?