Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CGC puts blue label on "new" modified excl18147

No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@HotKeyComics what if my copy has 5 staples, would it get a 10.8???
Post 376 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
@Nearmint67 lmao he was a big guy and heavy handed lol. He passed away unfortunately so I had to find a new one.
Post 377 IP   flag post
That deadpool is pretty cool lol
Post 378 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Official word from CGC Mike about acetate value stamps:

- The addition of the value stamp to the comic with the missing value stamp had to be created by the same artist of the original value stamp

- the hand drawn acetate value stamp had to contain both a cover and an original value stamp by the same artist

- A copy of the reproduced acetate value stamp by Trimpe had to be submitted for us for acceptance, before we certify.

So it's all ok! dontcha see?

I wonder when he will say.....
"...and we have been in contact with Marvel and here is their approval."

Uhmmm....*looks at his watch*.....I am still waiting? Marvel...are you listening? Or is it that CGC now dictates your publishing rules?

smh

I'm not sure Marvel can really say anything. Isn't this similar to modifying vehicles? If you modify a Chevy to add a spoiler and mag wheels and sell it can Chevy stop you or say something about it? not sure...

Chevy can say something if you claim that it's a special authorised Chevy upgrade. As soon as you say Chevy had anything to do with and it wasn't ALL just you, then Chevy can step in and demand you not associate their brand with your garage mods.

That being said, as soon as the comic was considered an 'official' variant, that implies consent from the publisher. The publisher can say something unless there's something else in play, like a precedent having already been set where a merchant was allowed to do something similar in the past with no repercussions.
Post 379 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
If they've been pulled from Boston; I guarantee they'll show up somehow, somewhere else in a much more clandestine way.

Smart.... smart.
Post 380 IP   flag post

would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
To me this is much like a commissioned cover/sketch. You have an artist use that book as a canvas for that work and it is notated as such when slabbed. I’m this case the acetate was that canvas and the cover completed the image after being attached after the official print.

Completely agree.
I tried that explanation at the other forum and they went off on me
They thought I was defending this.
Their biggest argument was that there are 750 of these and apparently a sketch can only be one-of-a-kind, which is of course untrue. Think I mentioned it earlier in this thread too. But yea, it's the same as sketching these things on the book... but done better.

It's not the same as sketching on an existing cover. It's the same as sketching on a piece of paper and attaching it to an already published book with additional staples. If you want to go the sketch route, and that is a big if, then the label should have at least been yellow. The yellow label itself is a qualified label giving the book a grade by discounting the art or signature applied to it.

When the acetate is closed and you see the flags, it would look similar to if someone sketched them on. A remarque. That's what I'm saying.
Post 381 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicNinja0215
Cbcs all the way

Agree, but I wish CBCS had lower turnaround times and better memembership options.

Higher price, slow TATs and no CS... The reasons I went back there.
Of course, the offer in my email helped.
Post 382 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Wow, looks like Crain was directly involved, based on CGCs press release.
Post 383 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Official word from CGC Mike about acetate value stamps:

- The addition of the value stamp to the comic with the missing value stamp had to be created by the same artist of the original value stamp

- the hand drawn acetate value stamp had to contain both a cover and an original value stamp by the same artist

- A copy of the reproduced acetate value stamp by Trimpe had to be submitted for us for acceptance, before we certify.

So it's all ok! dontcha see?

I wonder when he will say.....
"...and we have been in contact with Marvel and here is their approval."

Uhmmm....*looks at his watch*.....I am still waiting? Marvel...are you listening? Or is it that CGC now dictates your publishing rules?

smh

I'm not sure Marvel can really say anything. Isn't this similar to modifying vehicles? If you modify a Chevy to add a spoiler and mag wheels and sell it can Chevy stop you or say something about it? not sure...

Chevy can say something if you claim that it's a special authorised Chevy upgrade. As soon as you say Chevy had anything to do with and it wasn't ALL just you, then Chevy can step in and demand you not associate their brand with your garage mods.

That being said, as soon as the comic was considered an 'official' variant, that implies consent from the publisher. The publisher can say something unless there's something else in play, like a precedent having already been set where a merchant was allowed to do something similar in the past with no repercussions.

If Black Flag claimed this was an official variant then Yes, Marvel can and should step in but I didn't hear that Black Flag claimed this. Now, if CGC claimed this then that's even worse for CGC. Not only did they pooch the whole grading/label thing but now this.
Post 384 IP   flag post
Hahaha pooch lol
Post 385 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@ComicNinja0215 🍻
Post 386 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
To me this is much like a commissioned cover/sketch. You have an artist use that book as a canvas for that work and it is notated as such when slabbed. I’m this case the acetate was that canvas and the cover completed the image after being attached after the official print.

Completely agree.
Their biggest argument was that there are 750 of these and apparently a sketch can only be one-of-a-kind, which is of course untrue. Think I mentioned it earlier in this thread too. But yea, it's the same as sketching these things on the book... but done better.

It's not the same as sketching on an existing cover. It's the same as sketching on a piece of paper and attaching it to an already published book with additional staples. If you want to go the sketch route, and that is a big if, then the label should have at least been yellow. The yellow label itself is a qualified label giving the book a grade by discounting the art or signature applied to it.

When the acetate is closed and you see the flags, it would look similar to if someone sketched them on. A remarque. That's what I'm saying.

I have a gold coin that when the foil wrapper is on it it looks like a real gold doubloon. However, if you take foil wrapper off, it's just chocolate... or a condom. I sometimes get them mixed up.
Post 387 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
$70 upgrades on $4 comic books. We are now in the extreme Brabus era of comic book variants. Brabus upgrades for unsold Hyundai.
Post 388 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65

That is very disappointing.
Post 389 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Completely agree.

I have a gold coin that when the foil wrapper is on it it looks like a real gold doubloon. However, if you take foil wrapper off, it's just chocolate... or a condom. I sometimes get them mixed up.

If this were FB you'd have about a gazillion clowns running around eagerly searching for condoms wrapped up as dubloons.
Post 390 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

This could be really really good or really really bad, depending on the situation you're in.
Post 391 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

They might taste the same but you can tell them apart by texture.
Post 392 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd Luckily, I no longer participate on In Your Facebook.
Post 393 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:

They might taste the same but you can tell them apart by texture.

There's nothing I hate more than rubbery chocolate.
Post 394 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Byrdibyrd Luckily, I no longer participate on In Your Facebook.

How long ago did I delete FB...? At least fifteen years ago, maybe longer. Too many toxic condoms trying to disguise themselves as chocolate doubloons. Not to my taste at all, regardless of texture.
Post 395 IP   flag post
Maybe this will end the variant trend or at least cut down on it.
Post 396 IP   flag post
Quote:

In my sparkly, rainbow-festooned, happy dreams...
Post 397 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd lmao!!!
Post 398 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
are you kidding?

Unless marvel steps in, this will open the floodgates for post production modifications being recognised as new variants and sold at premium

The precedent has now been set. Integrity has left the room
Post 399 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotKeyComics
CGC has made up some... er... released the rules they used to grade these:

This should be the death of cgc. It's clear they don't care about legitimate certification, just cash grabs.

But as long as enough people think it's a way to increase value of their books they want to flip this bad joke will continue

For me, I will never touch another CGC slab again.
Post 400 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@Wraith I'll still consider purchasing their slabs, if it was originally graded before 2009, even if it has a new reholder, and before the @sborock exit (around 2008 I believe). I may even buy their slabs up until a grade date of 2020, when their limited grading credibility started to hit rock bottom. I've somehow stuck to my promise of never submitting to them thus far, but it's harder to stay away from some purchases.

clickable text
Post 401 IP   flag post
@Wraith pope dreams at best. I fear this only get worse and crazier. I can't wait till nycc lol
Post 402 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
pope dreams at best

And I thought I was the only one that dreamed about him...
Post 403 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user

Post 404 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65

Well... he did draw it. I'd say that's directly involved.
Post 405 IP   flag post
601475 617 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?