Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CGC puts blue label on "new" modified excl18147

Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@Sigur_Ros per your comments on the CGC board...it's about precedent. Doesn't really matter what the new content is, or how you or I feel about it. If Marvel set the precedent of saying "we're ok with this", it opens the floodgates to them losing control of their brand. It makes it difficult to stop future activities by other parties. There's just no way they can set that precedent in my opinion.
Post 251 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
A filet mignon is just as tasty on a paper plate, and using a plastic knife and fork.

Turns out that a bologna sandwich with potato chips at 11 pm also holds up pretty well on a paper plate.
Post 252 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
You guys use plates?
Post 253 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
I will still use them for signings because I suspect that is a line they won't cross.

I honestly don't think Blackstone has a line they won't cross anymore.
Post 254 IP   flag post
The way SS are done these day when books are sent off to be done in private session you could have room full of people signing books and putting yellow labels on and provided the sig looks passable noone would know any better..

The magic of meeting someone you respect having a chat and the memory of watching them sign has been perverted by this ss private signing garbage
Post 255 IP   flag post

PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotKeyComics
I honestly don't think Blackstone has a line they won't cross anymore.

CBCS gets bought; Customer Service goes down the drain.
CGC gets bought; Approving gimmicks for profit makes their integrity go down the drain.

There's a lesson to be learned here.
Post 256 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
@Sigur_Ros per your comments on the CGC board...it's about precedent. Doesn't really matter what the new content is, or how you or I feel about it. If Marvel set the precedent of saying "we're ok with this", it opens the floodgates to them losing control of their brand. It makes it difficult to stop future activities by other parties. There's just no way they can set that precedent in my opinion.

I'm not sure which comment you're referring to so I'm not sure how to respond other than to say I agree.
I'm not saying that Marvel should just accept it, but will it be worth causing big problems or just send the guy a C&D?

Rumor is that they've already notified retailers not to do this. Heard this in a couple places but I have no idea if true.

As you saw over there, I just don't see this much differently than a remarque. Marvel doesn't approve things people sketch on a cover. This is just a non-offensive overlay on the already approved cover. Yea, there are 750 of them but a lot of artists will do more than that for a signing. Others, of course, have limits.
But, they do charge extra for a sketch just as this guy charged extra for the acetate.
I don't know where the legal line is.
And despite all those claiming they do... they don't either.
Post 257 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
Quote:

I'm not sure which comment you're referring to so I'm not sure how to respond other than to say I agree.
I'm not saying that Marvel should just accept it, but will it be worth causing big problems or just send the guy a C&D?

Rumor is that they've already notified retailers not to do this. Heard this in a couple places but I have no idea if true.

As you saw over there, I just don't see this much differently than a remarque. Marvel doesn't approve things people sketch on a cover. This is just a non-offensive overlay on the already approved cover. Yea, there are 750 of them but a lot of artists will do more than that for a signing. Others, of course, have limits.
But, they do charge extra for a sketch just as this guy charged extra for the acetate.
the difference is each remark is a uniquely penned one off and is done as a private commission for a buyer who will use it for their personal reasons.

Printing 750 is making a product for distribution and you have to find buyers in the market with intent you are profiting from bulk sale.

Regarding this particular artwork think you will find people on internet who argue this is actually offensive as veterans received no benefit and the flag was folded incorrectly.
Post 258 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Here is a difference. A sketch/remarque etc doesn’t purport to be part of the original product.

To suggest something IS an official version, or a variation of the product (rather than a construction on top) is where (I believe) the line is crossed.

The endorsement by CGC is problematic as well.

Consider cars. You can be a customization shop and do whatever you want with a Ferrari. New wheels, modify the aero, chop the roof. But if you then sell the modified product as a Ferrari model (or variation) or suggest anything like that… Ferrari will intervene.

Because it is doing something with the brand, image, IP that is outside their control while implying they condone or support those changes. For Ferrari it also creates potential legal headaches, in addition to brand impact. For Marvel allowing this can also create other legal headaches…

Putting the acetate cover on top, modifying the image and then (combo of CGC and the shop) calling it a variant makes it appear as though Marvel endorses the variant.

Instead it should clearly be a green or purple label, calling out the added pieces.

None of the issues above apply to a remarque or sketch denoted as such.

Quote:

Post 259 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

There are many lawyers on the CGC boards. This is ignorant.
Post 260 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
the difference is each remark is a uniquely penned one off and is done as a private commission for a buyer who will use it for their personal reasons.
You can buy pre-sketched covers. Retail.

Quote:
Printing 750 is making a product for distribution and you have to find buyers in the market with intent you are profiting from bulk sale.
You can buy those same sketches in quantities. The retailer is making profit. And it's intended.

Quote:
Regarding this particular artwork think you will find people on internet who argue this is actually offensive as veterans received no benefit and the flag was folded incorrectly.
Let's be honest, there are people who will be offended it even has the flag on it or says "USA".
I was referring to the discussion of nudity.
Post 261 IP   flag post
@sigur_ros. This isn't a debate. I'm not offering opinion. Its the way it is.
Post 262 IP   flag post
Quote:
@sigur_ros. This isn't a debate. I'm not offering opinion. Its the way it is.

I wasn't debating. I was correcting.
Post 263 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
It's only silverware that separates us from the savages my friend.

And here I am, eating with disposable plastic utensils for the next 2 weeks. At this point I would say that it's only a shower, a toothbrush, a razor blade and an occasional work obligation that separates me from the savages. Without the work obligation, the shower, toothbrush and razor blade would be unnecessary.

ummmm..... IT services have the work obligation but often forego the shower, toothbrush and razor
Post 264 IP   flag post
Collector SGT_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
ac·e·tate

noun
noun: acetate; plural noun: acetates
CHEMISTRY
a salt or ester of acetic acid, containing the anion CH3COO− or the group —OCCH3.
"A more extensive study involving 86 CD patients examined the effect of 50,000 IU vitamin A acetate twice daily or placebo for an average of 14.1 months."
cellulose acetate, especially as used to make textile fibers or plastic.
"acetate silk"
a transparency made of cellulose acetate film.
"A final suggestion for getting images onto clear plastic sheets for this and other projects is to use an acrylic medium and transfer the ink-jet printed image to the acetate."
a recording disk coated with cellulose acetate.
"At one time, ‘recording ‘was essentially defined as putting a group of performers into an enclosed space and rolling acetates, or tape, to capture the event.’"

It's this one, a transparent overlay that wraps around the cover to effectively change the art to make it look like Miles Morales is holding a very poorly folded US flag.
Post 265 IP   flag post
Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
The way SS are done these day when books are sent off to be done in private session you could have room full of people signing books and putting yellow labels on and provided the sig looks passable noone would know any better..

The magic of meeting someone you respect having a chat and the memory of watching them sign has been perverted by this ss private signing garbage

@Wraith While I feel the same as you do about the ss private signings being impersonal as you don't get to chat and have the memory of watching them sign I can't see how they could be bogus.
Some upcoming signings include Willem Dafoe, Emilia Clarke, Josh Brolin & Benedict Cumberbatch.
They are telling the world that these celebs will be there for signing.
If any were asked about it and they denied taking part well you could imagine how that would turn out.
Post 266 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmonster
Quote:

@Wraith While I feel the same as you do about the ss private signings being impersonal as you don't get to chat and have the memory of watching them sign I can't see how they could be bogus.
Some upcoming signings include Willem Dafoe, Emilia Clarke, Josh Brolin & Benedict Cumberbatch.
If any were asked about it and they denied taking part well you could imagine how that would turn out.
. I went to the extreme example. But theres so many potential holes in the process to be exploited where someone might get illegitimate sig slipped into the pile or someone runs out of time to sign all books but they get done anyway.. Noone will ever know... Its so impersonal, does it even matter at that point anyway?
Post 267 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
I wasted a lot of time over there justifying this nonsense. What the hell are they thinking?? Industry standard my A**.
Post 268 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Sure, but I think he's suggesting that an extra hundred or so bogus slabs could come out at the same time as the authentic and just be accepted. This conspiracy theory only works if you think a grading company might prearrange grades such as 1x 10, 3x 9.9s, and 6x 9.8s for a retailer's convention exclusive when the base comic under the acetate had never received any 10s or 9.9s previously...

I don't really think there are fraudulent "private signing" books out there, but the idea isn't as far-fetched as it once would've been.
Post 269 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT_Comics
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
ac·e·tate

noun
noun: acetate; plural noun: acetates
CHEMISTRY
a salt or ester of acetic acid, containing the anion CH3COO− or the group —OCCH3.
"A more extensive study involving 86 CD patients examined the effect of 50,000 IU vitamin A acetate twice daily or placebo for an average of 14.1 months."
cellulose acetate, especially as used to make textile fibers or plastic.
"acetate silk"
a transparency made of cellulose acetate film.
"A final suggestion for getting images onto clear plastic sheets for this and other projects is to use an acrylic medium and transfer the ink-jet printed image to the acetate."
a recording disk coated with cellulose acetate.
"At one time, ‘recording ‘was essentially defined as putting a group of performers into an enclosed space and rolling acetates, or tape, to capture the event.’"

It's this one, a transparent overlay that wraps around the cover to effectively change the art to make it look like Miles Morales is holding a very poorly folded US flag.

lol....somewhere I have a small box of acetate sheets for an overhead projector - too small to wrap around a comic....maybe acetate cover on an ashcan though???
Post 270 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
I am surprised with all the signature conspiracy theories that have been floated here and on the other board that no one has typed the word "Autopen."
Post 271 IP   flag post
This is going to have major repercussions going forward.
Post 272 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by James42
I am surprised with all the signature conspiracy theories that have been floated here and on the other board that no one has typed the word "Autopen."

Autopen
Post 273 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user

Post 274 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics

lol....somewhere I have a small box of acetate sheets for an overhead projector - too small to wrap around a comic....maybe acetate cover on an ashcan though???

Here ya go, 6 feet wide and 99 feet long. You could do an acetate cover on a Winnebago for $800.

MarineVinylFabric.com
Post 275 IP   flag post
All the wizard ace editions have acetate cover BUT were manufactured that way and approved by marvel comics.
Post 276 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicNinja0215
All the wizard ace editions have acetate cover BUT were manufactured thay way and approved by marvel comics.

Yes, the problem with these is that the base comic with a retailer exclusive cover, approved by Marvel, was made in 2021. Then they later altered the base comic with an add-on, post-printing acetate cover that changed the originally approved artwork and added a political message (open to interpretation).
Post 277 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head

lol....best one yet?
Post 278 IP   flag post
@SGT_Comics yes and while I like Crain's art; that thin is hideous.
Post 279 IP   flag post
Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

. I went to the extreme example. But theres so many potential holes in the process to be exploited where someone might get illegitimate sig slipped into the pile or someone runs out of time to sign all books but they get done anyway.. Noone will ever know... Its so impersonal, does it even matter at that point anyway?

@Wraith No it does not and I do agree with your thoughts to sum up how I feel about it I'm going to alter @EbayMafia's comment from post #100

I'm glad I live in an alternate universe where ss books don't exist.
Post 280 IP   flag post
602907 617 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?