Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Restoration and ConservationComics Silver Age

Trimmed or manufacturing defect?18130

Collector nicholas private msg quote post Address this user
Bought this awesome copy of iron man and submariner 1, the right side is slanted up and it also appears jagged do you think this is a manufacturing defect or has it been trimmed?

Post 1 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to the forum, @nicholas.

To me it looks like a manufacturing defect. Still, I'm betting others on the forum can provide a more reliable answer.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
If the pages have a 'wedge' shape with the centre pages sticking out the most, that's actually a sign that it has NOT been trimmed. When the book is bound (i.e. stapled), the pages are all the same size and laid out flat before being stapled and folded over. Because the pages are all the same size, once they're folded, the centre pages protrude a little and it forms a wedge.

Gorgeous copy, by the way! Welcome to the forum!
Post 3 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@nicholas I'm not sure about trimming but the entire forum will be cringing if they come across that photo with the comic folded. Maybe the picture makes it look worse than it actually is.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
Still not trimmed…🤣🤣

👍🤙
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Im also of the opinion that its a "Factory Cut Edge"
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
Manufacturing
Post 7 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
as @Byrdibyrd stated. If you lay the book flat and look at the edge, it should resemble this shape >

It doesn't look trimmed to me.
Post 8 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, I'm going with manufacturing. If it was trimmed, it would be a lot smoother along the edge. It could use a press though.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector nicholas private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
If the pages have a 'wedge' shape with the centre pages sticking out the most, that's actually a sign that it has NOT been trimmed. When the book is bound (i.e. stapled), the pages are all the same size and laid out flat before being stapled and folded over. Because the pages are all the same size, once they're folded, the centre pages protrude a little and it forms a wedge.

Gorgeous copy, by the way! Welcome to the forum!

thankyou for the warm welcome!
here’s a photo of what the comic looks like from the top, doesn’t look too flat instead a bit wedged to me, thoughts?

Post 10 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
If it was trimmed, someone paid the trimmer way too much.
Post 11 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@nicholas That is normal and definitely not trimmed.
When trimming is present, the cut is smooth as @DrWatson mentioned.
Post 12 IP   flag post
598019 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?