Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

E-bay Return: What Will USPS Cover?18117

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
So, I got a return request because the Buyer claims the CGC case is separated at the bottom. They sent a pic, but I couldn’t see anything.

Anyway, because it’s e-bay, of course I had to take the return. The Buyer does have 100% positive feedback.

Will USPS insurance only cover the re-holder? Is that worth the claim? Should I Pursue the amount of the sale ($800)?

I’m sure there was nothing wrong with the case pre-shipment. And I used a very sturdy box with tons of bubble wrap.

I’ve never dealt with this before. Any insight would be appreciated.
Post 1 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
One thing to note is that all buyers have 100% positive feedback…

As for coverage I have not dealt with USPS in this type of situation. You may want to wait until what you receive back (ensure no buyer fraud) and then proceed. Perhaps in the interim document / open a claim process with USPS to get general info on record.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
So, I got a return request because the Buyer claims the CGC case is separated at the bottom. They sent a pic, but I couldn’t see anything.

Anyway, because it’s e-bay, of course I had to take the return. The Buyer does have 100% positive feedback.

Will USPS insurance only cover the re-holder? Is that worth the claim? Should I Pursue the amount of the sale ($800)?

I’m sure there was nothing wrong with the case pre-shipment. And I used a very sturdy box with tons of bubble wrap.

Post 2 IP   flag post
@Davethebrave Oh, for sure. What I mean is, He has 100% positive feedback in general.
Post 3 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave

Not if they've made some bad sales.
Post 4 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

How old of a case is it? The older cases aren't sealed all the way around and you can pry them apart on the sides and bottom with your finger nails. If it is a buyer unfamiliar with the old cases, they may incorrectly assume that the case is defective.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
I find it hard to imagine you will be able to produce documentation that is convincing to the United States Postal Service that they caused the reported damage to the slab and should pay out an insurance claim. Even I don't believe the USPS caused the damage. And I'm sympathetic to the issue.

I think two scenarios are most likely.
The Buyer doesn't know what he/she is talking about and there is NOTHING WRONG with the slab
The slab was never properly sealed at the bottom and you never noticed.

The first situation you can do nothing about except perhaps relist the book for sale.
The Second situation you should just send the book back to CGC as a mechanical error and get a free reholder.

I've not seen a CGC/CBCS slab that was not sealed just at the bottom. But I saw a CGC slab - in person - last month that it was not sealed at all. The two halves just came apart.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@DrWatson It’s only a couple months old. But it didn’t seem that different from the old cases.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@DrWatson It’s only a couple months old. But it didn’t seem that different from the old cases.

CGC's Magazine size cases are still generation 1 style. Sealed at the four corners. Can flex open at the bottom, top and sides. CGC's Gen 2 case is noticeably different. Thicker, heavier and sealed all sides. Much more rigid. CGC introduced the Generation 2 holder for comic books April, 2016. But the magazine holder is still the same from day they started grading magazines.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Stardust_Memories private msg quote post Address this user
USPS will want to inspect all the original packaging as well so have them return that as well.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I'd video record opening the box when you receive it & inspect the slab; I'd also do so in so in front of the postmaster (or shift manager) at your local post office so you'll have a witness.

The buyer could very well be sending you a box full of old newspapers that weighs the same as the slab does.

That said, if you et the slab back and the slab is actually damaged without damage to the book, you should be able to get the cost of a reholder by filing a USPS claim for the $50 or so for a reholder (reholder fee + invoice fee + shipping to/from CGC)

But not the full $800 as Tony said.
Post 10 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Did you offer to compensate the buyer so he could get a new holder himself? It's a reach into your pocket, but no matter what, this is going to cost. You already paid shipping and insurance to get it to the buyer, which you will now refund. Or if it was free shipping, you still lost the shipping amount. Then you are going to have to pay shipping and insurance to get it back. Maybe talk him into keeping it and you fund the reholder.

I think CGC only has like a 10 day examination policy for Mechanical Errors, and it's only if you are the submitter. But I am fuzzy on that policy, so maybe they can help out. But even then, it'll cost you to get it back from the buyer, cost you to send it in the first place.

As for an insurance claim, you would have to convince the USPS that there actually is something wrong, if the comic looks fine. Then they will see this fragile plastic holder, and say it was destined to be damaged. They sometimes do small refunds rather quickly. I have had luck with books that came in damaged, corners dinged. Asked for $40 compensation for a $100 order. No problem a couple of times, a few years apart. Did it all online, got a check 10 days later. Nothing like $800, though.
Post 11 IP   flag post
0h, and it wouoldnt hurt to post up pics of the slab before shipment and the pic(s) the buyer sent you.

It does seem strange the buyer only sent you one pic, I'd message him back and request that he send additional pics from other angles, to protect yourself.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I did indeed offer to pay for the re-holder. He just wanted a refund.

I’m of course stuck accepting it, because it’s e-bay. To that end, these are the two pics he sent:

Post 13 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
That's a tough situation. Putting in a claim when you get it back will probably be your best route. Might work out ok in the end.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Probably can’t win with eBay but my opinion is that you didn’t sell them a slab, you sold them a CGC graded comic book. Unless of course the description of the slab was mentioned in the listing, then you’re cooked. But if it wasn’t, I would argue the the buyer received what they purchased, slab condition is subjective but you were not selling a slab anyway. What you sold was a comic book graded and certified by CGC, the buyer if free to do as he sees fit with the slab.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I've seen stuff on the CGC boards in the quality control thread about slabs not even being sealed and falling apart completely. Wait and see if it's something that CGC should resolve before filing a USPS claim.

Maybe it's a sign that if you ever try to sell that comic you receive the KISS of death.
Post 16 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago, buyer claimed the case was cracked.
I accepted the return. When I got it back, it was evident he had tried to crack it out.
I still have it. One day I will send it in for re-holder and eat the cost.
Your book is in tact. I recommend you do the same. It's the cost of doing business on Ebay.
Even though it is an inconvenience to go through, it's a 1 in 100 transaction type of issue.

PS... Block that buyer....
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
I did indeed offer to pay for the re-holder. He just wanted a refund.

I’m of course stuck accepting it, because it’s e-bay. To that end, these are the two pics he sent:

He could be telling the thuth, but I'd say it's more likely he decided he paid too high.

I say that because I see very little "damage" in the top pic...which looks like typical plastic molding breakaway/scrape on virtually all corner of slabs, if you look at them close enough.

Not seeing any detachment at the post and while he sent you 2 pics, they were both from the same angle. A pic of the slab flipped over would more than likely reveal nothing wrong with the slab.

As this is an $800 return, I'd google search the buyers name /address and another search under his ebay user ID.

First google this, to save time:

(his ebay ID) CGC FORUMS blocked user list
Post 18 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave

Not if they've made some bad sales.

Buyers. If they are seller / buyers it can be mixed.

About 85-90% of ebay users are active buyers only. This means 100% positive feedback for most BUYERS is meaningless.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
File a claim with USPS for $50 or so to cover the cost of the re-holder including shipping.

Tell the buyer that the item is insured and that you plan to file a claim with USPS.

Offer the buyer the proceeds if they keep the book instead of returning it.

Ask the buyer to hold onto the packing materials in case USPS wants it to complete the insurance claim.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
File a claim with USPS for $50 or so to cover the cost of the re-holder including shipping.

Tell the buyer that the item is insured and that you plan to file a claim with USPS.

Offer the buyer the proceeds if they keep the book instead of returning it.

Ask the buyer to hold onto the packing materials in case USPS wants it to complete the insurance claim.

He offered to pay for the reholder, but the buyer just wanted a refund. Sounds like buyer's remorse to me. He just wants his money back, and likely is not interested in going through any "process" that leaves him still owning the book.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Had a very similar situation.

When the damaged slab was returned with all contents I filled a claim with usps. I just wanted $50 to press and regrade.

I was asked to bring the item to the local usps for examination, which I did.

They agreed it was USPS fault, and to pay me $50, however they needed to confiscate the item, both slab and comic. They would not reimburse me while letting me keep the item.

I explained the book was salvageable….and Thats not what I was asking be replaced. But that was their policy. Turn the entire contents over or no refund.

I kept the book and slab, did not get $50. Paid out of pocket to get it fixed. Was out shipping both ways to the customer, shipping to have it re-graded, and out a press and grade/slab.

So much for that $50 coverage for priority.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio

When the damaged slab was returned with all contents I filled a claim with usps. I just wanted $50 to press and regrade.

They agreed it was USPS fault, and to pay me $50, however they needed to confiscate the item, both slab and comic. They would not reimburse me while letting me keep the item.

I explained the book was salvageable….and Thats not what I was asking be replaced. But that was their policy. Turn the entire contents over or no refund.

I kept the book and slab, did not get $50. Paid out of pocket to get it fixed. Was out shipping both ways to the customer, shipping to have it re-graded, and out a press and grade/slab.

Strange, that's not what I've heard from guys I know who have received cracked slabs and filed claims for reholders.

They got their $50 from usps, one of them told me it was like pulling teeth nut he got the claim.

And it's $100 built in coverage as of last month, not $50 though the OP paid extra for $800 worth of coverage.
Post 23 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio

The person you were dealing with is wrong.

You need to dig in your heels and explain that you want money to pay the grading company to replace the case that USPS damaged and that they need to cover it as your parcel was insured against their negligent handling of your property.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
when you are a seller, and you sell something that is returned, your shipping insurance is limited to the ship mode ebay gave the buyer.

What shipping company the buyer uses depends on the shipping company the seller used.

If you sell and shipped via USPS - the return is USPS
If you sell and shipped via FedEx - the return is via FedEx.

etc...

USPS insured $50. FedEx is $100.

USPS is hardest to get them to pay a claim. FedEx is more customer friendly.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
If you think the return is egregious (I think it is), then offer the buyer Plato o Plomo. Tell him to take the $50 for a reholder or take the full refund and get put on the block list on both CGC and CBCS forums.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
If you think the return is egregious (I think it is), then offer the buyer Plato o Plomo. Tell him to take the $50 for a reholder or take the full refund and get put on the block list on both CGC and CBCS forums.

You also have the option of making your own return label and sending the pdf or jpg to the buyer. You have more control by doing it that way - the method, the cost, if insured, signed, etc. Provided the buyer can print it out, that is. But even if eBay sends them a label, they have to print it.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
Quote:

I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago, buyer claimed the case was cracked.
I accepted the return. When I got it back, it was evident he had tried to crack it out.
I still have it. One day I will send it in for re-holder and eat the cost.
Your book is in tact. I recommend you do the same. It's the cost of doing business on Ebay.
Even though it is an inconvenience to go through, it's a 1 in 100 transaction type of issue.

PS... Block that buyer....

Yup.

And @00slim, please post the buyers Ebay ID here so we can block him as well.
Post 28 IP   flag post
@ComicHoarder I’ll share it privately with anyone who asks for it. I can’t bring myself to publicly shame him.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
Usps will cover nothing. It's all on you
Post 30 IP   flag post
618083 50 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?