Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

E-bay Return: What Will USPS Cover?18117

Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
If you think the return is egregious (I think it is), then offer the buyer Plato o Plomo. Tell him to take the $50 for a reholder or take the full refund and get put on the block list on both CGC and CBCS forums.
Post 26 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
If you think the return is egregious (I think it is), then offer the buyer Plato o Plomo. Tell him to take the $50 for a reholder or take the full refund and get put on the block list on both CGC and CBCS forums.

You also have the option of making your own return label and sending the pdf or jpg to the buyer. You have more control by doing it that way - the method, the cost, if insured, signed, etc. Provided the buyer can print it out, that is. But even if eBay sends them a label, they have to print it.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
So, I got a return request because the Buyer claims the CGC case is separated at the bottom. They sent a pic, but I couldn’t see anything.

Anyway, because it’s e-bay, of course I had to take the return. The Buyer does have 100% positive feedback.

Will USPS insurance only cover the re-holder? Is that worth the claim? Should I Pursue the amount of the sale ($800)?

I’m sure there was nothing wrong with the case pre-shipment. And I used a very sturdy box with tons of bubble wrap.

I’ve never dealt with this before. Any insight would be appreciated.

I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago, buyer claimed the case was cracked.
I accepted the return. When I got it back, it was evident he had tried to crack it out.
I still have it. One day I will send it in for re-holder and eat the cost.
Your book is in tact. I recommend you do the same. It's the cost of doing business on Ebay.
Even though it is an inconvenience to go through, it's a 1 in 100 transaction type of issue.

PS... Block that buyer....

Yup.

And @00slim, please post the buyers Ebay ID here so we can block him as well.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
@ComicHoarder I’ll share it privately with anyone who asks for it. I can’t bring myself to publicly shame him.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
Usps will cover nothing. It's all on you
Post 30 IP   flag post

Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
Just the cost of doing business. Good news though - you get your ebay commission back fully... if that helps.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Had a very similar situation.

When the damaged slab was returned with all contents I filled a claim with usps. I just wanted $50 to press and regrade.

I was asked to bring the item to the local usps for examination, which I did.

They agreed it was USPS fault, and to pay me $50, however they needed to confiscate the item, both slab and comic. They would not reimburse me while letting me keep the item.

I explained the book was salvageable….and Thats not what I was asking be replaced. But that was their policy. Turn the entire contents over or no refund.

I kept the book and slab, did not get $50. Paid out of pocket to get it fixed. Was out shipping both ways to the customer, shipping to have it re-graded, and out a press and grade/slab.

So much for that $50 coverage for priority.

The person you were dealing with is wrong.

You need to dig in your heels and explain that you want money to pay the grading company to replace the case that USPS damaged and that they need to cover it as your parcel was insured against their negligent handling of your property.

I did all this. I spoke to several people, 4 trips to the post office to discuss/show the damage to different people of higher authority….in the end they said they needed to confiscate it.

I got tired of arguing with them and just took care of it.

The weird thing is that they never gave me a hard time about being at fault. They admitted it was damaged in transit.
Post 32 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
Every time I've had a problem I filed the claim online and got a check in the mail a couple weeks later.
Included pics and each time it got approved no problems and I got to keep the items.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
try online claim. everything is so automated in the usps that there might be a chance your claim is automated "Approved"... nothing to lose.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Damage was far more extensive than expressed in the return request. Crack to the front that were NOT in the pics I took for the listing.

Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Damage was far more extensive than expressed in the return request. Crack to the front that were NOT in the pics I took for the listing.

Tough but reholder and re-sell. Should be an easy sale. Nice book.
Post 36 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Those thicker (bigger) cases crack like egg shells.
Post 37 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Definitely a bummer...as @poka stated...reholder and re-sell.
Post 38 IP   flag post
My question is, does it qualify for a re-holder? Does that level of damage to the case require a Re-grade?
Post 39 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
They shouldn't regrade it. All four posts are intact. I've had pieces missing and still qualified for a reholder.
Post 40 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
CGC determines if the comic being re-holdered can maintain the same grade, or if the damage to the case has influenced the grade:

From their site:

ReHolder

A comic book in a CGC holder is encapsulated in a new CGC holder. The grade assigned to the book should not change, unless any damage occurred post-encapsulation, in which case the grade will be adjusted accordingly. To qualify, the book must still be encapsulated in its original CGC holder.

I would think that minor damage to the case would result in them passing it through at the same grade. But I am sure they will eyeball it carefully in making that decision.
Post 41 IP   flag post
I’ve filed a claim for the cost of a re-holder. We’ll see how it goes. Beyond that, I have Collectibles insurance. If USPS denies the minimal Re-holder cost, I’ll see what the insurance says.
Post 42 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
If I were you I would reconsider claiming on insure collect. If it raises your premium, is the 50 bux you save "worth it" long term?
Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
If I were you I would reconsider claiming on insure collect. If it raises your premium, is the 50 bux you save "worth it" long term?

Yeah. I’ve been considering that.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
I’ve filed a claim for the cost of a re-holder. We’ll see how it goes. Beyond that, I have Collectibles insurance. If USPS denies the minimal Re-holder cost, I’ll see what the insurance says.

If you have a Dealer policy with CIS, there is a $200 deductible per claim.

If you have a Collector policy, they won't cover a claim for $50 or less. I guess you claim $60.

But they could question whether you are a collector or a dealer, since this is an eBay sale. They only let you sell around 5% of your collection (like dupes) if you are a collector, otherwise they consider you a dealer. Easy for them to see what you have sold recently on the eBay Sold page. And they won't be thrilled with you paying a Collector Policy premium while acting as a dealer. It's a can of worms not worth opening, usually.
Post 45 IP   flag post
@chester15 I don’t sell all that often. Mostly to upgrade books from my personal collection. However, a $50 claim wouldn’t be worth it.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@chester15 I don’t sell all that often. Mostly to upgrade books from my personal collection. However, a $50 claim wouldn’t be worth it.

You actually lucked out with the crack at the top of the slab, wether it happened enroute to the buyer or in the return to you is immaterial fpor this reason:

eBay allows sellers to claim up to 50% of the item's sale price, when the seller accepts a returned item that is in lesser/damaged condition that it was when originally sold to the buyer.

As the buyer did not make any note of the crack at the top of the case, you can get paid for all this hassle on ebay's dime.

2 options:

File a claim with eBay for a damaged item, as this will qualify you to get up to 50% of the sale price.

I had a dickwad buyer return 3 or 4 Naomi slabs to me (like 2 slabs at 15 to $20 and maybe $45 for a #1 1st print (he opened the returns for "damaged/scratched cases like a day or 2 before the 30 day return policy elapsed)....the slabs were as I shipped them to him, cosmetic scratches....uyer kept the CGC issued plastic slab bags they were shipped in.

I took pics, called ebay and explained without the bags, and the additional scratches on the cases (barely visible) I'd have to have the slabs reholdered to get new bags and scratch free cases, as I said there were more scratches present than sjhown in my original listing pics...the ebay rep gave me 50% of the 3 sold slab prices, credited to my account....wasnt much,like barely $30 or $35...but I was pissed I had to take the return an, I remember making a trip to the post office just to ship those 3 slabs and getting them back with the "buyer" keeping the effing bags was a MF'er.

The ebay rep told me that the money would be coming out of his account as I asked for clarification but I have no no doubt that was a lie as the buyer had already received a 100% refund for the 3 slabs.

So, eBay had to have eaten that partial return.

Go get em, tiger.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:

In that case.....I declare you NOT a dealer. Like my opinion counts.
Post 48 IP   flag post
@chester15 I explained this to them when deciding what policy to get. They agreed. I also keep my e-bay inventory separate from my personal collection.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Update:

I filed a claim with USPS for the cost of a Re-Holder.

Received my check yesterday. No questions asked.
Post 50 IP   flag post
597867 50 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?