Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

How do you decide what comics to have slabbed?18103

I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
I have been buying graded books off and on for years; I used to belong to a subscription service that worked just like my pull list at my local LCS, where I would look through Previews each month and they would send me a 9.8 slab of whatever books I picked out. But I drifted away from that to just getting books signed or sketched on and then graded.

With CBCS offering signature verification, I have begun going back through my collection to get books verified and preserved that I got signed years ago. So that's an obvious way to make a decision.

But what about books without that emotional impact? I finally sent in my "Peter Panzerfaust" #1, like I probably should have ages ago. And I should do the same with my "Captain Marvel" #14 and "Darth Vader" #3. But where do I stop? I have always bought comics to read, not resell. As I age, however, I realize that if I want to re-read a story I am more likely to pick up a trade reprint. And I want to make it easy for my heirs to maximize value with the least effort. But slabs take up a lot more space than bags and boards.

Obviously, I'm not going to have the bulk of my collection graded; it's just that, bulk. But at what point does it stop being bulk and start being worth more active preservation? $10? $25? $50? $100? Or some other non-monetary consideration?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@James42
If you have your collection catalogued in any way, you may just want to work your way from the top down and stop whenever you like. Aside from books you feel an emotional connection to, get the priciest ones slabbed first and go from there.
Post 2 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Personally I would pick a value that makes sense financially. For example if the book after grading and pressing ends up being 100$ I would like the value of the book to be at least 150$ so I can break even or come out slightly ahead. That way I'm not losing money. That amount varies per person so think about what makes sense to you.

There are exceptions, as books that have emotional value or some covers that just look cool.

As for storage I use a roller shelf from Costco. You figure 4 shelves and 5 corrugated graded short boxes per shelf and it holds quite a few books.
(Yes I am disorganized beyond belief but this picture kinda shows what you can do with shelf. The fact it's on wheels helps makes moving stuff around easier.)

Post 3 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Don't forget signatures:

Post 4 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Oh, you already mentioned them @James42. Apologies I was distracted...
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
@James42
If you have your collection catalogued in any way, you may just want to work your way from the top down and stop whenever you like. Aside from books you feel an emotional connection to, get the priciest ones slabbed first and go from there.

That's one of the things that started this line of questioning, actually. I started using database software to keep track of my collection about 15 years ago, but when I got married and had a kid, life got in the way. So I am currently trying to sort into the physical collection and put in the database years of uncatalogued purchases. I've been making steady progress, but I have between 2500-3000 books left to enter.

And that process of sorting and data entry has got me looking at the collection as it sits, what I want to keep, and what I want to do with what I keep. I already dumped most of my "bad girl" books and horror books on eBay (I was floored by what the Marvel Zombies stuff brought), but I'm keeping all of my "Hack/Slash." I'm keeping all my "Ultimate Spider-Man," but all my other Ultimate universe stuff will get sold. So some of the choices are easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Personally I would pick a value that makes sense financially. For example if the book after grading and pressing ends up being 100$ I would like the value of the book to be at least 150$ so I can break even or come out slightly ahead. That way I'm not losing money. That amount varies per person so think about what makes sense to you.

And that's where the choices get difficult. I'm not sure what value makes sense financially, and there's potential future value; if I spend X now, will it be worth Y in 20 years? Who knows, right?
Post 6 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
If the book has no hype and is worth say 200$ on GPA, then I would say there is a fair chance it will retain value. However, as stated above go for the keys and high value books first. Then whittle down from there.

GPA is gp analysis and they track how much dlabbed books have sold for. It is a paid service but if you ask nice some folks will help look up a book or 2.

https://comics.gpanalysis.com
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by James42
And that's where the choices get difficult. I'm not sure what value makes sense financially, and there's potential future value; if I spend X now, will it be worth Y in 20 years? Who knows, right?

That's the gamble. Some things are easier than others, though. Certain books tend to retain value, like Amazing Spider-Man and high grade Silver & Bronze Age books and Mid- to high grade Golden Age books.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMorse
Don't forget signatures:

Yeah, signed books are kind of automatic at this point (if I am keeping them).

Man, I would love to meet Jim Balent at a con and get something signed. I collected Tarot for years, mostly as a joke, and really came to admire his work ethic and unwillingness to bend to expectations. Really interesting career.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
for me, its value, value, value. I wouldnt get a low value book slabbed.

also witnessed cbcs or witnessed cgc gets slabbed too.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Since the price of slabbing has gone up the book has to be worth at least $200 for me to slab.

Price increase means less I have slabbed.
Post 11 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I encapsulate whatever I would like to have encapsulated.

The last thing I sent in was a sketch cover.

Post 12 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
I keep it simple.

a = estimated value of slabbed comic
b = cost of comic (+ any shipping)
c = cost of pressing (+ shipping)
d = cost of grading (+ shipping)

If it's a comic that I intend to sell ... if a > b+c+d, it gets graded.
If it's a comic for my pc, it doesn't matter to me if a is > or <.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
I keep it simple.

This
Post 14 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
I keep it simple.

This

Totally agree with the formula but my value line is $250 or more. Of course to each their own. I also am getting books slabbed for when I am not around. I don't have many (if any) high value books but still worth something when added together.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by James42
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMorse
Don't forget signatures:

Yeah, signed books are kind of automatic at this point (if I am keeping them).

Man, I would love to meet Jim Balent at a con and get something signed. I collected Tarot for years, mostly as a joke, and really came to admire his work ethic and unwillingness to bend to expectations. Really interesting career.

He and Holly are very interesting people.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
My process developed organically, not a lot of strategy was put into it. I have 4 “staging” boxes that are separate from the bulk books. One box is for speculative multiples that are not currently ripe enough for pressing and slabbing. Another box is for Pre-1975 and a third for post-1975. These boxes include books that are a step above bulk, such as the first appearance of a character that might be gaining traction. Or the second appearance of an established character. Basically books that have a legitimate reason to have their own line item in a price guide. The 4th box is for books that are ripe enough to justify either sending in for slabbing soon or selling raw at MCS. It also includes all of my signed raw books and very low grade keys (like detached covers or otherwise below 2.0). Most everything I send for grading will have already been in one of the 4 boxes for some time. Typically a submission will be the best 25 books from these boxes. Unless it’s something that just jumped up in value out of the blue.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia
My strategy is a bit similar to yours except for the part where my books are a total mess right now.
Post 18 IP   flag post
600907 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?