Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I know several people have expressed interest in this book over the years. Charles Rozanski of Mile High Comics recently came into possession of one and shared about it on Facebook. So, here is what he shared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Rozanski
I buy and sell a great many rare old comic books, but this is the first copy of Stuntman #3 by the legendary team of Simon & Kirby that I have ever owned. Smaller than traditional comic book size, and printed in black and white. All of the very few copies still extant are supposedly in rough shape, as they were sent by mail (without a wrapper) only to a tiny group of subscribers after the title was otherwise cancelled.

In case you are wondering, I am going to price this true rarity at many multiples above the ridiculously low price estimate in Overstreet, as I sincerely have no desire to ever let it go. Love is love ❤️

Post 1 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@martymann
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I am going to price this true rarity at many multiples above the ridiculously low price estimate in Overstreet, as I sincerely have no desire to ever let it go.”

So, he’s gonna price it the same way he prices everything?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
As much of a douchebag as Rozanski is, he still manages to stay in business despite his Mile High pricing. Keep shooting for the stars, Chuckles!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
At least it proves that the ever elusive "White Whale" exists!
Thanks @Jesse_O, I'm sure @martymann will smile when he sees it
Post 5 IP   flag post
Out of curiosity, what is the Overstreet estimate on Stuntman #3?
Post 6 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
@martymann
Thank you!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Out of curiosity, what is the Overstreet estimate on Stuntman #3?

This is from the current Overstreet 51.

Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Caffeine_Kid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim

So, he’s gonna price it the same way he prices everything?

Chuck has an unusual pricing model for sure. Price everything at least double its current value and give everyone a 50% or 60% off codeword. Must be working for him. He's got the biggest comic store I've ever seen.
Post 9 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
He is a collector first and a retailer second.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Thelastpearce private msg quote post Address this user
Look at it this way, he is not trying to drive the price of comic books down.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Cool to see that it actually exists! Way to go Chuck.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I've been looking for STUNTMAN #3 ever since I picked up #1 and #2 off the newsstand.
At the time I didn't realize that they had discontinued publication of the title
and spent a lot of time searching the newsstand for a #3. I didn't even know there
was a #3 until I bought my first copy of OVERSTREET.
Always thought I should have subscribed to it and then would have received a copy
of #3.
My STUNTMAN #1 (CGC 0194836001) is graded 5.0 and my STUNTMAN #2 (CGC 0194836002) is
also a 5.0. Both were graded 08/06/2012...10 years ago.
It will be interesting to see this copy...is it the same one auctioned by HERITAGE?
Post 13 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann
It will be interesting to see this copy...is it the same one auctioned by HERITAGE?

Looks like it.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/stuntman-comics-3-harvey-1946-condition-gd-extremely-rare-book-that-was-only-sent-to-subscribers-overstreet-2003-gd/a/13081-16503.s?ic13=ListView-Thumbnail-071515-smp
Post 14 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
He sincerely has no desire to let it go, but he's consigned it to Heritage to auction?
Post 15 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
The heritage link above yours is from 2003. It doesn't appear to be current
Post 16 IP   flag post
No, @DrWatson, that's an old auction from almost 20 years ago. @martymann was just asking if Chuck's copy is the same one that was auctioned by Heritage and it does appear to be.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Ah, that's makes since.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Ah, that's makes since.
Who knows? This one copy could very well be the only one left in existence. How often do we, as comic collectors, truly, honestly deal with rarity like this. Wow!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Somebody has one sitting in their collection, that has no idea what they have.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Could be. Or someone could have one and not even be a collector. Maybe a relative died and they ended up with a bunch of belongings from the relative.

Even then, considering the fact that this book was never sold on newsstands... this is rarity the likes of which I'll never touch in my collection, I bet.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Ah, that's makes since.
Who knows? This one copy could very well be the only one left in existence. How often do we, as comic collectors, truly, honestly deal with rarity like this. Wow!

It’s also very possible that @martymann is the only person alive today who has been actively looking for the book more or less since the day it didn’t arrive on the newsstands. It would actually be a newsworthy event for the entire industry if he and that book were to be brought together somehow.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
Quote:
Ah, that's makes since.

It’s also very possible that @martymann is the only person alive today who has been actively looking for the book more or less since the day it didn’t arrive on the newsstands. It would actually be a newsworthy event for the entire industry if he and that book were to be brought together somehow.

This is something I wanted to talk about. When a book is so rare, that very few people A) know it exists and B) care enough about it to seek it out. As we know, that’s why this book sold for so low at auction 19 years ago.

I agree with Chuck from Mike High that $1900 for a NM- copy of Stuntman #3 is incredibly low. Given the rarity of the book, $1900 is low for this Good+ copy.

What it’s “worth” today, is anybody’s guess.
Post 23 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
I think old and rare do not always equal value.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantMania
I think old and rare do not always equal value.

Don't tell my wife that, she may throw away some of my shirts and socks!

Stuntman #3 is listed by Gerber as "9" or "very rare."
There are also ZERO graded by CGC according to their census.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Also, it looks like the original owner may have had 2 copies. The address is too close, IMO, to be 2 different people - just a typo error. Who knows?

Also found the back of the book...

Post 26 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
as I sincerely have no desire to ever let it go.

So why would he even list it at all if he has no intention to ever sell it?
To show it off maybe???
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
as I sincerely have no desire to ever let it go.

So why would he even list it at all if he has no intention to ever sell it?
To show it off maybe???

Nothing brings a higher price or a bigger desire to own as something that someone thinks that they can't have.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia

Thank you for the very kind words...but I believe I will have to take pleasure in the
fact that a copy does exist and someone is happy to have it.

MARTY
Post 29 IP   flag post
Anything new about this GEM?
Post 30 IP   flag post
597876 30 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?