Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector therealtimmyp private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all! New to collecting and have decided to go with CBCS instead of CGC. It is wildly difficult to find CBCS 9.8s for the comics I like. Is this due to CBCS being newer, tougher to get 9.8s with CBCS, etc.? Also, I don't think the comics I like are too odd. Walking Dead, Southern Bastards, Descender, etc.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector DertyComix private msg quote post Address this user
No not realy i own a few 9.8 my self, i know a few of the members will say the same also. Matter fact i just got back my savage wolverine graded at 9.8 verified.
Post 2 IP   flag post
And i did just sell an amazing spider-man #4 ramos on ebay just a few days ago. That was a 9.8 also.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
They're not too odd. I will say if your wanting some 9.8 modern books it may be easier for you to try to get your own 9.8's with sending in some solid solid raws and prescreen for 9.8's. CBCS doesn't have a 25 book minimum for prescreening
Post 4 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Pedigree Comics has an auction starting tomorrow with a Walking Dead #1 graded 9.9 by CBCS (serial # 16-4019055-002). So there are a few higher grades out there.

https://www.pedigreecomics.com/images/size_fs/1480969736.jpg
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector TruckJohnson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealtimmyp
Hi all! New to collecting and have decided to go with CBCS instead of CGC. It is wildly difficult to find CBCS 9.8s for the comics I like. Is this due to CBCS being newer, tougher to get 9.8s with CBCS, etc.? Also, I don't think the comics I like are too odd. Walking Dead, Southern Bastards, Descender, etc.

You're going to miss-out on a lot of books you want if you insist on only collecting one slabbing company over the other.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I think most CBCS customers are keepers rather than flippers, as opposed to CGC which is heavily used by flippers.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector therealtimmyp private msg quote post Address this user
I definitely want to keep for my PC and not flip. Do you think a CGC 9.8 will keep its value a much as a CBCS 9.8 or should I wait.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector cseale0223 private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS is harder on grading but it it possible to 9.8 about half of my submissions come back 9.8s
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
I think most CBCS customers are keepers rather than flippers, as opposed to CGC which is heavily used by flippers.

This is a very true statement.
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I definitely want to keep for my PC and not flip. Do you think a CGC 9.8 will keep its value a much as a CBCS 9.8 or should I wait.

From what I've seen so far, CBCS has good integrity and a knack for finding every flaw on a book. I would bet CBCS holds better value over time, and the lawsuit against CGC currently doesnt help them for sure (hopefully they dont crash from it, but if they do, cbcs slabs will see a big price jump and vice versa)
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector NewComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

That must be why I see so much drek inside CBCS slabs
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:

From what I've seen so far, CBCS has good integrity and a knack for finding every flaw on a book. I would bet CBCS holds better value over time...

What do you base this opinion on?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewComics
Quote:
Quote:

From what I've seen so far, CBCS has good integrity and a knack for finding every flaw on a book. I would bet CBCS holds better value over time...

His own
Post 14 IP   flag post
If I absolutely had to have a book in a certain grade I wouldn't hesitate to go with a CGC slab, as long as it wasn't a Creep Engine slab. I would of course send it to CBCS for reslabbing though.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniofett
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

His own

He's basing his own opinion on his own opinion?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Yes, he is. What is wrong with having an opinion about a company based upon your own experience with that company?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Yes, he is. What is wrong with having an opinion about a company based upon your own experience with that company?

I was hoping that his opinion was based on some kind of tangible facts. I would love to see some concrete data on CBCS slab sales, esp vs comporable CGC slabs, over the past two years,

Next time I'll go with my gut and just ignore it
Post 18 IP   flag post
Considering the tangible hole of credibility that CGC dug itself over the past 12 months, I don't think any past sales numbers really hold a viable gauge as to what future sales will be. Being as CBCS has done nothing to harm it's own credibility, the law of averages would suggest better odds of a CBCS slab holding value over a CGC slab long term, all other variables being equal. But that's just my 2 cents.
Post 19 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

I was hoping that his opinion was based on some kind of tangible facts. I would love to see some concrete data on CBCS slab sales, esp vs comporable CGC slabs, over the past two years,

Welcome back. I'm sure your tenure will be short lived.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Quote:

Welcome back. I'm sure your tenure will be short lived.

You've been gone so long I thought it was safe. Why haven't you been hanging out with your peeps here?
Hump the button!
Post 21 IP   flag post
@newcomics I'm not gonna hold it for you while you piss, do some research instead of going with your "gut". Submit some cgc slabs and watch them come back at lower grade due to cgc missing things. Read the lawsuit against cgc. Study grading and see for yourself who is better. Research cbcs track record of owning their mistakes, being upfront and honest, and cgc of running from their mistakes. Etc etc.

The man asked for opinion, I gave it. And btw LMFAO @antoniofett's response 😂

Also, the OP asked about future. Researching comparable sales for 2 years between a relatively new company and an old one that is currently in the gutter but USED to be well respected, isnt going to get you accurate "future" speculation values.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
@newcomics I'm not gonna hold it for you while you piss, do some research instead of going with your "gut".

You're just going with your gut, why can't I? What do you base your opinions on, the weather?
Post 23 IP   flag post
I gave you a list of things in my experience that ive seen that you could research. No, I dont go with my gut.

Dont get me wrong, I WANT a 2-player system here, I WANT BOTH companies to suceed. Mostly because what we are seeing now (the current egg on cgc's face) is because they had the market cornered for so long and took advantage. A solid 2-player market keeps companies honest.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Cool.
Post 25 IP   flag post
@newcomics I might add that although absolutely hilarious, I dont think you deserved how this conversation went just for asking what I based my opinion on.

Welcome to the forum, hope to see you around more
Post 26 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
While I wish it were true, I disagree with a lot of opinion on this thread, specifically claims that CBCS slabs will hold more value than CGC over time. Truth is I think none of us will know. Time will tell, but currently that is not the case... In my personal experience, all my CBCS books went for significantly less than market value, or CGC previous ebay sales by comparison. I'm not bitter about it, just disappointed I didn't get the sales I expected. That, and I ended up giving away some books and even going in the red on several. High profits on other books soften the blow but lesson learned. Take heed. Only experience, not opinion.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
I second with @kaptainmyke The last six months all the CBCS books I purchased sold for at a minimum of $50-$75 less per their CGC counterparts. I do have to say that the CBCS graded books, especially the 9.8's / 9.6's look incredibly better than the CGC 9.8's / 9.6's

People stay with what's familiar too them. For the time being CGC is what's familiar and that's where the higher prices currently sit...
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattness
I second with @kaptainmyke The last six months all the CBCS books I purchased sold for at a minimum of $50-$75 less per their CGC counterparts. I do have to say that the CBCS graded books, especially the 9.8's / 9.6's look incredibly better than the CGC 9.8's / 9.6's

People stay with what's familiar too them. For the time being CGC is what's familiar and that's where the higher prices currently sit...

I'm a collector and rarely ever sell. It's even more rare for me to "flip" a book. I'm ok with what you said ;-)
Post 29 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke @mattness

I agree with that, the prices (especially moderns) seem to be a bit lower for sure.

However I do stick to my speculation that over time the scales will tip.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601536 31 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?