Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden AgeComics Restoration and ConservationFor SaleRaw Comics For Sale

Roughly 1000 golden age books, most of them coverless, for sale or trade.18073

Collector agamoto private msg quote post Address this user
ALL of them, not piecemeal.

It's about 7 short boxes worth of books that I've collected over the years. My plan was to eventually get around to marrying covers and conserving them, but I have too many comics, it's taking up WAY too much of my time, and even more of my space. I can either keep them and eventually marry them off, or I can keep my marriage to my wife. One or the other... It's a tough call.

Some key highlights!

747 are cataloged, the remainder are a couple of short boxes of Western/Cartoon/Romance books I haven't bothered to even look at, but given the period all these books come from, I'm sure there will be a few decent books in that batch too.

- The oldest is Comics on Parade #1 Apr/1938
- The newest is Climax #1, Jul/1955

Distribution of books, by year:

- 70 different publishers, here are the top 10 and the # of issues each:

- Distribution of Gerber Scarcity Index Scores:

The two 9's and the 8 are Suspense Comics #3, Jumbo Comics #31 and Space Kat-ets 3D #1

- The most valuable coverless issue in the collection is likely Whiz Comics #2(#1), first appearance of Captain Marvel. Missing cover and 1st 2 wraps. Suspense Comics #3 might be up there too. As would All-Star #8

- The most valuable complete issue (Both covers, complete interior) is likely Detective Comics #37. It is a very good candidate for full restoration.

- There are 47 comics which are the "#1" issue, including Comics on Parade, Big Shot Comics, Bulletman, Joe Palooka, Captain Fearless, Scoop Comics, Atomic Thunderbolt, All Winners Comics, Sun Girl, Crime Exposed, Archie's Girls Betty & Veronica, Captain Science, Captain Video, Strange Mysteries, Mask of Dr. Fu Manchu, Young Brides, Tales of Terror, War Dogs of the USA and many more.

- 30 comics are the "#2" issue, including: Ginger, Mister Universe, Strange Adventures, Mad, Horrific, Masked Marvel, Mystery Men Comics, Wings Comics, Classic Comics, Police Comics, Air Fighters Comics, Whiz #2 and more.

- 34 comics are "#3", including: Batman, Fantastic Comics, Jungle Comics, Hit Comics, Police Comics, War Comics, Green Llama, Suspense Comics, Ghost Rider, Mister Mystery, Voodoo, Weird Terror and many more.

- 715 comics have no cover, 19 have front and back cover, 8 have only the back cover, 2 have only the front cover and 3 are remainder copies with partial front cover and full back cover.

- 541 of the 748 have complete interiors with all pages accounted for, what CBCS would consider a 0.3

Page Quality varies. Generally speaking, the spreadsheet has more details on condition, book by book. The newer stuff from 1945 on is quite good.

In terms of value, that's a real tough one. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as is the value. I asked my Heritage Rep, Aaron White a few months ago about what he figured they could get for just the Whiz #2, Detective #37, #168, Batman #3. He told me they'd have to be inside an NG grade CGC or .1/.3 CBCS case, but he estimated a low of $10,000 and a high of $20,000 for just those 4 books alone.

Just a sampling of some of the books by Publisher:

DC:
Adventure Comics 61, 1st Starman
All-Star Comics 8, 1st Wonder Woman
Batman 3, First Catwoman in Costume
Comic Cavalcade 1
Detective Comics 37, 2 x 46, 49, 81, 84, 168
Flash 5, 9
Green Lantern 10

Marvel:
Blonde Phantom 15, 16
Marvel Mystery 19, 71, 87
Men in Action 2
Strange Tales 4, 16, 35
Sun Girl 1
Mystic 8,13,14,16,17
USA Comics 11
War Comics 3

Fawcett:
Whiz 2(1)
Bulletman 1
Spy Smasher 3
Beware Terror Tales 1
Master Comics 13

Quality:
Police Comics 2, 3, 5, 7
Smash Comics 6
Plastic Man 8
Hit Comics 3, 8
Military Comics 12
and more.

Here's a link to a spreadsheet of the stuff I've got inventoried.

Microsoft Onedrive Shared File

Looking forward to some discussion!
Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Gotta say you are one organized person. My stuff is utter chaos in comparison.

Good luck with sale / trade
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte

Thanks, Bronte. Lol, ask my wife if I'm organized, she'll tell you how I'm organizing my way into a divorce if I don't get rid of some boxes!!
Post 3 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@agamoto I'm looking for a more fun 55 centerfold, any chance of that or do you know anyone with it
Post 4 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Also a centerfold or coverless for a whiz 19
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector silveragecomicsuk private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by agamoto
Quote:

Thanks, Bronte. Lol, ask my wife if I'm organized, she'll tell you how I'm organizing my way into a divorce if I don't get rid of some boxes!!

Fantastic way to present your list. I’m interested in the top 4. Dm me.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Bobashek private msg quote post Address this user
I’m interested in the GA Batman and Detectives.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
I'm interested in the Romance!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Caffeine_Kid private msg quote post Address this user
Removed. Was posted under wrong topic.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66
@agamoto I'm looking for a more fun 55 centerfold, any chance of that or do you know anyone with it

There's a spreadsheet linked to the original message, More Fun 55 isn't on it, sorry.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by silveragecomicsuk
Quote:
Quote:

Not sure if I follow you, top 4 what? Top 4 on the scarcity index? I'm looking to move all of these, in one go, not piecemeal.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobashek

Hey, I don't blame ya. The plan isn't to sell these off individually though. If no one bites, I'm just going to drop all the boxes off at heritage in Beverly Hills and let them deal with getting them graded and sold off.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not sure if I follow you, top 4 what? Top 4 on the scarcity index? I'm looking to move all of these, in one go, not piecemeal.

Interested in these if you do choose to split Detective #37, #168, Batman #3

Lovely collection.
Post 13 IP   flag post
What kind of price are we talking for everything a number would really help
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
Let me know if you have a coverless Detective Comics #107?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobashek

Hey, I don't blame ya. The plan isn't to sell these off individually though. If no one bites, I'm just going to drop all the boxes off at heritage in Beverly Hills and let them deal with getting them graded and sold off.

Please message me with how much you’re looking for everything I’m very seriously interested.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
What kind of price are we talking for everything a number would really help

That's the tricky part, I have no idea as values for coverless/incomplete books can be all over the place and no one really tracks values under 0.5 grade. Aaron at Heritage estimated $10K to $20K based on the description I gave him of Whiz 2, Batman 3, Detective 37 and 168. That was a few months ago though, so who knows now that the market has downturned.

Throw rare books like Suspense Comics #3, Jumbo #31, and books like All-Star #8, Adventure 61, All Winners 1, and all those pre-code horror books into the mix, I don't know what comes out the other end. Maybe I should tally up all the 0.5 values I can muster and figure something out based on that... Ugh, so many books to look up!
Post 17 IP   flag post
I’ve sent you a message. Let’s go from there. Don’t want to waste your time.
Post 18 IP   flag post
598060 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?