Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedSignatures

Signature Failure What does it mean?18065

Collector circuitryusa private msg quote post Address this user
@MrESauce When by chance did you submit, and what/how were you contacted about the failure, and did you do pressing? (sorry for so many questions)

I submitted several Gaiman sigs (some with George Pratt), also from 1991, in my November and December submissions (I never thought to take photos of all of them like an idiot).
All my submissions now show they are in pressing, so I am led to believe they "passed" VSP... but not sure. I contacted Customer Service some time ago and they claim VSP is before pressing.
I did check the box that says "do not encapsulate if VSP fails", but I am hoping they do not wait 1-2 years for pressing, then to say "VSP Failed" and I get them back with just a press ... That is why I am hoping you can provide more details about your sub and contact of failure.

My other Gaiman submissions from my recollection all appear (from my memory) to look very similar to those two pics I have here... his remarque on the eyes you have and silver ink pen is classic Gaiman... he always does that on the cover signatures (so to me, that is a genuine Gaiman sig). One of mine now in pressing is Sandman #10 (first Corinthian) where he remarqued teeth on the eyes, so I sure hope that passed!! (~~nervous~~)

Post 26 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Kind of the problem with COAS, they mean precisely no more than toilet paper.... When it comes down to it

Technically true but emotionally there is a difference. I also think that the general markets willingness to put faith in a COA is inverse to the value of the book, or rather the value that the signature adds to the book.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
Kind of the problem with COAS, they mean precisely no more than toilet paper.... When it comes down to it

Technically true but emotionally there is a difference. I also think that the general markets willingness to put faith in a COA is inverse to the value of the book, or rather the value that the signature adds to the book.
Emotionally there is only a difference if you think they are worth something....otherwise its just glorfied charmin. Seen way too many high end autographs with this or that COA that was utterly trash and the signature was not real. The general markets willingness to accept coas and give them respect is born out of mostly ignorance of what a COA actually means or leaves as legal protection. Most times by the time a COA is challenged, the issuer is either gone, the company has dissolved, or the issuer has changed names and is running another scam
Post 28 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@Davethebrave

Actually it sux all the way around. What do you do with books that don't pass? Unless it's for personal collection you are toast. The only thing to do is take advantage of a sucker by submitting to EGS....

Well, if I paid $150 (or something around market for unsigned book) and fully believed the sigs are real (reputable person telling me plus COA etc) and I am keeping the book as a fan, I’m still happy (enough).

If I paid more than market for unsigned (on basis it was signed) and/or want to flip it, I’m sad.
Post 29 IP   flag post
My secondary moves would be basic enough....if I was unshakeable in the premise they are real. (Which honestly buying second hand from anyone, I am seldom, far as signatures)Contact the allegeded signers via social media for their take....couldnt hurt. If I truly want authentication and am just sure its clean I might try JSA for a verification or PSA.If they fail it as well, you pretty well know what brand the spinach is in the can
Post 30 IP   flag post

The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Davethebrave

I see your point, but in my view the books value just dropped because now there are signatures on tbe cover that can't be verified. As I mentioned if it's for personal collection and you are okay with it, that's cool. But from a financial perspective, I can't see any way of winning or even breaking even.
Post 31 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Totally agree. But getting signed books (if someone is a fan) for market price of unsigned is not a bad spot to be in.

It happens. I have signed items I personally know are legit but may be unverifiable.

I think some of this goes to intrinsic value of the item to the owner vs some market value. So long as I pay less than the value to me, personally, great.

If reselling and I paid no premium for the signature I also expect limited downside.

Quote:
@Davethebrave

I see your point, but in my view the books value just dropped because now there are signatures on tbe cover that can't be verified. As I mentioned if it's for personal collection and you are okay with it, that's cool. But from a financial perspective, I can't see any way of winning or even breaking even.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Davethebrave

That’s really the gamble of buying unverified signatures. When they pass you are ahead, when they fail you are below break even typically. And there’s never a guarantee that someone hasn’t already put it through the verification process. As time goes on, it will become more and more likely that signatures found in the wild have already been attempted to verify.
Post 33 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
In looking at EBay curently, I see 3 signed Gaiman Sandman #1's with Qualified Green CGC labels.

To this day, I do not comprehend why on earth, these CGC die-hard kooks submit to CGC only KNOWING full well it will get a Green label, when there is a possibility/likelihood of getting yellow label with CBCS.
Maybe Gaiman is a bad example because he is a big name, and they actually are forgeries; thus the choice to submit to CGC. (knowing it will likely not pass BAS)

But I see this all the time even with regular run-of-the-mill artists whose autographs don't really increase the value of the book. They still submit to CGC knowing the Green label is coming. I just don't understand the tunnel vision these individuals have with CGC that prevents them from submitting to CBCS for the VSP.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@Nuffsaid111 it's probably the same reason I never asked my high school crush out on a date ... fear of rejection. Sometimes it's easier to stick with what (or who) you are familiar and comfortable with, than it is to step out of that comfort zone.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
In looking at EBay curently, I see 3 signed Gaiman Sandman #1's with Qualified Green CGC labels.

To this day, I do not comprehend why on earth, these CGC die-hard kooks submit to CGC only KNOWING full well it will get a Green label, when there is a possibility/likelihood of getting yellow label with CBCS.
Maybe Gaiman is a bad example because he is a big name, and they actually are forgeries; thus the choice to submit to CGC. (knowing it will likely not pass BAS)

But I see this all the time even with regular run-of-the-mill artists whose autographs don't really increase the value of the book. They still submit to CGC knowing the Green label is coming. I just don't understand the tunnel vision these individuals have with CGC that prevents them from submitting to CBCS for the VSP.

@Nuffsaid111 In some cases I would imagine they did submit to CBCS first or at least used the BAS pre-screen tool before settling for the green label.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Actually - COAs are useful is one way. They do give some indication as to the approx period where the sigs allegedly are from. So does help to trace others sigs from same period
Post 37 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Gaiman Sandman #1

Ive got a few Todd the Ugliest Kid #1 signed by Kristensen that I submitted to CGC years back with full knowledge it would get a green lable.

At the time, no one would authenticate and grade a slab a signed book. This was the method i used back then.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:

Actually - COAs are useful is one way. They do give some indication as to the approx period where the sigs allegedly are from. So does help to trace others sigs from same period
that would only apply if the carry a signed on this date, line in the document. Many dont, they are just blank papers that a dealer fills out when he sells something with no context when, where or why.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:

that would only apply if the carry a signed on this date, line in the document. Many dont, they are just blank papers that a dealer fills out when he sells something with no context when, where or why.

well - this one do
Post 40 IP   flag post
601196 40 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?