Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeGrading Help Needed

TMNT #7 - potential grade?18061

Collector IowaDad81 private msg quote post Address this user
I have this copy of TMNT #7 that was given to me by a former coworker because I have a Michelangelo tattoo on my arm. It has some connected pages. Anyone wanna give a possible grade? Lots of pics in the Imgur gallery below.

Imgur gallery
Post 1 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Ouch!! I would think pretty far down the list on grade -it's one thing if it's a common defect like on ASM 361 or even a rare desirable defect like Spawn #1 but that is a rare non-desirable error

Would have to be below 5?? (total guess!!)
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector IowaDad81 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Ouch!! I would think pretty far down the list on grade -it's one thing if it's a common defect like on ASM 361 or even a rare desirable defect like Spawn #1 but that is a rare non-desirable error

I thought production errors didn't count against the grade?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Bummer about that defect! Otherwise the book doesn't look too bad. It does show that there are defects that are desirable and defects that aren't. Sometimes it's tough to tell which is which. One rule of thumb is that if something was recalled any copies that survived the recall will be collectible. Also, anything that doesn't render the book difficult or impossible to read might be desirable, particularly if it's unusual. Your TMNT has married pages, and that makes it tough to read. I have some books with double covers (and one triple), but those are very collectible because they're very rare and you can still read the book.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
wow this brings back memories. had TWO of the monochrome green #1, sold them both 20 years ago.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
This type of production defect is called Siamese pages (which is probably not PC today), and is usually noted on the label of the slab. Married pages is not a printing defect and occurs when pages from one book are put in as replacements in another book. For example, you might see a Hulk #181 with married pages where someone swapped out the pages with the Marvel Value Stamp missing for ones that were intact. And missing centerfolds are often replaced with married pages (Batman #181 comes to mind). This is also done with covers to make a coverless copy complete. Since Siamese pages are a printing defect, they probably wouldn’t hurt the grade much, if at all, but could keep an otherwise near perfect book from achieving a 9.8 or higher grade.

PS - Do not cut or tear apart the attached pages.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
This type of production defect is called Siamese pages (which is probably not PC today), and is usually noted on the label of the slab. Married pages is not a printing defect and occurs when pages from one book are put in as replacements in another book. For example, you might see a Hulk #181 with married pages where someone swapped out the pages with the Marvel Value Stamp missing for ones that were intact. And missing centerfolds are often replaced with married pages (Batman #181 comes to mind). This is also done with covers to make a coverless copy complete. Since Siamese pages are a printing defect, they probably wouldn’t hurt the grade much, if at all, but could keep an otherwise near perfect book from achieving a 9.8 or higher grade.

PS - Do not cut or tear apart the attached pages.

Thanks for correcting my terminology. I'd heard both terms used to describe the printing defect and I already knew that 'married pages/cover' was a Frankensteined book made up of bits from multiple books. I wasn't sure whether 'Siamese pages' was still in use, though, and opted for the alternative. Oops!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe they would prefer to be called conjoined pages?😉
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Book looks like a Quote:

You're way off on the estimated grade and the desirability of siamese pages among manufacturing error collectors.

Based on what I can see here, it looks about a 9.4 Qualified Label from CGC.

My guess from CBCS would be about the same grade but in a 9.4 blue holder with the manufacturing error notated on the slab's label notes.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
@ComicHoarder really!!?? shocking - I had no idea there were those who desired 'conjoined' pages (using the new PC term!!!)
Probably my own bias sneaking in - I would pass that type of book over all day long - raw or graded
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@ComicHoarder really!!?? shocking - I had no idea there were those who desired 'conjoined' pages (using the new PC term!!!)
Probably my own bias sneaking in - I would pass that type of book over all day long - raw or graded

All good, my man.

Error collectors are an eclectic bunch but for people who chase after rare comics, error books are legitimately rare.

I'd suggest you and @IowaDad81 check out the thread on the CGC forums "celebrating the manusacturing errors" via copy/paste this search string into a Google search...and click on a couple other top results on that first page for related threads:

cgc forums celebrate the manufacturing errors

After that, I'd suggest @IowaDad81 sub this error book to Joe at CFPComics for a press....it looks like a cherry book and imo, should be pressed and than slabbed by either CBCS or CGC.

https://cfpcomics.com/
Post 11 IP   flag post
@ComicHoarder
As an 'error collector' myself, I love some of that stuff. 'Conjoined' pages (LOL!) are not my thing, but I look for double covers and colour errors the like.

I agree that the book deserves to get verified & slabbed if that's what @IowaDad81 wants. It won't be a 9.8 but if that's not the goal, then go for it!
Post 12 IP   flag post
598012 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?