CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Ask questions here without starting a new thread 2022 part 218057

" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
You could opt for the plastic corrugated short boxes. I love mine. Never decay. They don't attract silverfish or any other bugs. Semi water-resistant....

I should look at that. My wife wants me to do something that presents better than the regular boxes. Any suggestions?

I have some of the plastic corrugated boxes and while I like them, they remain in an “enclosed” space. Not sure they are all that different aesthetically from cardboard. If you were storing small quantities I’d have more options, but for large quantities at reasonable price something similar to this may work. We have some fabric covered boxes for clothes. Some are sturdy with stiff sides, some aren’t. May be worth researching similar (or buying and trying one before purchasing to replace).

Comic Book Storage, Comic Book Box, 15.8" X 7.8" X 11.8", Collapsible Comic Short Box, Holds 160-180 Comic Book (2021 Gray) https://a.co/d/3lCo5lY
Post 801 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
After looking at all the options I went with the same old cardboard boxes that I've been using for 40 years. I can write on them. They breakdown easy and degrade over time. I can burn them if the power goes out this winter.
Post 802 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Not really a question, more venting....

So I recently sent a book to CCS to have restoration removed. During the removal process they have to do a screen to see if it's viable. The screen said it was viable and could benefit from a press. The book was then deemed NOT press worthy after restoration removal. And the graders notes say "heavy finger bends". After some discussion with CGC the rep refunded me the cost of express pressing.

At this point, there is nothing I can really do. The book isn't worth expediting a second time through the economy grading. And if they had just did the press when asked or stayed condistent with whether it could be pressed I wouldn't feel so shafted.
Post 803 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte
I'm so sorry that happened! What a disappointment. They should refund more than just the cost of a pressing they claim is no longer worthwhile. The reason we request and pay for pre-screening is to avoid exactly this scenario. IMHO they should grade it for you, too.
Post 804 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte I can only presume maybe the press wouldn't bump the grade higher so that's the reason they said a press isn't viable?

Of course the person making that decision is the only one the knows.
Post 805 IP   flag post

The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
The pre-screen was primsrily for the restoration, but in the notes they stated that it could benefit from a press in addition to removal of restoration.

Yeah, I hate dealing with CCS, they have gone downhill in my opinion, if it wasn't for the fact that they were doing restoration removal or a signjng I would never send them a press job.
Post 806 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Yeah, I hate dealing with CCS, they have gone downhill in my opinion, if it wasn't for the fact that they were doing restoration removal or a signjng I would never send them a press job.

It's not just your opinion, trust me! I'm with you; the only time I use them is for an in-house signing. I'd consider them for restoration removal, too, but I'm done sending them books just for a press/grade.
Post 807 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I would pay for restoration removal and then ask them to send it back. Look at it in hand and then send it to a third party presser forwarded on to the grading company of your choice.
Post 808 IP   flag post
@DrWatson

I thought about that but what if they didn't get all the restoration removed? As sad as it is, I am not a grader and I sure as heck can't spot restoration. My only viable choice was to have them grade it. And even that wasn't straight forward. In an email before being sent to cgc they stated that ccs couldn't do anything. When I asked if they meant restoration or pressing, all I got was crickets. I literally called and was told someone would call me back. Obviously that never happened.

Edit

The restoration was tear seals. No idea what that even is.
Post 809 IP   flag post
Tear seals is just what it says. Tears in the cover that have been sealed.
Post 810 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Feel free to delete this.... It seems like the restoration may have stressed the shit out of the book? After it survived said stress it couldn't make it thru a press?
Post 811 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Deleted in a short time since posting. (See previous discussion in OM’s about length on time post left up).
Post 812 IP   flag post
IBTL
Post 813 IP   flag post
Also, feel free to delete this. Going by @Towmater's example... If the restoration removed was a heat seal? Does the pick on the right not look more perusable than the one on the left?? All theories people.
Post 814 IP   flag post
Post 815 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
See above post I made about deletion.
Post 816 IP   flag post
We went for maybe a month with no suspensions but recently it's been a suspension frenzy. Let's not add to it. The blood's in the water...
Post 817 IP   flag post
Please just sanitize. I really like having a thread that doesn't clutter the forum with my mindless posts.....
Post 818 IP   flag post
Jeez, really? Worried about information because of "rules"?
Post 819 IP   flag post
@HeinzDad

We are guests in someone else's home. We have to abide by their rules even if we dont agree on them 100% of the time.

The alternative is to create a forum with my rules and I'm not capable nor would I want to go through that....
Post 820 IP   flag post
yeah, yeah. I comply, I'll quit.
Post 821 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Did someone say rules?
Post 822 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
...I can burn them if the power goes out this winter.

@EbayMafia,
You mean the boxes right...?
Post 823 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
Quote:
After looking at all the options I went with the same old cardboard boxes that I've been using for 40 years. I can write on them. They breakdown easy and degrade over time. I can burn them if the power goes out this winter.

@EbayMafia,

If you leave the books in then they burn for longer, and the older the books are, the more pleasant the aroma.
Post 824 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
Quote:

@EbayMafia,

If you leave the books in then they burn for longer, and the older the books are, the more pleasant the aroma.

when you put it that way...
Post 825 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
New question:

For slabbed graded books that are sketched and colored, why do the labels only say “sketch”. And not “sketch and colored”? They seem to omit the “colored” aspect, even though it’s a very important (and value added) detail of the authentication.
Post 826 IP   flag post
I know sometimes sketches get lost in cover, but if you can find the sketch I would imagine it's obvious if it's in color or not.
Post 827 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007
New question:

For slabbed graded books that are sketched and colored, why do the labels only say “sketch”. And not “sketch and colored”? They seem to omit the “colored” aspect, even though it’s a very important (and value added) detail of the authentication.

They used to note who colored it.

Post 828 IP   flag post
If the artist drew it and colored it both, then they might only note them once.

Post 829 IP   flag post
@DrWatson
That Galactus cover is EPIC.
Post 830 IP   flag post
601502 999 30