Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Ask questions here without starting a new thread 2022 part 218057

" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Vast majority of old books have foxing. Majority don’t continue to degrade severely once in a stable climate/environment. Usually not caused by active mold (or necessarily caused by mold at all). Oxidation of impurities in the paper.

I’ll generally take a golden age rare book with the patina of foxing over some high grade mass market book.

Some get uppity but a grade is a grade. I’d also prefer a book at equal grade with some foxing patina over tears, big creases, etc.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@Davethebrave
Agreed. Foxing is just a fact of life with the older books. I count myself lucky when I have books where it's confined to the interior and/or back cover.
Post 27 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@DrWatson
Who is crazy enough to crack open a 9.6 ? But I think it's in the grading notes.

Me. You. And a bazillion other comic book collectors.
Post 28 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson
True
I've done worse and prolly will continue to do so
Post 29 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
So the manager at McDonald's Saud she would put aside 3 toys that arrived in shipment today. I just got there and nobody put anything aside. Told the lady I wanted 3 anyways, she handed them to me and told me don't sweat it. 3 Mantis fir free.....
Post 30 IP   flag post

Nothing like a well aged adult male demanding free toys from Ronald McDonald.
Post 31 IP   flag post
I didn't demand free toys. I literally asked her," don't I have to pay for these?" And she said don't worry about it. This was the manager. What was I supposed to do, complain that free is not good and I demand to pay full price?

Trust me I'm not a Karen or a Ken by any stretch. I didn't pitch a fit.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
@Element_Lad
I like your question, but discussing pressing/cleaning techniques on the forum is a big no-no. Take care.

STILL?
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector Sebastsk8 private msg quote post Address this user
So with all of the release news, obviously some books skyrocketed in price within a few hours even. Some you can't even find any on ebay. What are some books you think may also be affected but people haven't picked up on yet?

I'm shooting for asm 88 and 93. First goblin queen and chasm. The release for the upcoming marvel crossover event states they have huge plans for chasm, and the entire event is focused around the goblin queen. Prices haven't been affected much, can still grab a 9.8 for 50 or so.
Post 34 IP   flag post
@Sebastsk8

I picked up a few copies of this a while ago ....

Post 35 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte
Yup. I grabbed one of those and I may already have another, but I'm not positive. Hence the grabbing.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

I picked this book up years ago when it first came out.

And this one but I don't have it in my modern folder on my phone for some reason

And they reprinted this issue as it was a civil war crossover and didn't have it on the cover.

And this book because I just liked the cover at the time it came out

What would really be great is Namora sometime joining the MCU
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
I didn't demand free toys. I literally asked her," don't I have to pay for these?" And she said don't worry about it. This was the manager. What was I supposed to do, complain that free is not good and I demand to pay full price?

Trust me I'm not a Karen or a Ken by any stretch. I didn't pitch a fit.

I'm just having fun at your expense. The mental picture made me smile.
Post 38 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
is anyone setting up at NYCC or know someone who is? I'm interested in potentially renting just a small section of a table to show 12-15 big foreign grails. if this is a possibility with you, let me know, thanks!
Post 39 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Has the option to change the header theme on the MCS site always been there?

Post 40 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O

For many years. My experience anyway.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:

Yes.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Foxing. The term 'foxing' describes disfiguring small yellow brown spots or blotches on paper. Two main causes are mould and iron contaminants in the paper. Moulds feed on the paper itself, as well as any dirt or organic material on it, for example, finger marks, food stains and squashed insects.

Foxing
I was going to say I thought it was oxidation of metals in the paper. It makes sense for older books due to quality of materials used for cheap entertainment.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

at least in the past few years since I’ve been using them.
Post 44 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Is anyone besides @wmorse aware of this? Or maybe the better question is, am I the only one that wasn't aware of this?

Post 45 IP   flag post
I had no idea
Post 46 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Aware but unaware of why aware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Is anyone besides @wmorse aware of this? Or maybe the better question is, am I the only one that wasn't aware of this?

Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:

I think someone posted it here before. It's odd how inspired and copied seem to be synonymous.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:

I think someone posted it here before. It's odd how inspired and copied seem to be synonymous.

a little while ago - was quite interesting to watch....the setup to force the permanent smile kind of seemed like torture!!
Post 49 IP   flag post
Why would trade dress sell out before virgin? I dont think I've ever seen this happen on any title or variant ever....

Post 50 IP   flag post
Quote:
Why would trade dress sell out before virgin? I dont think I've ever seen this happen on any title or variant ever....

because Trade Dress is better
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Whammykablam private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I had no idea that was out, thank you for bringing it to my attention. I managed to get a signed virgin.
Post 52 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

https://screenrant.com/hulk-joker-victor-hugo-weird-connection/
Post 53 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:

virgins are over rated??
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:

virgins are over rated??

Unless you're a pagan sacrifice.
Post 55 IP   flag post
600892 999 30