CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Ask questions here without starting a new thread 2022 part 218057

Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
UK sweets/chocolates tend to be different too. Canada vs US preferences in chocolate and variety of chip flavors are also very different (British influence in the former).

Dave, I grew-up in former UK territories among many US states. Kind of bouncing back and forth between them. My family still holds residences in several. For example we have homes in Northern Ireland, and in Camberley, Surrey, and a flat in Singapore. My immediate family and I will be heading back to Singapore next summer. I only started living full time in the USA when I turned 18 and that really didn’t last long. I was deployed to various places after that for years. I decided I had enough and stabilized in a certain state long enough to get my pension in law enforcement. So, I’m aware of the different culinary tastes that the British enjoy compared to peoples’s tastes in other localities.

You could probably make a small killing by retning out the Flat in singapore. The rental market there has gone insane
Post 326 IP   flag post

Post 327 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@poka wow!
Post 328 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Godzilla swimming in Kowloon Bay?

Post 329 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMorse

Oh please, oh please. The Godzilla fan in me would be so over the moon.
Post 330 IP   flag post

being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMorse

Oh please, oh please. The Godzilla fan in me would be so over the moon.

Post 331 IP   flag post
I Godzilla!
Post 332 IP   flag post
Has Godzilla awakened?
Post 333 IP   flag post
Godzilla has, indeed, awakened. Will atomic breath clear out the sinuses? Let's find out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8qmkEKFsCw

If atomic breath doesn't work, I have some salsa that will.
Post 334 IP   flag post
@GAC @WMorse lol. That could be fun. Typhoon approaching. We always get the red Sunrise just beforehand
Post 335 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:
UK sweets/chocolates tend to be different too. Canada vs US preferences in chocolate and variety of chip flavors are also very different (British influence in the former).

The trust wasn’t set up for that or with that in mind.

Dave, I grew-up in former UK territories among many US states. Kind of bouncing back and forth between them. My family still holds residences in several. For example we have homes in Northern Ireland, and in Camberley, Surrey, and a flat in Singapore. My immediate family and I will be heading back to Singapore next summer. I only started living full time in the USA when I turned 18 and that really didn’t last long. I was deployed to various places after that for years. I decided I had enough and stabilized in a certain state long enough to get my pension in law enforcement. So, I’m aware of the different culinary tastes that the British enjoy compared to peoples’s tastes in other localities.

You could probably make a small killing by retning out the Flat in singapore. The rental market there has gone insane
Post 336 IP   flag post
Collector Element_Lad private msg quote post Address this user
So I sent a couple of emails to Customer Service to correct mistakes on some books I submitted at FAN EXPO Boston. Misspelled artist names that were witnessed, insurance missing, etc. I used to get an email with a case number afterwards to show both receipt of the email and to reference if I had further issues. I have not received any of these emails since the move to Plano. Has this function been discontinued? I worry because this was an issue last year when emails were not being responded to. Anyone else having this issue?
Post 337 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@Davethebrave
I kind of tailgate. My reason is that I HATE people who just glide in at the last minute without turn signal and make me brake really hard to avoid accident.

People in Florida are down right rude when driving. If you see signs that the lane is closing you move over as soon as you see the signs. You don't use the empty lane as a means to skip folks and squeeze in at the last minute.

Nothing to do with rudeness - it is the proper and most efficient way to merge lanes. Europe have done this for a very long time. In Germany especially - it is the rule to do so

But think something USA is still not yet ready for

There are so many articles on this topic. Just google “zipper merge”
Post 338 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@poka

I understand if the traffic flows and it doesn't call for you to brake especially if you are merging from a lane that is ending. but if someone jerks into your lane and slams the brakes causing you to brake hard that is not what I consider normal.

Put in another context. In America driving school suggests a 3-5 second following rule. Essentially you count 3 to 5 long seconds between a solid construct like a sign or marker. If you cover that distance faster then you are tailgating and deserve to be in an accident. When someone cuts in front of you. The time is generally less than 2 seconds with imminent impact if you don't hit the brakes as soon as he tries to scoot over. That to me is not normal. But that's how Florida folks drive
Post 339 IP   flag post
Quote:
@poka

I understand if the traffic flows and it doesn't call for you to brake especially if you are merging from a lane that is ending. but if someone jerks into your lane and slams the brakes causing you to brake hard that is not what I consider normal.

Put in another context. In America driving school suggests a 3-5 second following rule. Essentially you count 3 to 5 long seconds between a solid construct like a sign or marker. If you cover that distance faster then you are tailgating and deserve to be in an accident. When someone cuts in front of you. The time is generally less than 2 seconds with imminent impact if you don't hit the brakes as soon as he tries to scoot over. That to me is not normal. But that's how Florida folks drive

I was referring the merging lanes when a lane closes. In that case if someone has a need to break - that means the person is riding too fast taking the traffic conditions into account.

If we are talking - non-closing lane situations - then yes agreed - although think 3-5 seconds rule will rarely be applied. Just too big a gap. At 60 MpH that would translate to a gap of 300 feet (if I got my math right)
Post 340 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I might be off in terms of recollection of how many seconds but there is some sort of count they make you do in school on the driving test. I took mine in 1992 so I don't recall entirely.
Post 341 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I always thought it is odd how long it takes a line of cars to move when a light turns green. Seems to me that everybody should start slowly moving forward at the same time. But we don't do that, we go one car at a time.
Post 342 IP   flag post
Quote:
I might be off in terms of recollection of how many seconds but there is some sort of count they make you do in school on the driving test. I took mine in 1992 so I don't recall entirely.

You spring chicken. Took my test in 1982. Believe me, I don't remember squat.
Post 343 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
@poka

I was referring the merging lanes when a lane closes. In that case if someone has a need to break - that means the person is riding too fast taking the traffic conditions into account.

If we are talking - non-closing lane situations - then yes agreed - although think 3-5 seconds rule will rarely be applied. Just too big a gap. At 60 MpH that would translate to a gap of 300 feet (if I got my math right)

If someone needs to break based on their driving, they should pull over in a rest stop and take a nap.

The reality of -inappropriate- zipper merging is the intentional avoidance of earlier efficient merging. For example, there is a clear and safe opportunity to merge at traffic flow and you choose not to in order to get an advantageous position.

Of course the expert opinions on zipper merge benefits analyze as though US traffic behavior is otherwise similar to Germany (it isn’t). In Germany, strict adherence to road rules is common. In the US… not so much. When merging (and the logical basis for zipper move advocates) the through lane has right of way. The merging lane should technically wait for the opportunity to enter, including during a zipper merge. This is why advocates cite “less lane speed differential” as a key benefit.

Reality in most jurisdictions is that the merging lane will tend to cut in aggressively at the merge point. This results in a BIGGER speed differential as evidenced by cars zooming past to aggressively assert the lane change at the merge point.

You can’t pick and choose attributes when assessing the right option.

As for following distance/time, Bronte is correct. Btw, most car/driver combos have -braking- distances plus reaction times that will be around 300ft. It means if the car ahead makes a swerve maneuver to avoid an object OR hits a fixed object, someone under the 3 second following rule will not be able to safely respond.
Post 344 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
I always thought it is odd how long it takes a line of cars to move when a light turns green. Seems to me that everybody should start slowly moving forward at the same time. But we don't do that, we go one car at a time.

If everyone looked at the same reference point (the light) you’d get something closer to this, though a delay is expected (compounded by reaction time).

First, many drivers pay attention solely to the bumper / car ahead as a cue, if paying attention at all. This jacks everything up of course.

Second, each driver has a reaction delay. The first in line to the signal change. All other drivers (ideally seeing the signal cue to verify) have to react both to the signal change but also the response of the vehicle in front. So even in a near ideal state, there is a compounding reaction time issue as drivers look to verify they can move forward.

The ideal state (but not practical due to uneven skill / reality) is what you see (more/less) in racing where everyone mostly responds to the same cue. They have the benefit of virtually identical skill and reaction times (and 100% attention). They pretty much will zoom ahead in tandem, depending on how tight the grouping is. So it is possible… maybe it happens more frequently in Monaco?
Post 345 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
As a certified traffic accident reconstructionist, with multiple certifications, the reaction time most often used when rebuilding a crash is 1.5 seconds. Please remember, it may be longer or shorter depending on what the various factors involved in the events leading up to the crash. While the average reaction time in a human is 0.7 seconds, that only applies when you know an event is going to occur or you are anticipating it, and know exactly what action you need to choose to avoid it. In the real world, that isn’t a “normal” occurrence so more time is built into a reconstruction to compensate for for this. So, at 55 mph this means that a vehicle will travel 1.5 x 80.67 or 120.9 feet before the brakes are even applied. Then the brake engagement distance, and finally the physical force distance would need to be factored to give us the vehicle response time. I’m not going to go into those as I don’t want to further glaze over peoples’ eyeballs.

I wrote all the above to illustrate the following, when working traffic and viewing vehicles from an overpass and counting the distance in between them to gauge if the vehicle following is tailgating, more often than not, we would use the one second rule for every 10 miles of speed. So, if you’re going 70 miles an hour then you should have seven seconds of distance between the lead vehicle and the car that’s following it for safety. I wouldn’t stroke at a ticket if someone was following at six seconds but for someone that’s following at two seconds or three seconds I would definitely have probable cause to pull the vehicle that was following over. I could articulate the reasons for the stop if asked to do so.
Post 346 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
@poka

If someone needs to break based on their driving, they should pull over in a rest stop and take a nap.

The reality of -inappropriate- zipper merging is the intentional avoidance of earlier efficient merging. For example, there is a clear and safe opportunity to merge at traffic flow and you choose not to in order to get an advantageous position.

Of course the expert opinions on zipper merge benefits analyze as though US traffic behavior is otherwise similar to Germany (it isn’t). In Germany, strict adherence to road rules is common. In the US… not so much. When merging (and the logical basis for zipper move advocates) the through lane has right of way. The merging lane should technically wait for the opportunity to enter, including during a zipper merge. This is why advocates cite “less lane speed differential” as a key benefit.

Reality in most jurisdictions is that the merging lane will tend to cut in aggressively at the merge point. This results in a BIGGER speed differential as evidenced by cars zooming past to aggressively assert the lane change at the merge point.

You can’t pick and choose attributes when assessing the right option.

As for following distance/time, Bronte is correct. Btw, most car/driver combos have -braking- distances plus reaction times that will be around 300ft. It means if the car ahead makes a swerve maneuver to avoid an object OR hits a fixed object, someone under the 3 second following rule will not be able to safely respond.

The point with zipper merging is that both lanes travel at same speed therefore there is little need to break during merging. However, it does require a driving culture which probably does not exists in the USA where some just wish to get there first.
Post 347 IP   flag post
@Towmater exactly as I stated. RT + Stopping Distance > 300ft at 60mph

@poka my point exactly. Zipper merging as done in the US is not efficient or safer, despite the theoretical benefits.

Just like unlimited speed roads work in Germany but would be disastrous here.
Post 348 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia

If everyone looked at the same reference point (the light) you’d get something closer to this, though a delay is expected (compounded by reaction time).

First, many drivers pay attention solely to the bumper / car ahead as a cue, if paying attention at all. This jacks everything up of course.

Second, each driver has a reaction delay. The first in line to the signal change. All other drivers (ideally seeing the signal cue to verify) have to react both to the signal change but also the response of the vehicle in front. So even in a near ideal state, there is a compounding reaction time issue as drivers look to verify they can move forward.

The ideal state (but not practical due to uneven skill / reality) is what you see (more/less) in racing where everyone mostly responds to the same cue. They have the benefit of virtually identical skill and reaction times (and 100% attention). They pretty much will zoom ahead in tandem, depending on how tight the grouping is. So it is possible… maybe it happens more frequently in Monaco?

I'm in Orlando, tourist capital of the world.
We get people her from every part of the globe. Traffic is horrible. Way too many people in a small area. I do the speed limit in the slow lane lol....
Everyone is in such a hurry, like they are going to put out a fire.
Can't wait to retire and move to the country where I might see a truck every 10 miles
Post 349 IP   flag post
@Towmater
Thanks for the info. I like seeing information on how these things work for real.
Post 350 IP   flag post
So if you are taking advantage of the free kids meal on burger King app if you spend I think 6$ they are giving free DC toys with the meal.

So far I got wonder woman and the flash.

Post 351 IP   flag post
Quote:
So if you are taking advantage of the free kids meal on burger King app if you spend I think 6$ they are giving free DC toys with the meal.

So far I got wonder woman and the flash.

So cute... Nearest Burger King is, like, 40 miles away. Dang.
Post 352 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd

Check private message
Post 353 IP   flag post
@Bronte
Done!
Post 354 IP   flag post
Collector Fads89 private msg quote post Address this user
How do you change the caption underneath your profile pic?
Post 355 IP   flag post
600652 999 30