Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Ask questions here without starting a new thread 2022 part 218057

The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Other thread got filled up.

So some more of my Spider-man 2099 books came back and whomever suggested foxing was interior cover was right.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Hate it when I have foxing inside the cover, especially the back cover. One of the defects I'm most likely to miss if I'm not being super-diligent when I'm inspecting my books.
Post 2 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte @Byrdibyrd those sneaky little foxings.....
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Element_Lad private msg quote post Address this user
Do they kill the fungus before they slab to prevent further foxing?
Post 4 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Chances are they they graded the book. I sincerely doubt CCS was proactive in preserving the book...
Post 5 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I'm surprised foxing got as high as a 9.4. Usually don't see it above 9.2 or 9.0.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Element_Lad
Do they kill the fungus before they slab to prevent further foxing?

Grading companies can't do anything to the books. They use to put a few sheets of micro-chamber paper in to help combat the pollutants. Not sure if that is still the case. I don't think so.

Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Chances are they they graded the book. I sincerely doubt CCS was proactive in preserving the book...

But what about if you pay for pressing and cleaning? They say they use dry cleaning chemicals. Is one of them a fungicide? They clean the surface stains, stray inks, etc. but that sounds like only the visible imperfections. How thorough is the cleaning before it stops and restoration starts?
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Element_Lad
I like your question, but discussing pressing/cleaning techniques on the forum is a big no-no. Take care.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Element_Lad to my knowledge, the techniques used are non-restorative. And only on exterior.
Otherwise, it would be considered restored.
Post 10 IP   flag post
CCS did the pressing and cleaning. Honestly they used to be good. But recently I wouldn't trust them unless the options were severely limited. Their work as of late is sub par in my opinion, and I doubt they spent the time to do anything proactive. I recently saw what someone who goes through the process of noting errors and such and steps to correct and estimated grades before and after. I've NEVER seen that type of detail in any other presser. I've used 4 pressing companies and most were highly regarded and highly recommended. Only one went through that level of detail.

@DrWatson

My hulk 181 has foxing AND has a 9.6. I think at the time we decided it was a hell of a lucky grade considering it was a 9.4 before CCS got through with it.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
@Element_Lad
I like your question, but discussing pressing/cleaning techniques on the forum is a big no-no. Take care.

Sorry I am a newb and was unaware of this. Thank you for letting me know.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Per the CBCS section on pressing services:

“As part of all pressing tiers, your comic will be dry cleaned if it is found to have surface soiling. This consists of a gentle cleaning that uses no solvents. It is very successful at removing light surface dirt, but will not remove deeper dirt, stains, or foxing.”

Dry cleaning should not include any type of “treatment,” especially not the application of fungicides. I also believe that the actual cause of foxing is still not know. Is it caused by a mold/fungus, or if it is just a reaction of substances/impurities in the paper with moisture in the atmosphere?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Don't they just use fast actin' tinactin??
Post 14 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Boom! The big guy is missed! Classic TV commercials from years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Don't they just use fast actin' tinactin??
Post 15 IP   flag post
Anybody doing any disney.com purchases? I have a 20% off coupon I'm not using. Message me if you want it.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@Bronte Wow, foxing on a 9.6. I'd so pissed if I bought a 9.6 and it had foxing.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@esaravo Hasn't it been mentioned that it might be a reaction involving iron as well?
Post 18 IP   flag post
How about foxing on a 9.8? No great mystery as to who let this one get through...

Post 19 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
How about foxing on a 9.8? No great mystery as to who let this one get through...

its CGC....what do you expect...flawless grading?
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
@esaravo Hasn't it been mentioned that it might be a reaction involving iron as well?

Yes, iron and/or other impurities in the paper can react with moisture, humidity, etc. and cause the discoloration/foxing effect.
Post 21 IP   flag post
@DrWatson
Who is crazy enough to crack open a 9.6 ? But I think it's in the grading notes.
Post 22 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Foxing. The term 'foxing' describes disfiguring small yellow brown spots or blotches on paper. Two main causes are mould and iron contaminants in the paper. Moulds feed on the paper itself, as well as any dirt or organic material on it, for example, finger marks, food stains and squashed insects.

Foxing
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by power_struggle55
its CGC....what do you expect...flawless grading?

I beg epic ignorance as it was early in my 3rd-party grading journey. I know better now not to send all my books to Can't Grade Comics. Now I just use them for signings and underground books that CBCS won't grade.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Foxing. The term 'foxing' describes disfiguring small yellow brown spots or blotches on paper. Two main causes are mould and iron contaminants in the paper. Moulds feed on the paper itself, as well as any dirt or organic material on it, for example, finger marks, food stains and squashed insects.

Foxing

I thought foxing was on tour this year... lol....

Post 25 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Vast majority of old books have foxing. Majority don’t continue to degrade severely once in a stable climate/environment. Usually not caused by active mold (or necessarily caused by mold at all). Oxidation of impurities in the paper.

I’ll generally take a golden age rare book with the patina of foxing over some high grade mass market book.

Some get uppity but a grade is a grade. I’d also prefer a book at equal grade with some foxing patina over tears, big creases, etc.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@Davethebrave
Agreed. Foxing is just a fact of life with the older books. I count myself lucky when I have books where it's confined to the interior and/or back cover.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@DrWatson
Who is crazy enough to crack open a 9.6 ? But I think it's in the grading notes.

Me. You. And a bazillion other comic book collectors.
Post 28 IP   flag post
@DrWatson
True
I've done worse and prolly will continue to do so
Post 29 IP   flag post
So the manager at McDonald's Saud she would put aside 3 toys that arrived in shipment today. I just got there and nobody put anything aside. Told the lady I wanted 3 anyways, she handed them to me and told me don't sweat it. 3 Mantis fir free.....
Post 30 IP   flag post
601488 999 30