Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze Age

Bronze Age MARVEL Comic Books1803

Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,
I'm a little CONS-fussed and maybe you who are in "The Know" can educate me. I started collecting comic books back in 1967 and quit in 1982. Because the price was getting too high. 60ยข for a comic book was a lot when I was $3.75/hr and gas was $1.33/gal!! Also, the art work was going south for me very fast.

So my question is I have over (200)plus comic books from 1981-82 that I bought, bagged, boarded, buried in a brown box for a later time and just dug them up. They are in 9.6 or better!! Sharp colors, no spine damage, no tears or folds. Just some great looking 36 plus year old MARVELS that when I look them up in the price guide....they're listed under $10 for 9.2's!! Now reading these FORUMS that are posted people are having 2016-17 books graded and asking large amounts of CA$H for them. While something over 36 years old and in perfect condition is worth $6-10 bucks.

Case in point:
(All MARVELS)
BATTLE STAR GALACTICA #1 (1978) $18.00
CONAN THE BARBARIAN #89 (1978) $6.00
CONAN THE BARBARIAN #102 and 103 (both 1979) $4.00 each
GHOST RIDER #32 (1978) $10.00
MARVEL SUPER HEROS #82 (1979) $6.00
MARVEL TEAM UP 86 (1979) $5.00
MARVEL TWO IN ONE (1978-79) 41, 52 and 58 $4.00 each (Ok, #52 is $10.00)
POWER MAN AND IRONFIST #59 (1979) $6.00

I did submit these and (40) others to CBCS to be graded and will be surprised if any come back under 9.4!!

So what gives!!
Post 1 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
People want the bright and shiny new bauble. They'll argue print runs are so much lower nowadays. However... good luck finding high grade bronze despite higher print runs. Conversely, new books are 9.6 or 9.8 with 80% probability. So effectively no matter how small print run is these days every single one is NM
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Draco private msg quote post Address this user
It's all about first appearances and artist's etc. First appearance of a major character in low print and high grade beings good money.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Mef private msg quote post Address this user
Comic books are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. Price Guides are ok, but watching the market is a way better practice for staying on top of the prices. Quality matters, but only to the person who wants that particular book in that particular grade. If it's a key issue or a first appearance it will usually be worth more.

In the case of that Marvel two in one 52 it's the first app of a character called Crossfire. The only way that first appearance would carry any sort of premium is if they announce Crossfire in a movie or television show. That character could take off and demand for that particular comic could rise and the supply could fall creating increased prices.. capitalism!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector NewComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
Hi All,
I'm a little CONS-fussed and maybe you who are in "The Know" can educate me. I started collecting comic books back in 1967 and quit in 1982. Because the price was getting too high. 60ยข for a comic book was a lot when I was $3.75/hr and gas was $1.33/gal!! Also, the art work was going south for me very fast.

So my question is I have over (200)plus comic books from 1981-82 that I bought, bagged, boarded, buried in a brown box for a later time and just dug them up. They are in 9.6 or better!! Sharp colors, no spine damage, no tears or folds. Just some great looking 36 plus year old MARVELS that when I look them up in the price guide....they're listed under $10 for 9.2's!! Now reading these FORUMS that are posted people are having 2016-17 books graded and asking large amounts of CA$H for them. While something over 36 years old and in perfect condition is worth $6-10 bucks.

Case in point:
(All MARVELS)
BATTLE STAR GALACTICA #1 (1978) $18.00
CONAN THE BARBARIAN #89 (1978) $6.00
CONAN THE BARBARIAN #102 and 103 (both 1979) $4.00 each
GHOST RIDER #32 (1978) $10.00
MARVEL SUPER HEROS #82 (1979) $6.00
MARVEL TEAM UP 86 (1979) $5.00
MARVEL TWO IN ONE (1978-79) 41, 52 and 58 $4.00 each (Ok, #52 is $10.00)
POWER MAN AND IRONFIST #59 (1979) $6.00

I did submit these and (40) others to CBCS to be graded and will be surprised if any come back under 9.4!!

So what gives!!

Good luck, I hope you make your money back, but it's not looking good. Why didn't you ask us about them before you submitted them? We could've saved you some money.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thank you everybody for your input. I'm a collector and love the bronze age going back (MARVEL's mainly). These books are in my collection which I wasn't looking into selling. Maybe after all they will go up in value in another 20 years, but I bet you won't find many others of that year in better condition. Thank you again.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Age is only part of the equation when it comes to value. Yes the books are nearly 40 years old and may be in great condition but if they're otherwise unremarkable then they won't fetch much. You compared your books to high value moderns which is an apples to oranges comparison. Modern books that fetch huge prices aren't especially common wheras any random comic off the rack will be lucky to fetch its cover price. An in-demand first appearance or key issue from the Marvel bronze age will fetch high prices same as the best in-demand modern key issue.
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
A 2017 pick up truck will cost you more than a 1970 pick up truck. A lot more.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Broker1 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak

That's a good one!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector NormdaMarine private msg quote post Address this user
A 1969 Chevrolet: Camaro RS/SS will cost more than a 2-17 Pick up truck, a LOT more...

Quote:
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormdaMarine
A 1969 Chevrolet: Camaro RS/SS will cost more than a 2-17 Pick up truck, a LOT more...

Quote:

Simple supply/demand.
1. Old Chevy muscles were crashed and beat and played with. Not many left. Same thing with golden and early silver age books.

2. There are still 1970/80s pickups on the road in certain parts of the country. Much easier to find one to restore, and certainly easier to find one that's in great condition compared to old muscle cars. Nobody really wants them though either.

80s books were hoarded and piled up by collectors and dealers much more so than the golden and silver age stuff. Supply vs demand, you'll have to wait another 20-40 years at least for non-key 80s books to be worth something.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:

Quote:

Simple supply/demand.
1. Old Chevy muscles were crashed and beat and played with. Not many left. Same thing with golden and early silver age books.

2. There are still 1970/80s pickups on the road in certain parts of the country. Much easier to find one to restore, and certainly easier to find one that's in great condition compared to old muscle cars. Nobody really wants them though either.

80s books were hoarded and piled up by collectors and dealers much more so than the golden and silver age stuff. Supply vs demand, you'll have to wait another 20-40 years at least for non-key 80s books to be worth something.

Thanks for the input. I kinda figured another 10-15 years. But where are these hoards that collectors and dealers have been hiding??
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Thanks for the input. I kinda figured another 10-15 years. But where are these hoards that collectors and dealers have been hiding??

Still hidden. My guess is there are a lot of 80's books sitting in closets, attics and garages.
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
In every single back-issue bin at LCS's and flea markets across the country ๐Ÿ˜

and of course what he said ๐Ÿ‘†๐Ÿป
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Draco private msg quote post Address this user
There are people out there who have unopened cases of comics going back decades.....
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco
There are people out there who have unopened cases of comics going back decades.....

I would love to find them and make an offer on a few "unopened boxes"!!
Post 16 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user

mm
Post 17 IP   flag post

mm
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
the only thing I have unopened are the last 6 months bills
Post 19 IP   flag post

mm
Post 20 IP   flag post

mm
Post 21 IP   flag post

mm
Post 22 IP   flag post

mm
Post 23 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Simple supply/demand.

Trust me. There are regular collectors out there with hoards of comics from that era. Not even mentioning the dealers tht have bought collections over the years, and are just waiting for some of that drek (comics generally not worth much at all) to get hot and shoot up in value.

I am a nobody in this hobby. Yet, I have thousands of worthless comic books in storage. I used to buy three of everything in those days, and many I bought fifty to one hundred of them.

I don't mean to insult what you have, but that list you posted is never going to be worth more than ten bucks each. Except for the BattleStar Galactica #1. That one MIGHT go up to $25 bucks in 15 more years. But 25 bucks in 15 years, will be like having six bucks today. I think.

Tomorrow is promised to no man. And neither is increased value of run of the mill comic books.

Look up the Mile High II collection. It is interesting, and about this very subject.
Post 24 IP   flag post

mm
Post 25 IP   flag post

mm
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Simple supply/demand.

Trust me. There are regular collectors out there with hoards of comics from that era. Not even mentioning the dealers tht have bought collections over the years, and are just waiting for some of that drek (comics generally not worth much at all) to get hot and shoot up in value.

I am a nobody in this hobby. Yet, I have thousands of worthless comic books in storage. I used to buy three of everything in those days, and many I bought fifty to one hundred of them.

I don't mean to insult what you have, but that list you posted is never going to be worth more than ten bucks each. Except for the BattleStar Galactica #1. That one MIGHT go up to $25 bucks in 15 more years. But 25 bucks in 15 years, will be like having six bucks today. I think.

Tomorrow is promised to no man. And neither is increased value of run of the mill comic books.

Look up the Mile High II collection. It is interesting, and about this very subject.

Thank you for your input and no insult taken. The guy that insulted me was some 30 year old that offered me a buck a piece for my HULK 102, 103, 104 and 105 !! And later CBCS graded them each at 9.6. NOW that was an insult. Me, I love the hobby, some of the movies (not LOGAN) and the old school art work. The new art work from 1982 to date really sucks in my opinion.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Always liked these "Picture Frame" covers...picked up a
large group at an auction years ago.

mm
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector I_AM_IRON_MAN private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann
Always liked these "Picture Frame" covers...picked up a
large group at an auction years ago.

mm

Post 29 IP   flag post
Not sure if this is considered a "Picture Frame" cover but
it was in the group.

mm
Post 30 IP   flag post
601212 81 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?