Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedGrading Help NeededQuestions

Distributor ink overspray confusion18020

Collector leelewis17 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey everyone! So I just submitted my first batch of comics for grading. I had a Marvel Spotlight 28 that I was told estimated to about an 8.0-8.5 by someone that I feel like has a really good eye. The one problem was that the book had some blue distributor overspray on the top left corner. For a while I decided not to get it graded because of this, but before I submitted I saw a thread on CBCS that said that because it overspray has nothing to do with the way a book has been treated that it didn't calculate into the grade. I just got the grade on the book and it came back as a 6.0 with the notes as "small spine tic, small crease on cover, distributor ink on top left corner". So, I am guessing that the grader DID take off for the ink. Any insight into this? Is this luck of the grader draw? Should I crack it and have it graded again? Just curious. Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
It sounds like whoever provided the information in the old thread was simply mistaken.

Unless it’s a CBCS employee like Steve Ricketts or Steve Borock, who have intimate knowledge of CBCS grading practices, it’s best not to take such responses as absolute gospel.

In general production issues do tend to affect the grade. Some issues, if they affect the whole run may not, some only limit the grade to a certain maximum, but it’s always best to assume an issue will affect the grade
Post 2 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@leelewis17 1st welcome to the forum. The distributor ink will be counted as a defect depending on the severity. Show us a pic of the ink.
I had a Conan # 1 that had like 3" wide x 1" across the top edge of the back corner.
The book itself was a solid 9.0, but I took it down to 7.0-7.5 because of the ink.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
The distributor ink will be counted as a defect depending on the severity.

Just like this.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector leelewis17 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@leelewis17 1st welcome to the forum. The distributor ink will be counted as a defect depending on the severity. Show us a pic of the ink.
I had a Conan # 1 that had like 3" wide x 1" across the top edge of the back corner.
The book itself was a solid 9.0, but I took it down to 7.0-7.5 because of the ink.

I don't have the book back yet, but the blue was about a 1/8 inch deep onto the book and about about 3/4 inch across the top edge. BTW, super impressed with how quickly the turn around will be on these books, but would have been happy to have it take a couple extra weeks for an 8.0.
Post 5 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
The amount of distributor ink certainly plays into the grade. It isn't considered a production defect as it was added after production.
Post 6 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by leelewis17
Quote:

I don't have the book back yet, but the blue was about a 1/8 inch deep onto the book and about about 3/4 inch across the top edge. BTW, super impressed with how quickly the turn around will be on these books, but would have been happy to have it take a couple extra weeks for an 8.0.

The ink spray most likely only counted as a 1.5-2 point deductions and the rest came from the other defects.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
It isn't considered a production defect as it was added after production.

Never crossed my mind that would be the case! Interesting. I have learned a new thing today.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Caffeine_Kid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by leelewis17
Is this luck of the grader draw? Should I crack it and have it graded again? Just curious. Thanks!

There are multiple graders that review each comic (generally 3 graders is my understanding).That is to prevent getting a bad grader by the luck of the draw.
Post 9 IP   flag post
With turn around times being backed up to the moon, I'd kiss my own arse if I remotely thought every book was being reviewed by three graders.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I don't know how you'll manage it, but take a pic when you do.
Post 11 IP   flag post
FROM CBCS Website:

GRADING
Each book is checked to make sure they are complete, as each page is counted, checking for missing panels, coupons and pieces. The grader will then take notes of any defects that could affect the books grade or will note any defect that may be hidden or hard to see. The grader will also do another check for restoration and then choose a page quality and a grade from ranging from 0.1 up to 10, with 10 being the highest grade a book can receive.

To make sure one grader does not influence another grader, any grade chosen remains hidden from all of the next graders. When the finalizer gets the book, the process is repeated, and compares the chosen grade to the other grades already assigned to the book. If the grades match, or are reasonably close, the book will receive a final grade. If the grades do not match, the book will be passed to another grader (or even other graders) until a consensus of the final grade has been selected.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeine_Kid
To make sure one grader does not influence another grader, any grade chosen remains hidden from all of the next graders. When the finalizer gets the book, the process is repeated, and compares the chosen grade to the other grades already assigned to the book. If the grades match, or are reasonably close, the book will receive a final grade. If the grades do not match, the book will be passed to another grader (or even other graders) until a consensus of the final grade has been selected.

This sounds far too time consuming. I'm happy with only one grader looking at my books if it speeds up the turnaround times.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeine_Kid
I don't know how you'll manage it, but take a pic when you do.

Talk is cheap. It's even cheaper when it's an advertisement written for a web page.
Post 14 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
It’s potentially -legally problematic- to market a service at a price and then not perform the service as described. Especially if the omitted actions are material (and in this case it is very easy to argue they are).
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders

This sounds far too time consuming. I'm happy with only one grader looking at my books if it speeds up the turnaround times.

I guess it comes down to the integrity of the process and ultimately the company.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
It’s potentially -legally problematic- to market a service at a price and then not perform the service as described. Especially if the omitted actions are material (and in this case it is very easy to argue they are).

false TAT's comes to mind.
Post 17 IP   flag post
TATs have always been estimates based on volume of submissions. When submissions spike overnight, a specialized business can't immediately bolster the workforce to clear the backlog.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
TATs have always been estimates based on volume of submissions. When submissions spike overnight, a specialized business can't immediately bolster the workforce to clear the backlog.

Having been caught in the same situation, I was very understanding and supportive initially. But in my company we quickly adjusted our communication to customers. And we didn't allow a perpetual flow of new higher priced work to take precedent over the early jobs that had been given wrong TAT's. We did everything in our power to come as close as possible to the estimates we had given customers.
Post 19 IP   flag post
601347 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?