Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Restoration and Conservation

Center Page Not Connected to Staples. Suggestions?18011

Collector BigJimSlade private msg quote post Address this user
Hey all,

I've barely handled this since I purchased it but apparently it's sensitive enough that the center staple holes widened enough for the page to come loose.

I'm hesitant to pry the staples up so I can put the page back on and then crimp the staples back down.

Has anyone experienced this and if so, can you please pass along the best solution?

Thanks a bunch,
Paul

Post 1 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
It's best to leave it as is.
Post 2 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
To what comic are you referring, @BigJimSlade? Is it an older, more expensive book or a more recent book?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
It's probably best to leave it alone. If you try to reattach the centerfold a few things may happen that can make the situation worse.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
Don't be scared. It's just a comic. Worst case you get a new stapler.

Post 5 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
If the centerfold is detached and the staples need to be “pry” up, the paper on the centerfold is blown.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
It is really a choice thing, except perhaps with a high grade book and CBCS.

If the centerfold is detached, you might be able to get into the mid grade range but probably no better. I have a couple of 4.5's with a detached centerfold. And the overall look like VG to VG/FN copies. So the detached centerfold did not appear to hurt the grade.

If you use very small pieces of archival tape and reattach the centerfold - and the book is otherwise "high grade" it might be possible to get into the 6.0-7.0 range, based on CBCS's listed guidelines.

Regardless, you are choosing between label notes. Either the label says "centerfold detached" or the label says "centerfold reattached with tape".

With CGC, they have a rule - since May 2013 - that tape can never improve the grade. So CGC would grade the book as though it has the centerfold detached whether reattached with tape or not.

It is also worth noting that CGC no longer lists staple detachments ON THE LABEL. Instead staple detachment is only mentioned in the grading notes.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Just curious, would you all rather have a slab that says "centerfold detached", or "glue on spine"?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
If it says "glue on spine" it's either labeled Restored or Conserved. So since I don't want restored or conserved, I'll take staple detachment.

This is why tape is used. To avoid the restored/conserved label. Or an extra staple added.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
To what comic are you referring, @BigJimSlade? Is it an older, more expensive book or a more recent book?

Crud. Forgot to add the images. It's The Man Called Nova #1.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Just curious, would you all rather have a slab that says "centerfold detached", or "glue on spine"?

I really don't know which is better. I just added images which I had forgotten to do.
Thanks.
Post 11 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
The book is from 1976 making it 46 years old. If the page is detached at the staple then that means the paper between the two staple holes has split. If you try to bend the staple to make contact with the page you run the risk of breaking the staple. If that happens then you're far worse off in terms of grade or you're now in the Restoration arena if you replace the staple.
Post 12 IP   flag post
PM sent
Post 13 IP   flag post
601204 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?