Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Weekly Cover Contest Discussion Thread Part Deux17997

Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
So I just discovered by astute observation of the 50s cover contest, that in 1954 you could breathe in outer space without a helmet on

Then in 1955 someone or something sucked all the air out and you had to wear a helmet

All tounge and cheek of course

Post 201 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Gotlift - Here’s a helmet from 1953. I almost used this cover for the contest, but then decided to go for something completely different from what was being posted at the time.

Post 202 IP   flag post
And also staying with the si-fi of the 1950s and space travel theme.. I give you the Movie set of the
"Day The Earth Stood Still" 1951 shot in Washington DC..

Post 203 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@Gotlift - Here’s a helmet from 1953. I almost used this cover for the contest, but then decided to go for something completely different from what was being posted at the time.

yeah but the guy in the loin cloth doesn't, maybe she doesn't want to mus her hair
Post 204 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlift
maybe she doesn't want to mus her hair

There's also the possibility she's utilising that indispensable future-gadget that all the ladies are so, so envious of: Acme Perm-in-a-Bubble. Get your killer hair done while also saving half-naked, built barbarian dudes from drooling tentacle monsters At The Same Time! For the adventurous yet fashionable Action Lady on the go!!!
Post 205 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:

There's also the possibility she's utilising that indispensable future-gadget that all the ladies are so, so envious of: Acme Perm-in-a-Bubble. Get your killer hair done while also saving half-naked, built barbarian dudes from drooling tentacle monsters At The Same Time! For the adventurous yet fashionable Action Lady on the go!!!

and how do you look through a scope with a 2 foot bubble on your head..

And to top it all off ..a space suit that gives her camel-toe ... with your fashionable fur top Jimmy Choo red leather boots..

wow we kind of destroyed that artists work... then again its called Weird Fantasy
Post 206 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

and how do you look through a scope with a 2 foot bubble on your head..

And to top it all off ..a space suit that gives her camel-toe ... with your fashionable fur top Jimmy Choo red leather boots..

wow we kind of destroyed that artists work... then again its called Weird Fantasy

The ladies will put up with a lot to get hair designed by Al Williamson & Frank Frazetta! Besides, I doubt half-naked barbarian dude will complain much, having been rescued from a tentacular grabby-monster.
Post 207 IP   flag post
Collector ShallaBal private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
Quote:
@southerncross
Now that's one I've never seen before. Dang. Another book on the shopping list.

Yeah when I first saw the cover I just had to have it.

@Byrdibird and @southerncross, you may be interested in this:

Fwiw Adams's 1970 cover for the reprint book From Beyond the Unknown was a redo of Gil Kane's cover for Strange Adventures #85 (1957)

Post 208 IP   flag post
@ShallaBal
And there's another book on the shopping list!
Post 209 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@ShallaBal that cover looks better with the yellow background
Post 210 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Post 211 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
If this weeks cover contest has taught me something, it's Saturn (or ringed planets) represent science fiction/space/future.
Post 212 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I never really thought about it until relatively recently...but I always just took for granted that Star Wars took place in the future because of the technology etc. But it seems that Star Wars is a period piece.....

Post 213 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
My favorite kind of cover: this great magazine cover tells a story with a single picture:

Post 214 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I never really thought about it until relatively recently...but I always just took for granted that Star Wars took place in the future because of the technology etc. But it seems that Star Wars is a period piece.....

It's a fairy tale.

It could of started as Once upon a time!
Post 215 IP   flag post

Post 216 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

It's a fairy tale.

It could of started as Once upon a time!

It could have but it started with telling the viewer that this story takes place in the past.
Post 217 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

@GAC - I instantly thought of this when I saw @DrWatson Star Wars #1 entry into the fray. I thought about entering my Star Trek #1 but thought that would be too obvious from me and ultimately decided to go with Valiants Magnus #1 instead as I was inspired by someone else Gold Key entry.
Post 218 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
The Shadows' shadow!
(I know I was beaten to that, but I like this cover a whole lot better )

Post 219 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user

Post 220 IP   flag post
One of my favorite crime covers were used before I could post in the contest

Post 221 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user

Post 222 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
This one went for some nice coin in 2021'

Post 223 IP   flag post
Post 224 IP   flag post
This may be my favorite WCC yet...*giggle*
Post 225 IP   flag post
-Our Odin-
Rest in Peace
Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia GREAT idea for a contest!!!!
Post 226 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, this is a good one.
Post 227 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I kind of wanted to buck the rules and let people post more than one cover since there's a contender on just about every page of the thread. Maybe after everyone has had a few days to pick a cover...if the group here decided to allow a second and third submission, I would be up for that.
Post 228 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Too many great covers. I found this one @Heinzdad will like.

Post 229 IP   flag post
I don't think @Martymann participates in the WCC but I think he should know this weeks contest is in his honour. I think he'd get a kick out of that.

Can we edit the WCC thread title to include Marty Mann's name in there so he see's it?
Post 230 IP   flag post
619266 658 30