Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Graded

July Effect, could this have impacted CBCS?17915

Collector Hoarding_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
In the medicL world the July Effect, as it is called in the USA, is the time of year when new medical school grad start residency at teaching hospitals. There is some study supporting that during this time the likelihood of medical mistakes increases.

We have all seen the ads says CBCS and CGC are and have been hiring for a while now. So the question is, has anyone noticed grades that seem... inconsistent with grades of past submissions. Or even with other books within the same order?

I just got back 15 books i submitted after Megacon Orlando last year and there are 3 grades that i am just dumbfounded by. While other books are exactly in line with expectations.

I don't claim to be an expect grader. I miss things. These are not things i missed as much as they are things that seem to be taking off a lot more than they seem to have in the past.

Happy to post examples of people are interested.
Post 1 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Sure! Post pictures! We'd like to see.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@Hoarding_Comics
Very interested in seeing pics! And I think you're right about differences with CGC & CBCS in the past vs. now. While I've seen some inconsistent grading, I'm lacking in photographic evidence right now. What I do have are solid numbers on returns. They look like this:

2018 (this is the year I started getting books slabbed):
CGC returns: 1
CBCS returns: 0

2019:
CGC returns: 1

2020:
CGC returns: 2

2021:
CGC returns: 27

2022 so far:
CGC returns: 13
CBCS returns: 7

It's night and day. All those 2021 CGC returns were from just October ~ December of that year. The rest of the year was clear. It's what I'm finding in the returns, too, that concern me. The 2021 returns were almost exclusively for cracks in cases, with all of them looking the same and being in the same location(s). This points to a materials issue (defective materials that should have been rejected possibly passed by newbie QC), or a procedural issue (new procedure to speed things up actually cracks cases), or a handling issue (possible newbie handlers being too rough during packaging). Also had a few labeling errors, but CGC was pretty famous for those long before now.

Now (2022) I'm getting a lot of odd scuffing on the CGC cases that looks like hard water marks. Not sure what to make of that. Could be materials again or a materials cleaning procedure that's flawed. Regardless, QC should be stopping these from going anywhere because the defects are really Really obvious, and yet they've sent me about a dozen of them so far (and one cracked corner on a case - that one looked like shipping damage).

The CBCS returns from this year are all over the place. Hair in a capsule, cracked corner, scratches, etc. The usual stuff, but now it seems final QC is not catching these before they go out. Looks like maybe newbie QC at CBCS, too.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
I think CBCS is/will be more consistent than CGC. Yes both make mistakes. Both are run and operated by humans. CGC still hasn’t solved recurring quality issues yet CBCS still hasn’t resolved Customer Service issues. I’d rather Submit to CBCS because I know I’m getting what I pay for weather I like the grade or not, but I’d be damned if I need support during the process. I really don’t want to use CGC, but I’m torn on being ghosted and receiving quality product or actual communication
Post 4 IP   flag post
@HulkSmash I hear you.

I'm still sticking with CBCS because I may wait for a while (a long, Long while) but I'll be more assured of a quality product when I finally receive it. I will say that CGC has a new procedure for returns that is Excellent and I wish CBCS would adopt it or something like it. That would really solve some issues with CS rarely being available.
Post 5 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
@HulkSmash I hear you.

I'm still sticking with CBCS because I may wait for a while (a long, Long while) but I'll be more assured of a quality product when I finally receive it. I will say that CGC has a new procedure for returns that is Excellent and I wish CBCS would adopt it or something like it. That would really solve some issues with CS rarely being available.

I feel the same as far as quality, but my membership ends tomorrow. I have fast pass vouchers I never used because they did nothing to explain what to do with them after the price hikes and calling/emailing gave me multiple answers. Just turned me off to submitting here. I'm letting the membership go and signed up for the $99 membership at CGC with the $149 credit.
$200 CBCS membership + $60 per book is ridiculous.
I've been holding about 30 magazine sized books but I'm done waiting. They'll go to CGC instead.

While I don't fully trust the CGC quality (the reason I even tried CBCS), it is cheaper now, resale is of course higher and they will fix problems if they arise. Plus they answer the phone.

As for OP, I didn't see ads saying they've been hiring for a while now. I remember the claims made in the forum that they have been looking for a while now. Who knows whatever came of that.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Ok, this is my 1st example and 1 I think is the simplest.

Generally speaking you can get a 9.8 with 1 or even 2 minor spine ticks if they are small. After all, a 9.8 is not evicted to be 100% perfect, that would be a 10.

The grader notes for this book list 1 defect: minor crease left back cover.
Doesn't even say anything about breaking color and "minor" implies it's small.

This is a full image of the back cover

This is what I think the defect they are talking about is

for size reference this is your typical sharpie

Canto #1 is known to be very difficult to get a 9.8 on as there was a manufacturing defect on pretty much all of them. When CBCS had the private signing for the creators I sent in 2 for double sigs and remarks. Both came back 9.8 and for a long time I had the only 2 like that. Now there are 7 9.8 signed (dont know how many are like mine). But my 2 books still had the defect. It was very faint compared to others Ive seen but it was there. And it is 10000x more noticeable this what I see in the pics above.

This book was graded 9.4... not even a 9.6

Ill post another example tomorrow
Post 7 IP   flag post
Example #2 and this 1 is really painful

Aside from the wrap being a bit off center (note the image of a newspaper from the back cover being visible around to the front of the spine) nothing jumping out.

Some close pics of the spine show there are some spineticks but nothing major and most not breaking color given the spine is white.

Now the back cover

Back cover had 1 issue that I would have expected to press out but it didnt. Even then Ive seen similar, non-color breaking issues on books that graded much higher then this.

So what did this grade as?

The grader notes stated: "spine stress breaks color
stain near spine back cover"

the only "stain I could find was this located between the last sentence and the last monitor in the ad:

Do you see it? Is that "stain" really enough to drop a book from what I thought would be an 8-8.5 all the way down to a 5.0?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Is this a labeling error? I had a book that went the other way - great grade on a book that clearly didn't deserve it - and CGC fixed that for free.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I really really hope that X-Men 266 is a mistake with the label as @Byrdibyrd stated.
A 5.0 for that book based on what you have shown is way out in left field.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I called CGC about the giveback benefit. beastboy1980 private msg quote post Address this user
i have to say CBCS grades more consistent than cgc in my opinion.

I have had to return about 4 cgc comics in the last 3 years none to cbcs.

i just wish cbcs would step up and grade basic moderns from this year soon
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I heard that they're working on it
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastboy1980

Total agreement. The TATs at CBCS are getting pretty hard to swallow, but I'm still willing to deal with it for the better product in the end.

By the way, this is the stain on the back of a copy of Tales to Astonish #29 that was originally given a grade of 7.5 (!) and later changed to a 2.5 Trust me, grading errors definitely happen.

Post 13 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastboy1980

Total agreement. The TATs at CBCS are getting pretty hard to swallow, but I'm still willing to deal with it for the better product in the end.

By the way, this is the stain on the back of a copy of Tales to Astonish #29 that was originally given a grade of 7.5 (!) and later changed to a 2.5 Trust me, grading errors definitely happen.

Someone originally graded that book at a 7.5???????? No way...
That is a massive dark stain. The 2,5 is in line.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67

WAY. Check out the first label it had:

Look at the lower right corner and you can see where the stain is bleeding through. The CGC # is the same, too. That fugly stain was a 7.5 when I first got it.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I’m sure whatever it was you got me was perfect. PhantomEwan private msg quote post Address this user
Alright I will share mine, never gave it much thought but this thread has me wondering. What do think about the grade on this? Not stained but dirty.

Post 16 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
@Hoarding_Comics yes that stain with any cumulative defects would hurt that bad especially on a modern book
Post 17 IP   flag post
@PhantomEwan
WOW, I agree with @HulkSmash ! That poor book is in desperate need of a cleaning before it can live up to that grade. The grade looks like it goes with the front of the book, but not the back.
Post 18 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
I think CBCS is/will be more consistent than CGC.

Repeated Forever, But Won't Happen for $800, Alex.
Post 19 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67

WAY. Check out the first label it had:

Look at the lower right corner and you can see where the stain is bleeding through. The CGC # is the same, too. That fugly stain was a 7.5 when I first got it.

Wow...
Someone was definitely not looking at the entire book. That's crazy.....

@PhantomEwan
Crack that thing out, get it cleaned and pressed and get an 8.5-9.0 real quick.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@Nearmint67
This book was a real jaw-dropper. The fun part is that before I tried to contact CGC about it, I posted it on this forum. The Next Day I got a phone call from CGC asking if I wanted it fixed. I gave the only real answer - "Hell, yes" - and that's how it got dealt with. I'm impressed that CGC cold-called me - I'll give them that.
Post 21 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Nearmint67
This book was a real jaw-dropper. The fun part is that before I tried to contact CGC about it, I posted it on this forum. The Next Day I got a phone call from CGC asking if I wanted it fixed. I gave the only real answer - "Hell, yes" - and that's how it got dealt with. I'm impressed that CGC cold-called me - I'll give them that.

They also have Mike over in the forums offering help and supposedly making the new QC manager aware of all the problems getting posted.
They should do that here.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
Quote:
@Nearmint67

They also have Mike over in the forums offering help and supposedly making the new QC manager aware of all the problems getting posted.
They should do that here.

Yes, I was finally able to get some returns for CGC dealt with by posting on their forum after an extended period of time having no luck with CS. I used a thread (I think it was "ask CGC" or somesuch) where people could bring up those kinds of issues. I think CBCS could really benefit from something similar.
Post 23 IP   flag post
600822 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?