Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS EventsCBCS GradedCBCS Signature ASPQuestionsSignatures

2021 Bob Layton signing TAT's17874

Collector TigerRose1981 private msg quote post Address this user
Just wanted to enquire if anyone sent books to cbcs for the Bob Layton signature event back in early September of last year? And if so, has anyone gotten the their books back?

Mine finally went to the processing stage a couple of months ago. I sent 3 books in the modern tier. I know TATs are long in general, but is it unusual or common,these days, for it to still be in processing almost a year later?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerRose1981
Just wanted to enquire if anyone sent books to cbcs for the Bob Layton signature event back in early September of last year? And if so, has anyone gotten the their books back?

Mine finally went to the processing stage a couple of months ago. I sent 3 books in the modern tier. I know TATs are long in general, but is it unusual or common,these days, for it to still be in processing almost a year later?

I sent 6 books in and I got them back a few months ago. I understand that it's not unusual for some books to move more quickly through the system. I have books from the Tynion signing still in 'received' while other folks already have theirs back. It's a real mystery.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd thank you for that update. I've tried contacting cbcs several times but it was always an automated email response saying someone will get back to you. No one ever did after several emails. I sent one book for last year's Tynion signing as well and I finally got it back a couple of months ago. Wasn't happy with the grade, I believe it was damaged during signing because it was brand new when I sent it. Interesting that you got your layton books and I haven't, and I got my Tynion book and you haven't.

I really appreciate your update! I at least have a little piece of mind knowing they didn't get lost! I hope you get your Tynion books back soon friend!!
Post 3 IP   flag post
@TigerRose1981 Thanks for letting me know about your Tynion books! As long as things are moving along I'm sure I'll get my books back one of these days.

I lucked out and was pretty pleased with my books from the Layton signing. I'm trying to remember if I fastpassed those books, but I don't think I did. At the time I submitted them, TATs just weren't so bad that it warranted the extra expense.

It's odd that there are such widely variable TATs on books from the same signings. We're not the only ones to have found evidence of it, either. Weird.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd what books did you send for the Layton signing? Just my geek curiosity!!😊

I sent these:

Post 5 IP   flag post
@TigerRose1981 Those are all very nice! I kinda wish I'd sent my IM #125, but mine is a little thrashed. I'd have sent it for sure if it looked like yours!
Here are the ones I sent:

There was a third Secret Wars #7 (also 9.8) but I sold it. Gotta pay for the signing somehow!
Post 6 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd those are awesome books! Nice grades all around too!! I wish I had an Iron Man 128!!

Those pics I sent were just screen shots from gocollect to show you which books I sent. I wish they looked like that too! Lol

My iron man copies weren't in to bad of shape and my Ant-Man has some wear but it's a special book to me personally, so I wanted to send it anyway! I had them pressed so fingers crossed they get some nice grades!
Post 7 IP   flag post
That Iron Man #128 I got in the Way Back When when I worked at my LCS for a five years. It was the only one that came in the whole time I was there and I jumped on it!

I fully support grading any book that has personal significance. Best reason for grading, IMHO.

Best of luck on your books!
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd it's cool that you were the original owner of the book!! You kept it in good condition all these years!!

My books were my dad's. He collected and read as a kid and his collection was mainly from 60s and 70s. He got me into it when I was a kid and it was a cool hobby we did together. He started me my own collection back then in late 80s and 90s.We he passed away I inherited his collection. He passed in 2014 and our collections had been stored together at my parents house and about a year ago I found them in storage at my mom's and brought them home with me. Since then I have gotten back into it as an adult!! So fun going back through all of our old books! I became addicted again immediately!!!

What books did you send for the Tynion signing?
Post 9 IP   flag post
@TigerRose1981
Your story of getting into comics is WAY cooler than mine. I started collecting because I was in the Army and as a teetotaler there were only so many ways of keeping myself amused that weren't illegal. I started collecting comics when I realised we always got new comics every week at the PX. We only got regular books maybe once or twice a month, so comics were a more reliable source of reading material. I was just in time for Frank Miller DD and Wolfman/Perez on New Teen Titans, so that was all the encouragement I needed. I got out of comics in the 90s, but went back in mid-00's, then back out (ran out of discretionary income). I'm not collecting much off the rack anymore, but my collection is still pretty big. My plan is to sell it because no one else in the family is interested in keeping my collection, and if anyone is going to benefit from selling it off, it's going to be me! There are a lot of them that I'll be replacing with trade paperbacks before I let them go, though. Too much good stuff!

Tynion is one of the current writers whose books I really enjoy. For this signing, though, I only sent a few random Batmans - though a couple have nice variant covers. There was another signing more recently, and I sent a really nice book for that. I have a SIKTC #21 with the Tiny Onion gold foil variant cover, and it's on the way back to me now. It got a 9.8 and I'm pretty jazzed. Can't wait to see it!
Post 10 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd I think your story is just as cool as mine!! I can't imagine what being in the army was like but I'd say having those comics to look forward to and comfort you while you were serving our country,is special in and of itself! THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!

I bet you you have a pretty valuable college overall! Just the books you have mentioned is proof of that and that's awesome! And congratulations on SIKTC #21 9.8!! I've only gotten a fee books graded since I got back into it(discretionary income), but it's kind of like Christmas when the finally come back in the mail!! You definitely need to send me a picture of that beauty too!!
Post 11 IP   flag post
@TigerRose1981
Comics were a great (and harmless) way to 'get away from it all.' I was pretty young when I joined up, and if I had it to do over again I might make a few different decisions but I still would have done it. I was glad to serve, and you're Very Welcome!

My collection used to be a lot more impressive before I went to college and had to use it to pay for drab things like textbooks and tuition, but I still have a few of the crown jewels like my very VERY thrashed - CBCS 2.0 - AS-M #1 and my Sensation Comics #1. I will definitely be showing off that SIKTC #21 variant when I get it back (it'll be a while - registered mail takes its time). If you want to see what the cover looks like, check a website like GoCollect or CovrPrice or ComicsPriceGuide and look for the Onion Club or Tiny Onion gold foil variant. I'm glad I sent that one in and got it signed and I'd do more if I had the $$$ but it's a discretionary income issue here, too.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd you weren't kidding when you said you had two crown jewels!!! Even in a 2.0 that AS-M quite a book! I don't have anything even close to the value of those 2 books!! My collection is pretty small compared to most collectors. My dad's books were from his late teenage years. He had books from when he was a young kid but they had gotten lost along the way somewhere by the time I was born. I would have loved to have seen what books he had then!! Even so, it's special to have the books he did hang onto!! I am totally Jealous of of your AS-M 1😉

I found your SIKTC cover on gocollect and that is a sick cover!! A signature is going look great on that gem! I can't wait to see it too! I'll live vicariously through you as if it were my own!! Lol
Post 13 IP   flag post
@TigerRose1981
I have a few books from my dad, too, but I'll get forum detention if I show them off. No smut on the forum!! I did send two of them to CGC to get graded (1st printings of a couple of higher end adult comics in nice shape). We'll see how that goes...

My SIKTC #21 has shipped out of Tampa and I'm hoping to get it next week. Fingers crossed. I have a couple other Tiny Onion gold foils (Dept. of Truth #18 & Sandman Universe: Nightmare Country #1) and I'm considering sending those in, but James Tynion has been doing a bunch of signings lately. I don't want them to be in grading limbo when an opportunity to get them signed comes by.

I'm sure you've got some great books in your collection, too. Good books are good books, no matter when they came out. I want to see your Marvel Premiere when you get it back! I used to have one, but I sold it. Kinda wish I hadn't done that. I have some big gaps in my collection, like when I dropped out for about 10 years from mid-90's to mid-00's, and I missed a lot of good stuff. I'm still kicking myself for going comics-AWOL for so long.
Post 14 IP   flag post
601242 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?