Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature VSPComics Silver AgeSignatures

Quandary - What would you do?17855

I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Just throwing it out there, silver surfer is heavily rumored to be in the guardians of the galaxy holiday special this year, maybe hold until then. That's what I'm doing for my duplicate ss keys
Post 26 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
cgc might give a worst grade....damage the comic....damage the slab....or send you a random silver surfer comic with a signature of a random guy who saw rise of the silver surfer 3 times
Post 27 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by power_struggle55
cgc might give a worst grade....damage the comic....damage the slab....or send you a random silver surfer comic with a signature of a random guy who saw rise of the silver surfer 3 times

@power_struggle55 - I am no fan of cgc, which is why I would only consider a Re-Holder from them. Love your Hulk Smash style comment.
Post 28 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEPubDude
How does it get into the 9 zone with the edge chipping shown there? Dang, if that's a 9 I should look at what mine looks like. Mine has rounded corners like that and I thought it would only get 5 because of the corner rounding.

Awesome books either way, keep them both...

It looks over graded to me to.

@Scifinator
Sell both and take the cash and get one you really want.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector CEPubDude private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, the King created Silver Surfer. I absolutely adore anything he worked on. However, Big John Buscema made Surfer "Real" for me. You know what I mean?

Too bad Big John and the King couldn't have collaborated directly together on follow ups. The King creating the universe of outstanding imagination and Big J putting that universe into a realism the 60's was so patiemtly yearning for. John was on the forefront with of making "funny pages" into Frazetta like intense artwork. Yes, the talent of these two was simply incredible as innovators for that time in comics.

All for $50 bucks a page....

So much talent in that time transforming the comics world...
Post 30 IP   flag post

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I've been collecting comics since I was 8 years old (I'm 51 now). I have never ever considered John Buscema a Kirby clone. I only discovered recently that some people think this (I'm not referring to anyone on this thrrad but Google Kirby vs. Buscema). This is so strange to me because the only similarity I see between the two artists is the extremely high quality of their art.

I am a Kirby fan through and through. To me, he is the single most important artist and storyteller in all of comics in all of its history....head and shoulders above everyone. But...John Buscema is an absolute legend. A brilliant artist who has drawn the "definitive" version of certain characters...(Conan in my opinion). His SS is amazing and so is his Thor...everything he touched was gold and absolutely an original and unique artist.
Post 31 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Back on topic though....I've got 2 of those SS1's but much lower grades...both 4.0's.....I'd keep both those books.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Uh... John Buscema is a Kirby clone!?!? Buscema shows some Kirby influence in his art, but in comics, who doesn't? Just because both tend to use extreme poses when portraying action doesn't make Buscema a clone.
Post 33 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd I agree 100%!

I didn't even know this was a thing until recently when it came to my attention. I googled it and there's opinions out there that think this....I think they're completely wrong...no one in comics escapes Kirby's influence but influence and clone are not the same thing...not even close actually.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC
I'd never heard of it until you just mentioned it. I think it's ridiculous. Letting the style of a groundbreaking artist influence your work is commonplace. Kirby and John Buscema both use extreme posing and they both tend to fill the page with action to show intensity. Line work and layouts for non-action are not similar (line work in particular is worlds apart). Hell, if posing and page-filling are signs of a Kirby clone, then I guess Araki Hirohiko (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure) is the biggest Kirby clone of all time!
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
@GAC
I'd never heard of it until you just mentioned it. I think it's ridiculous. Letting the style of a groundbreaking artist influence your work is commonplace. Kirby and John Buscema both use extreme posing and they both tend to fill the page with action to show intensity. Line work and layouts for non-action are not similar (line work in particular is worlds apart). Hell, if posing and page-filling are signs of a Kirby clone, then I guess Araki Hirohiko (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure) is the biggest Kirby clone of all time!

Perfectly said and I couldn't agree more!! 🍻
Post 36 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Mis Wraps are my pet peeve and Ive never been a fan of books defaced with writing.

I would dump the red label CBCS book and keep the nicer Blue Label CGC book.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
1. do you need $$ - sell one - the unsigned one.
2. Dont need $$ - dont sell either. They'll increase in value in time.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
If everyone is so convinced that something will be worth more later...why isn't it worth more now? Or is it that it already is worth more now and we are overlooking that?
Post 39 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know about anyone else's reasoning but silver surfer in mcu hasn't been announced yet. However I would gamble it will soon after FF is released.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
I’d like to use the Walking Dead #1 pricing.

As the popularity of the show skyrocketed, so did the price of that book.

But as the show dropped in ratings (significantly I might add) the books prices dropped.

I say SS popularity will continue to increase as the character has more exposure.
Post 41 IP   flag post
600649 41 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?