Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature VSPComics Silver AgeSignatures

Quandary - What would you do?17855

Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Well, it happened. I picked up a Silver Surfer in same grade as the one I already had.

Here’s my quandary. I am not typically big into signed comics, but Silver Surfer was Stan Lee’s creation and baby that took him literally decades to relinquish control of. So him signing one seems a little more special to me. Do i keep the one that is VSP’d but i have direct verified trace to witnessed signing by Stan Lee at Supernova in Sydney in June 2014, but has a small amount of color touch - Or - do I keep the Blue label and either send to CBCS for possible regrade or send to cgc for re- Holder. Looking at the bottom left corner, i don’t think a 9.2 is possible even if there are non-color breaking creases that could be pressed out. What does the forum jury think?

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not a fan of CGC so I'd sell that one.
Post 2 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Why not keep both?
Unless your question is to regrade the old label book. If that's the case and you don't see the book getting a higher grade, I'd say leave it in tbe old case. When / if the time comes to sell, it will move easier under the impression it was graded more harshly and you might get more than the stated grade.

Edit

I'm a firm believer in owning multiple copies of treasured books. I have 7 copies of amazing 194. 6 are high grade. 3 more are in pressing and grading queues.....
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector CEPubDude private msg quote post Address this user
How does it get into the 9 zone with the edge chipping shown there? Dang, if that's a 9 I should look at what mine looks like. Mine has rounded corners like that and I thought it would only get 5 because of the corner rounding.

Awesome books either way, keep them both...
Post 4 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Why not keep both?
Unless your question is to regrade the old label book. If that's the case and you don't see the book getting a higher grade, I'd say leave it in tbe old case. When / if the time comes to sell, it will move easier under the impression it was graded more harshly and you might get more than the stated grade.

Edit

I'm a firm believer in owning multiple copies of treasured books. I have 7 copies of amazing 194. 6 are high grade. 3 more are in pressing and grading queues.....
@Bronte - hoarder
Post 5 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Keep the color touch book, convince yourself that Stan did the color touch when he signed the book. If you sell at all, sell the other one as-is in the original CGC label. Nothing good is going to come from trying to re-holder that book...only bad things can happen.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
I would keep the unsigned copy primarily because of the color touch
Post 7 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
It's not like some kids are going hungry because I took all the books out of circulation. But yeah, you could say I hoard stuff. At least it's comics and not boxes.... well crsp.... I'm screwed I have tons of empty boxes too.... 🙃
Post 8 IP   flag post
Here are the notes on the VSP

several small color touch spots right front cover, some bleed
small edge & corner wear
small tear right front cover
indent middle spine edge
Post 9 IP   flag post
@CEPubDude - the VSP has a rounede bottom rt corner snd a small tear on the cover. Silver and golden age get a break on grading.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@Bronte - auction on the cgc ended tonight so i wont have on hand to inspect for a couple of weeks. The thing that attracts me to it over the CBCS is the cover alignment.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator I'd keep both.

And I'd keep that old label cgc in the old label.
I've a few old labels and I keep them and don't re-holder them.

There are some collectors who go for books in old holders as pressing wasn't rampant when they were graded.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I hold on to stuff for super stupid reasons. So I'm the wrong person to ask. Remember in real life i actually am a hoarder.

Personally if you aren't hurting for money keep it. It's not like it's going to lose value. In 6 months you'll look back on this thread and say damn I can't believe I got the book for x amount and it's now worth x + z amount....
Post 13 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Keep both
Post 14 IP   flag post
Ahhh... Old guys get a mulligan... That's cool. 9's for everybody.

How much are they? I paid $35 for mine back in 1987.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEPubDude
Ahhh... Old guys get a mulligan... That's cool. 9's for everybody.

How much are they? I paid $35 for mine back in 1987.

I paid cover price when it came out.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
I'd keep both unless I really Really needed the cash.

I would leave the CGC book as-is. Like @EbayMafia said, nothing good can come of getting that book re-holdered.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I tend to sell doubles also.
However, I see these two as "two different entities".
Therefore, speaking as a general collector, I would also do what many have already stated - keep both. And that is because I do see these as two different books (in a sense)
Post 18 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I tend to sell doubles also.
However, I see these two as "two different entities".
Therefore, speaking as a general collector, I would also do what many have already stated - keep both. And that is because I do see these as two different books (in a sense)

I tend to look at it the same way. I do the same thing if I have a direct edition and a newsstand edition: Two different books.
Post 19 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
PSA: Silver Surfer was solely Jack Kirby's creation.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@GAC “ yes bad wording on my part. Really was trying to say Lee held te creative and story line reigns until he finally let John Byrne in with the standalone one shot in 1982.
Post 21 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator cheers!!

If keeping both is an option that's what I would do. Those books are too good not to keep them both.
Post 22 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
I would look for a third!
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMorse

@WMorse - ...and then torture us with a week long unboxing!
Post 24 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMorse

@WMorse - ...and then torture us with a week long unboxing!

It's been awhile...
Post 25 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Just throwing it out there, silver surfer is heavily rumored to be in the guardians of the galaxy holiday special this year, maybe hold until then. That's what I'm doing for my duplicate ss keys
Post 26 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
cgc might give a worst grade....damage the comic....damage the slab....or send you a random silver surfer comic with a signature of a random guy who saw rise of the silver surfer 3 times
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by power_struggle55
cgc might give a worst grade....damage the comic....damage the slab....or send you a random silver surfer comic with a signature of a random guy who saw rise of the silver surfer 3 times

@power_struggle55 - I am no fan of cgc, which is why I would only consider a Re-Holder from them. Love your Hulk Smash style comment.
Post 28 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEPubDude
How does it get into the 9 zone with the edge chipping shown there? Dang, if that's a 9 I should look at what mine looks like. Mine has rounded corners like that and I thought it would only get 5 because of the corner rounding.

Awesome books either way, keep them both...

It looks over graded to me to.

@Scifinator
Sell both and take the cash and get one you really want.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Yes, the King created Silver Surfer. I absolutely adore anything he worked on. However, Big John Buscema made Surfer "Real" for me. You know what I mean?

Too bad Big John and the King couldn't have collaborated directly together on follow ups. The King creating the universe of outstanding imagination and Big J putting that universe into a realism the 60's was so patiemtly yearning for. John was on the forefront with of making "funny pages" into Frazetta like intense artwork. Yes, the talent of these two was simply incredible as innovators for that time in comics.

All for $50 bucks a page....

So much talent in that time transforming the comics world...
Post 30 IP   flag post
598003 41 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?