Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Restoration and Conservation

Restoration Checking Tools--Black Light?1785

Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
Any recommendations for a black light to check for restoration? Or is there a better tool that the pros use to check for restoration? Thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user
Uv light (same thing) like the flashlight style may work best I hear blacklight and I automatically think the big black bar for some reason.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I use the flashlight type with polarized glasses. You can get online both for under $40. The one I use is from Tracer Products. Model #TP8640CS. Called Optimax JR.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@BigRig @BrianGreensnips Thanks, guys!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Johnnylray private msg quote post Address this user
When you talk about UV light reminds me of this funny CSI spoof video..
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Pro-tip, don't shine the UV light around the front seat of your car unless you want to be grossed out. 😉
Post 6 IP   flag post
@DarthLego Thanks. Take a look at the bottom of the K on this Hulk 181 and tell me what you think this is. Is it a smudge?

Post 7 IP   flag post
Hard to tell through the mylar.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Despain might need a better view or angle.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
I've used this and it works really well.

UV Blacklight Flashlight
Post 10 IP   flag post
@DarthLego @BrianGreensnips My scanner is jacked, so I tried taking a pic with my digital camera. Sorry for the bad angle.

@D84 That is awesome. Have you used one? Will it show if a comic has color touch? Thanks in advance.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
I've caught a color touch with it. It was on a book I already knew was restored, but it showed me exact locations.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Here is a better picture of the Hulk 181, spot on cover, I am questioning. Opinions? Click on the picture. It may show a better quality. Thanks!

Post 13 IP   flag post
Looks like something was wiped off and left a stain or smudged the ink. Or maybe a bad color touch got smudged? I'm no expert though.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Looks like something was wiped off and left a stain or smudged the ink. Or maybe a bad color touch got smudged? I'm no expert though.

Yeah. When I lightly rub my finger across the paper, the paper feels a bit thinner in that area. I'm guessing it's some type of moisture damage.
Post 15 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Keep in mind that black light will not pickup all types of ink. It is one of many tools, but not 100% by any means.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Keep in mind that black light will not pickup all types of ink. It is one of many tools, but not 100% by any means.

Thanks. What are the many other tools?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despain
What are the many other tools?

Shhhh, ancient Chinese secret.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Pancakes.
Post 19 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
Pancakes.

I can just see everyone looking for restoration like a pro now..
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
That is an awesome picture.

Disturbing, but awesome.
Post 21 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

A trained eye.
Various levels of magnifiers.
High intensity lights.

To name a few, but the trained eye is the best tool of all.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

A trained eye.
High intensity lights.

Thanks so much for sharing that info. I posted a picture of my Hulk 181, a few posts above in this thread, that I've owned since 1989/1990. That particular spot in question appears to be some type of moisture damage, and it was that way when I received it. I know you don't have the comic in hand, but do you have an educated guess? Thanks!
Post 23 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@Despain looks like water damage to me as well. Pretty sure Joe could pancake that defect right out pretty easily if thats the case 👍🏻

On the other note about the "color touch", its entirely possible the original owner was a fan of reading books whilst eating cheetos 😁
Post 24 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer From this time forward in the CBCS notes section it will be known as "Cheetos Damage."
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

A trained eye.
High intensity lights.

Thanks so much for sharing that info. I posted a picture of my Hulk 181, a few posts above in this thread, that I've owned since 1989/1990. That particular spot in question appears to be some type of moisture damage, and it was that way when I received it. I know you don't have the comic in hand, but do you have an educated guess? Thanks!

Open the front cover and check the page around the area in question. Anything bleed through? Does it seem raised or a different texture? I don't think it is color touch but rather an attempt to remove something and the color was lifted as I see dull areas in the black and what looks like black bleed through in the red area. If it was amateur color touch, the black would bleed through the cover and show up on the interior of the front cover.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@CFP_Comics I just mailed it with six other comics yesterday to CBCS, so I can't look at it. 😔 I was just kind of worried about it. I don't remember seeing any ink bleed on the inside cover or anything on page 1. Thanks for your help. I do appreciate it.
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Fyi you do have the option of sending cbcs an email telling them to send out that particular book to Joe@cfp when it arrives. Your TAT will double but it might be worth doing if you have the 20 bucks and some extra patience 😣

And that cheetos stain might just clean off 😆

#notcolortouch #itainteasybeincheesy
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
If I suspect a book colored touched. I usually go in this order Bleed through , Light the area up good and check at different angles, Black UV Flashlight and last I inspect the book with my loupe.

One thing I recommend if you never seen color touch is take a garbage book with a black cover and color touch it yourself with a black marker and maybe with acrylic paint if you have some laying around. Look at what the color touch looks like and the visible tell tells of the color touch.
Post 29 IP   flag post
596799 29 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?