Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Full size Arcade console...I need suggestions17847

Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Any suggestions on a full size Arcade console to go in a game room? Needs to have head-to-head, have multiple games and preferably have Joust. @Towmater, @GAC, I remember the two of you have experience in this area. Assume it's going to be the only game console in the house.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
MAME with a really nice looking front end.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
MAME with a really nice looking front end.

At this price I will probably look for a used version, but something like this?
https://www.dreamarcades.com/cabaret.php?keyword=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2MWVBhCQARIsAIjbwoPXEd6USIXjwCefCFF1YH1v3DSK-jqgBZ1DmsCmEkt7TE4_9PNq5IwaAjo0EALw_wcB
Post 3 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Find a PI4 and DIY
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThatGuy
Find a PI4 and DIY

I'm just not a DIY guy. Wish I was, but my skills are limited. It's going to need to be plug-and-play.
Post 5 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
I would recommend the most iconic arcade fighting games of the era be included if possible:

Mortal Kombat II
Marvel v. Capcom 2
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Post 6 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user

Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia They're not too hard to make if you want to try to build one yourself. I built one myself with a couple sheets of plywood, 2x4s, and arcade components like the joystick, buttons, and large track ball. The one in your link seems pretty pricey though.
Post 8 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia I bought my machines from Arcade1Up. They are 3/4 sized cabinets. I really like them as they feel like full sized old school machines but take up a little less space. The game play is great too...just as I remembered. They have the stand up machines and the infinity sit down ones too. Reasonably priced although they do go on sale sometimes at retail outlets. You have to put them together yourself but trust me, it's very easy. If you can put together Ikea cabinets, this will be easy as well.

Once built, they're lots of fun! Best of luck on your search!

If you have any other questions please let me know.
Post 9 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia This one has Joust

Joust
Post 10 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
Mortal kombat comes with first 3 games (vs wise)
TMNT comes with the classic arcade games including turtles in time (co-op wise)
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector CEPubDude private msg quote post Address this user
We have a Legends Ultimate. Bought it at Sam's club a couple years ago on sale for $450 I think. It's a fantastic cabinet. Comes with several games (like 40-50?) but my son has downloaded 100's for it. This cabinet was essential for us with the spin controllers to play Tempest. Very easy to add games with some basic know how. Just time consuming to find good working files supplied with bezel graphics.

We're looking to get a digital pinball next. Good luck.

Post 12 IP   flag post
Be cautious of some controllers on some units. Remember you get what you pay for. The controllers on our Legends have been great, not the best you can buy, but high quality enough to last for 2 years of abuse and still look like new.
I'm not sure which controllers are bad, but check reviews on YT before you buy. My son's an expert on them, and gave this one approval at the time.
The nice thing about the Legends is that if you crap out a control they are very easy to replace/upgrade. The cabinet is in 3 parts and super easy to access everything. And while it's full size, the top end is flat enough to not consume allot of head real-estate in a smaller space.

I used to have 4 full size cabinets and 2 tables from the 80's and those CRT's are heavy bastards and a pain to move. Love the nostalgia of them, but not in my house. Legends is a dream...
Post 13 IP   flag post
I'd check Aliexpress or Alibaba too if you don't mind the wait. But beware of scammers. Go only with ranked sellers with tons of sales and reviews.

This briefcase thing looks really cool.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256803752526346.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5866a2bcaJGAUK&algo_pvid=7a35f5ae-5994-4c2d-bbae-a5d71fbfc0a2&algo_exp_id=7a35f5ae-5994-4c2d-bbae-a5d71fbfc0a2-33&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2212000027515173497%22%7D&pdp_npi=2%40dis%21USD%21%21330.52%21330.52%21%21%21%21%402101d4a716559323039074295ee5b4%2112000027515173497%21sea

Post 14 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEPubDude
I'd check Aliexpress or Alibaba too if you don't mind the wait. But beware of scammers. Go only with ranked sellers with tons of sales and reviews.

This briefcase thing looks really cool.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256803752526346.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5866a2bcaJGAUK&algo_pvid=7a35f5ae-5994-4c2d-bbae-a5d71fbfc0a2&algo_exp_id=7a35f5ae-5994-4c2d-bbae-a5d71fbfc0a2-33&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2212000027515173497%22%7D&pdp_npi=2%40dis%21USD%21%21330.52%21330.52%21%21%21%21%402101d4a716559323039074295ee5b4%2112000027515173497%21sea

never buy one of those off brand sysem that claims it has hundreds on content. they are knockoffs at best or very glitchy
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
Agree with @CEPubDude get the Legends Ultimate buy a USB preloaded with CoinopsX and you’ll be good to go. With mine I swapped the Ultimate control deck with a Pro deck as my palms pressed against the spinners. It takes 2 minutes to switch back to the spinner deck when needed.

Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmonster
Agree with @CEPubDude get the Legends Ultimate buy a USB preloaded with CoinopsX and you’ll be good to go. With mine I swapped the Ultimate control deck with a Pro deck as I felt my palms would press into the spinners. It takes 2 minutes to switch back to the spinner deck when needed.

Post 17 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I would like to buy the Dragon's Lair one.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@EbayMafia I bought my machines from Arcade1Up.

Quote:
We have a Legends Ultimate. Bought it at Sam's club a couple years ago on sale for $450 I think. It's a fantastic cabinet.

Based on the suggestions, I'm leaning towards these 2 options..Arcade1Up and Legends Ultimate. The significantly larger inventory of games has me preferring Legends. Would be kind of cool to introduce my kids to some obscure games that they never knew existed.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@CEPubDude Could you give us some more information on that T-shirt we see in the reflection?
Post 20 IP   flag post
HAHA! You caught me!

Well, in order to share the secret t-shirt information I'll have to Kung-Fu YOU!
T-shirt is specially form fitted for middle aged man with "special skills" and tools (see back).
Possibly purchased at Walmart or Target? But my Clan may be the only ones to have purchased them. My Sons and I accompanied #1 grandsons second Halloween 2018 for pillaging the neighborhood of tasty treats. I was Michelangelo, Son #1 was Leonardo, #2 was Raphael and little guy was Donatello. Great times, but cold as I remember the typical Colorado Halloween.

One of my 100 or so t-shirt collection. Yes, I'm a comic junkie, arcade junkie, t-shirt junkie, shoe junkie, manga junkie, metal/punk/hardcore/deathmetal junkie. Way too many hobbies...

Post 21 IP   flag post
OK. More interesting information for your decision making. Basically Go Legend. I'll translate the best I can. My son is the expert, he mods old game systems (no cartridges required) and makes cool stuff for gaming and has spent allot of research time on the subject.

The HDMI & USB plugs on Legend are a game changer compared to ArcadeUp I'm told. So Legends allows user to plugin a preloaded usb stick as mentioned by MurMonster above. My son loads whatever he wants to onto a USB stick and plugs it in and Vwalla. Additionally HDMI switch allows an external computer like Raspberry Pi, O-Droid, or whatever you like to run thru your screen and controls with a bit of setup. There is a built in BYOG function also to load whatever ROM's you wish via Legends programming. USB stick programming is cheapest. And we have all Joust versions...

ArcadeUp is cheaper initially but apparently not friendly at all to mods like Legends. Basically you unplug everything and re-wire to your mod device which in the end costs as much as a Legend. Much more tinkering involved I guess. Not as clean as could be. Basically the consensus is only go ArcadeUp if it's an incredible deal or free or just want to figure one out for fun.

It takes a fair bit of time and trial/error to get it all done right. But a fun process that your kids will learn allot from.

Post 22 IP   flag post
Another fun project you could do with the kids is to build an O-Droid or Raspberry Pi console. My son has both and they both use RetroPi or compatible variants. Carry in your pocket to parties and plug in controllers to TV and off you go. Cost to build O-droid is about $53 (XU4) and another $5-10 for a case or print one if you have 3d printer (oh we're 3d printer junkies too).
O-droid is a bit more powerful than the Pi 4 and can run 3d games much better. But maybe newer Pi versions can do better now.

I've been looking at much cheaper Arduino alternatives that have decent potential.
D1 Mini's and ESP 8288 are $5-10 projects on Aliexpress and are a cool world of other more basic options.
I think all three of these Arduino's were less than $10 including shipping. And gadgets.... Oh my.

Oh, and the vinyl... Well that is REALLY a junkie addiction (we made that picture disc). Just wanted to show that off.

Have some free comics... Over 10k free pages. Just put $0 in the pay if you want because I'd rather have people reading than not. Monitor your kids reading though. Much blood gore and action in there. Some rated R stuff. I publish all of these books. And also letter manga for Seven Seas.

https://www.drivethrucomics.com/browse/pub/4023/CE-Publishing-Group?term=ce+pu

Thanks for reading all this dribble from an old guy...
Post 23 IP   flag post
@CEPubDude Thanks for the info. I won't be doing anything until the end of August, but this looks like a good way to go.

Quote:
One of my 100 or so t-shirt collection. Yes, I'm a comic junkie, arcade junkie, t-shirt junkie, shoe junkie, manga junkie, metal/punk/hardcore/deathmetal junkie. Way too many hobbies...

Hide the women and children! There's a man's man in the neighborhood! lol.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I just bought this.

I felt that it was too good of a deal to pass up. An entry level game to see if it is something you would like and play without a major investment.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson

I felt that it was too good of a deal to pass up. An entry level game to see if it is something you would like and play without a major investment.

I will be interested to hear your feedback on it. The price is so low that it's almost unsettling.
Post 26 IP   flag post
It's QVC blowing it out for warehouse space, plus it's an Arcade1Up machine. I already have the Arcade Legends machine in a one rental cabin. This one is going in another.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson That’s a good cabinet for the price I bought the first gen Street Fighter cabinet wish I would have waited for the one you bought.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
It's QVC blowing it out for warehouse space, plus it's an Arcade1Up machine. I already have the Arcade Legends machine in a one rental cabin. This one is going in another.

That's got to be pretty cool for the guests to have an arcade game in a rental cabin.
Post 29 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:

I will be interested to hear your feedback on it. The price is so low that it's almost unsettling.

I suggest sticking to a unit that you can enjoy head-to-head gaming on.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601426 80 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?