Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Magazines

Heavy Metal Magazine Preview / Sampler in National Lampoon, March 197717794

Collector Hiro private msg quote post Address this user
Recently picked up this copy of the March 1977 National Lampoon. Decent condition for a good price. This issue has the Heavy Metal Magazine preview / sampler in it. A full month before the first issue of Heavy Metal was released in April 1977. Been a fan, reader and sometime collector of National Lampoon and Heavy Metal for years, but didn't know this existed.

Here's a link to some info on the preview theporporbooksblog.blogspot.com

Post 1 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
How cool is that? I didn't even know that sampler existed.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Another VERY cool piece! Been a Heavy Metal Fan for many years. I still retain some of the Mags. growing up in the seventies.... Heavy Metal was always a main stay.

Ranxerox was always my favorite

Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro
Recently picked up this copy of the March 1977 National Lampoon. Decent condition for a good price. This issue has the Heavy Metal Magazine preview / sampler in it. A full month before the first issue of Heavy Metal was released in April 1977. Been a fan, reader and sometime collector of National Lampoon and Heavy Metal for years, but didn't know this existed.

Here's a link to some info on the preview theporporbooksblog.blogspot.com

I still have to do a complete cataloging to make sure, but this issue - along w/ the sampler - (was in my collection, bagged boarded and a personal opinion 9.0 easily) may have been among all the losses I had due to Hurricane Katrina.

I had almost the complete run of NatLampoon and all Heavy Metals up to 1989.

I did find some boxes that were untouched and may contain some treasures, been in storage for years now, but anything not bagged (and a lot that were) Katrina turned into multicolored moldy cheese.

A LOT of my Creepy / Eerie's / FMOF and etc. were in that group , something that makes my stomach hurt just thinking about. More than the NatLamp's and Heavy Metals, actually.

I have some left, like I said I had a few boxes untouched, but ... :cry:
Post 4 IP   flag post
@dfoster43 Dude! So sorry.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd

Yeah, thank you @Byrdibyrd you're very kind.
It's been 15 years but the feels are still there.
There is a huge list of things, mostly colletibiles and CD's, DVD's, books, magazines ... because I kept all of those things that weren't displayed on shelves in longboxes, cardboard boxes, etc. all on the 1st floor.
The first floor got about 4' of water, mud and creatures, which when subsided starting growing forests of mold and other unidentifiable swamp creatures. So much got thrown away.
SoOOOOooo you can only laugh it out.
BUT like i said, some stuff survived. So at some point I will have a "I'm gettin' too old for this shit ..." Lethal-Weapon style garage sale.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfoster43
Quote:

There is a huge list of things, mostly colletibiles and CD's, DVD's, books, magazines ... because I kept all of those things that weren't displayed on shelves in longboxes, cardboard boxes, etc. all on the 1st floor.
The first floor got about 4' of water, mud and creatures, which when subsided starting growing forests of mold and other unidentifiable swamp creatures. So much got thrown away.
BUT like i said, some stuff survived. So at some point I will have a "I'm gettin' too old for this shit ..." Lethal-Weapon style garage sale.

I wish I could help. I've had some close calls (mostly involving fire) but I have yet to lose that much. Katrina was just horrific. Honestly, I think the water, mud, and little monsters is just as bad as the bare scorched earth and rubble after a fire. No matter where you live there's always something to contend with, but unfortunately that doesn't make it any easier.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I wish I could help. I've had some close calls (mostly involving fire) but I have yet to lose that much. Katrina was just horrific. Honestly, I think the water, mud, and little monsters is just as bad as the bare scorched earth and rubble after a fire. No matter where you live there's always something to contend with, but unfortunately that doesn't make it any easier.

Yep, thanks @Byrdibyrd .
Katrina was truly life-altering suckage.
It literally changed the entire direction of my life.
Ultimately so does every breath we take, though, I guess. And more than a little good came out of it, as I wouldn't have met my wife had I not moved several times afterwards.
Losing "stuff" can happen in myriad of ways.
The aftermath of the incident itself can be more traumatic than just losing 'stuff', and here I am 15 years later, older, no wiser however
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yep, thanks @Byrdibyrd .
Ultimately so does every breath we take, though, I guess. And more than a little good came out of it, as I wouldn't have met my wife had I not moved several times afterwards.
The aftermath of the incident itself can be more traumatic than just losing 'stuff', and here I am 15 years later, older, no wiser however

Every disaster experienced (physical or psychological) brings about change. Some of it can't be helped (the things we lose), but some of it is dependent upon how we process the changes. I still have issues with losing my house in the Tea Fire (I was fortunate to have had very little personal property there - it had been my father's and he had recently passed away, so I lost a lot of his things), but beyond that I'm doing pretty well. It's best to do as you're doing and focus on the better part rather than obsess on what could have been. Easy to say, tough to do, but we all just do our best and try to get help when our best isn't doing well enough.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yep, thanks @Byrdibyrd .

Every disaster experienced (physical or psychological) brings about change. Some of it can't be helped (the things we lose), but some of it is dependent upon how we process the changes. I still have issues with losing my house in the Tea Fire (I was fortunate to have had very little personal property there - it had been my father's and he had recently passed away, so I lost a lot of his things), but beyond that I'm doing pretty well. It's best to do as you're doing and focus on the better part rather than obsess on what could have been. Easy to say, tough to do, but we all just do our best and try to get help when our best isn't doing well enough.

Well said, thank you for taking the time to comment. commiseration can be a good thing. I'm sorry you went thru that loss too. We learn what's important and what's fleeting, that's for sure.

But yeah as I've learned "life goes on" can be a throwaway cliche or a deep, poignant idiomatic profundity, I guess either way works
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yep, thanks @Byrdibyrd .

Well said, thank you for taking the time to comment. commiseration can be a good thing. I'm sorry you went thru that loss too. We learn what's important and what's fleeting, that's for sure.

But yeah as I've learned "life goes on" can be a throwaway cliche or a deep, poignant idiomatic profundity, I guess either way works

Post 11 IP   flag post
600884 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?