CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Pop Culture

Holy Moly! Back to the Future VHS sets record price!17778

Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Closer to NFTs.

Or, closer to graded video game cartridges.
Post 26 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
Quote:
Closer to NFTs.

They are the obvious but consider that video game cartridges are often the “original” introduction of a game to the world. Very different from VHS releases. I’d love to have an original arcade pac man or something too…

In any case, the NFT comparison is purchasing for sake of future value, often of a representation of something else (not always).
Post 27 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Closer to NFTs.

They are the obvious but consider that video game cartridges are often the “original” introduction of a game to the world. Very different from VHS releases. I’d love to have an original arcade pac man or something too…

In any case, the NFT comparison is purchasing for sake of future value, often of a representation of something else (not always).
why I liquidated the majority of my video game collection. Most games are available on multiple platforms or ported at some point. I can literally play any of those games digitally and I still have the gains of selling at peak value👍🏻

I deem value of games based on playability. Nintendo is the worst so to speak. Nintendo will destroy you if you mess with there intellectual properties and when they rerelease a title on a newer platform it is usually a let down as they don’t properly port their own titles. They end up buggy, poor quality or promises unkept. That in turn creates value due to there being only one way to play and enjoy that game (legally).

I couldn’t count how many times we bought or rented a VHS and the tape snapped during regular play.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
They are the obvious but consider that video game cartridges are often the “original” introduction of a game to the world.

Most early home game cartridges were arcade ports. Think Mario Bros.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Yes, covered by “often” and also by my comment re: original arcade units.

Quote:
Quote:
They are the obvious but consider that video game cartridges are often the “original” introduction of a game to the world.

Most early home game cartridges were arcade ports. Think Mario Bros.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Post 31 IP   flag post
Ya know, I actually think of you as a Michael Scott type.

Fitting.

Quote:

Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:

Fitting.

I don’t think of you at all.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Closer to NFTs.

why I liquidated the majority of my video game collection. Most games are available on multiple platforms or ported at some point. I can literally play any of those games digitally and I still have the gains of selling at peak value👍🏻

I deem value of games based on playability. Nintendo is the worst so to speak. Nintendo will destroy you if you mess with there intellectual properties and when they rerelease a title on a newer platform it is usually a let down as they don’t properly port their own titles. They end up buggy, poor quality or promises unkept. That in turn creates value due to there being only one way to play and enjoy that game (legally).

I couldn’t count how many times we bought or rented a VHS and the tape snapped during regular play.

I have some original NES games, boxes and all, along with Atari, and the systems. I actually figured 20+ years ago that old games and systems would have value. Electronics are a perfect example of “initial discard, later collect” since they devalue so quickly.

Never would have anticipated the degree of appreciation. But that is a bubble for you…

Smart to exit even if it has some legs left. When the focus turns to slicing a market 50 ways to get scarcity, there is a problem.
Post 34 IP   flag post
That blank space in your head shows in the quality of your replies.

Quote:
Quote:

Fitting.

Post 35 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
I think something like this is the more likely explanation

Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Haljordanfan private msg quote post Address this user
@CaptainCanuck @Davethebrave

Not sure if you two dislike each other or it’s just a show, but either way both comments made me chuckle.

Thanks for that!
Post 37 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Closer to NFTs.

I think there is the legitimate argument that VHS was really the first opportunity for the average person to own a movie. And that was a big deal. You weren't just renting or watching a movie, you were owning it. We had pride of ownership and your collection was a representation of your tastes, much like a comic book collection. On the other hand, I totally agree with the intrinsic value vs. potential value. As platforms changed, most folks established that the VHS tape itself had no intrinsic value to them as they were thrown out or given away en masse. We never saw that with comic books, where reprints, TPB's or electronic versions caused folks to donate their long-held original comic books or toss them out.
Post 38 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia the difference to me is an iconic game like Super Mario Bros, which defined a genre for decades to come, was first played and available as a console cartridge. So it was the direct and original product.

A VHS tape enabled home viewing, sure. But that (for me) makes the first VHS copies ever produced the interesting copies.

I don’t dismiss it as uncollectible. Just feels too distant from the original art. Add to that the layers of “condition” to get to these values, applied essentially to the box (since as others said, the tape itself is not verifiable and may be degraded) and it feels like a coattails market.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Fitting.

That blank space in your head shows in the quality of your replies.

I see you’ve resorted to personal attacks. This isn’t that type of forum.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:
When the focus turns to slicing a market 50 ways to get scarcity, there is a problem.

This is one of those truisms about collectibles that gets dismissed from time but in hindsight always ends up being a red flag.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Now, where to play that VHS tape? $100,000 NIB VHS machine?
Post 42 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Now, where to play that VHS tape? $100,000 NIB VHS machine?
they are asking way too little clickable text
Post 43 IP   flag post
I'm a McNugget guzzler. HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve never seen Back to the future or know the characters but I heard today the tape was owned by Biff? and was given to him by the production company. Maybe that raised its value?
Post 44 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
I’ve never seen Back to the future

Bro???
Post 45 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@HeinzDad
McFly...Hello....
Worth the watch...
Post 46 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Watch it! It's so much fun!
Post 47 IP   flag post
I'm a McNugget guzzler. HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Is it bad then that I don’t understand everyone copulating over Top Gun 2? Never saw the first one.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
Is it bad then that I don’t understand everyone copulating over Top Gun 2? Never saw the first one.

What? An entire generation of young men had their T-levels temporarily boosted by that movie. That may explain all the copulation, by the way.
Post 49 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Top gun had some of tbe best aerial photography ever. Top gun maverick upped the game with extremely nice photography as well. The plots are ok. But to me the main draw was the awesome views. Almost all real effects no cgi.

I gotta admit I an a huge F14 fan so I loved both films.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Got this at an estate sale...who knows... Still in the original wrap with the stickers indicating this was a McDonalds purchased VHS as part of some McD's promotional thing in the early 90s. But, the VHS is the original 1989 release of the movie.
Post 51 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
It looks like Beckett has acquired VHSDNA. Maybe I'll send one of my copies of Bushwacked in for grading.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
@etapi65

Post 53 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
at heroes con there was a vender selling graded/still in the shrink wrap of a bunch of vhs tapes for thousands of dollars.

I mean there were rare like a "How to play pokemon trading card game" instructional video that was never meant for resale
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito
@etapi65

@the420bandito The reference is trapped inside an unopened shrink wrapped box.
Post 55 IP   flag post
616244 69 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?