Holy Moly! Back to the Future VHS sets record price!17778

The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Sold for $75,000!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Briten private msg quote post Address this user
But why?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Forget the Sports Almanac. Go back in time and buy up these VHS tapes.

Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector SlayerRick710 private msg quote post Address this user
Wow I know the original star wars trilogy before Lucas changed them are worth a pretty penny too
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briten
But why?

Why are comic books worth money? People collect the things they love and pay good money for the rare and desirable pieces.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
What are my sealed Start Trek VHS tapes worth?

Probably nothing and I should be grateful šŸ¤£

Post 6 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
The label states that this particular tape is from the Tom Wilson collection. He's the actor who played Biff Tannen in the series. That might have something to do with the high price.
Post 7 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Why? Was there something special about this copy? They are all over rthe internet sealed for 10.00.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
The label states that this particular tape is from the Tom Wilson collection. He's the actor who played Biff Tannen in the series. That might have something to do with the high price.

If I ever meet him, I'll gift him a copy and then ask to buy it back =)
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967

Well that's very nice, that's very interesting. Now why don't you make like a tree, and get out of here?
Post 10 IP   flag post
A Goonies VHS sold for $50,000.

Post 11 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Hello? Hello? Anybody home? Huh? Think, @robertofredrico. Think!

šŸ˜„
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Mmanick private msg quote post Address this user
These are only for unopened VHS's right ?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
anyone grading laserdiscs yet?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Anyone grading unwanted family members?
Post 15 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@southerncross

I've got 2 adults I caretake for. Does that count?

On tbe pain in the ass scale I'd say about a 7.5 for each
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Haljordanfan private msg quote post Address this user
Iā€™ve recently finished sorting/selling a collection of comics and am 1/2 way through a large SCIFI collection. Same family had a 3000 plus VHS collection in a spare room. Guess itā€™s time that I look into that.
Post 17 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
given the changes the vhs market has seen, I couldn't resist picking this up a couple weeks ago at a flea market. now to grade it. I know nothing of the grading scale but the shrink wrap is pretty solid.

Post 18 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Some people just have nothing better to do with their money! VHS quality sucks and the cover artwork is nothing special. To each their own, but...I see absolutely no appeal to this lunacy!!
Post 19 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Just like people used to say about comics years and years ago.

VHS/Beta is the first time major motion pictures were made available to be owned by the public. There is obviously a market and one that people are willing to pay for.

People collect anything and everything. Sometimes for financial opportunistic reasons and sometimes because it makes them happy....sometimes both. It is what it is.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user

Post 21 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
On average, tapes degrade 10-20% over 10 to 25 years.
Post 22 IP   flag post
I called CGC about the giveback benefit. beastboy1980 private msg quote post Address this user
i dont get it
Post 23 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@sborock Shazam!!!! whodathunk....
Post 24 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
For me the difference is the nature of the art. For comic books the representation feels more direct. The art, story, all first revealed through the physical books. The ā€œmedium is the message,ā€ so to speak. Owning a slice of that but also enjoying the direct representation (somewhat less so after slabbing)ā€¦

For sealed VHS tapes it feels a step removed. The movies were released in theaters, that was the original consumption. VHS sealed box collectability feels a bit too derivative of the original art.

Closer to NFTs.

I still appreciate collectability but no strong personal interest. I see the balance here more likely skewing strongly towards ā€œcollecting for future value appreciationā€ than intrinsic value of the collectible itself. Comics is a mix (depending on era, hype and trend) but this ā€¦ I am more skeptical of intrinsic demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Just like people used to say about comics years and years ago.

VHS/Beta is the first time major motion pictures were made available to be owned by the public. There is obviously a market and one that people are willing to pay for.

People collect anything and everything. Sometimes for financial opportunistic reasons and sometimes because it makes them happy....sometimes both. It is what it is.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Closer to NFTs.

Or, closer to graded video game cartridges.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
Quote:
Closer to NFTs.

They are the obvious but consider that video game cartridges are often the ā€œoriginalā€ introduction of a game to the world. Very different from VHS releases. Iā€™d love to have an original arcade pac man or something tooā€¦

In any case, the NFT comparison is purchasing for sake of future value, often of a representation of something else (not always).
Post 27 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Closer to NFTs.

They are the obvious but consider that video game cartridges are often the ā€œoriginalā€ introduction of a game to the world. Very different from VHS releases. Iā€™d love to have an original arcade pac man or something tooā€¦

In any case, the NFT comparison is purchasing for sake of future value, often of a representation of something else (not always).
why I liquidated the majority of my video game collection. Most games are available on multiple platforms or ported at some point. I can literally play any of those games digitally and I still have the gains of selling at peak valuešŸ‘šŸ»

I deem value of games based on playability. Nintendo is the worst so to speak. Nintendo will destroy you if you mess with there intellectual properties and when they rerelease a title on a newer platform it is usually a let down as they donā€™t properly port their own titles. They end up buggy, poor quality or promises unkept. That in turn creates value due to there being only one way to play and enjoy that game (legally).

I couldnā€™t count how many times we bought or rented a VHS and the tape snapped during regular play.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
They are the obvious but consider that video game cartridges are often the ā€œoriginalā€ introduction of a game to the world.

Most early home game cartridges were arcade ports. Think Mario Bros.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Yes, covered by ā€œoftenā€ and also by my comment re: original arcade units.

Quote:
Quote:
They are the obvious but consider that video game cartridges are often the ā€œoriginalā€ introduction of a game to the world.

Most early home game cartridges were arcade ports. Think Mario Bros.
Post 30 IP   flag post
615425 69 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?