Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden AgeRaw Comics For Sale

Margie Comics #48 Mycomicshop Auction GOLDEN AGE TIMELY GGA CLASSIC COVER17751

Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
I have this one book in MCS's auction , starting June 6th...a Golden Age Timely GGA book, and judging by the scan and the graders note supplied by MCS, I'd bet it'd get about a 2,5 to 3.0 if subbed to CBCS or CGC....or likely a 4.0 if pressed.

Margie Comics (1946) 48 GD 2.0

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=55530722

Look at dem gams on dis broad, fellas!

I bought this book from MCS a few months ago, had them hold it for consignment instead of shipping it to me and it's the only raw book I have at MCS, and with the only other sale in MCS sales history being a PR .5 at more than what I paid for the 2.0, I figured I would let it rip in auction.

Only other available copy on the internet fas as I can see is a MCS .5 at $68 on mycomicshop.com with a mirrored listing on eBay at around $75.

Scan of the FC of the undergraded 2.0 book coming to auction on the 6th, this week, have a look.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Bumpity-bump.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@ComicHoarder if you paid sales tax, looks like you are almost at break even. I will probably give a price bump if it stays low. I could think of worse things to spend $35 on than a rarely seen comic book from 1946.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicHoarder
I have this one book in MCS's auction , starting June 6th...a Golden Age Timely GGA book, and judging by the scan and the graders note supplied by MCS, I'd bet it'd get about a 2,5 to 3.0 if subbed to CBCS or CGC....or likely a 4.0 if pressed. Margie Comics (1946) 48 GD 2.0

Even with a press, I don't think it'll reach 4.0. It seems 2.0 is a fair grade considering the the popped staple, multiple color breaking creases, and what looks like a large tear by the top staple.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia

Yeah, I saw it pop up in my saved search list email notification and snapped it up right away at that price.

And yeah, I paid sales tax on it but I think I'll do more than break even on it, most bidders wait til the last day or even the last minutes, to bid.

@50AE_DE

Got it, you want the bids to stay low so you can snipe it towards the end of the auction to win it on the cheap

The book is definitely better than a 2.0, MCS is notorious for hammering grades, especially on GA books.

WRT the defects you noted, none of them prohibit a book from a 4.0.

I've seen books w/1 staple detached at the cover in CGC 4.0 thru 6.0 slabs, there was a thread over on the CGC forum about this topics a while back, slabbed examples were posted.

I think it'd likely get a 3.0 from CGC or CBCS, as is.

And a 3.5 to a 4.0, if dry cleaned and pressed by a competent presser.

While a 4.0 may be a bit overzealous in my part, if you look at the creases on the bottom of the book they are relegated to the bottom right corner area. None of them are heavy creases, they barely break color.

But the biggest tip off is the white framed area of the front cover is cirtually free of any dirt lines...dirt lines on a white cover area are a dead giveaway that a cover has deep folds/creases which have acted as dirt depositories, over time.

This book has no such dirt lines, and books with such specific areas of soiling are the norm in 2.0 slabbed GA books.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@ComicHoarder I think I have a couple issues from that series. Not a big fan of the series. I'm more of a Feldstein Junior Comics guy. The gams are emphasized much more.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@ComicHoarder FYI - I have bought with MCS for many years. Extremely rare (but not impossible) that a low grade GA book get that high a grade bump - normally only 1 grade bump

And no - I am not trying to talk down to bid it low
Post 7 IP   flag post
I would be surprised if it didn’t get 3.0 as is. Not sure if there would be value in pressing.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@50AE_DE

Yeah, no doubt...the Feldstein Junior's are certainly a doozy and a half.

But wait...just, wuuut???

"...I think I have a couple issues from that series..."

Well, dang....you must have a pretty impressive GGA book collection if you think you have a few Margie's but aren't sure....aaaand, yes, that's said with a bit of jealousy tbh, but really...how do you not know?

It's not like you can waltz into a LCS and pick up GGA books all that often.

That said, any book that has a caption that starts off with a "candy stripper" girl in a movie theater on the cover saying, "hey, fellas...", will draw me in...and while her gams aren't featured prominently on the cover of this particular issue*, I think a bit of subtle hint of their hmmm , power, so to speak, along with the bunch of gents in the background with red 's flying over their heads, has a flair that rivals more any other "gams on lurid display" type of cover.

Annie Oakley #2 is another example of the IMHO, underappreciated cover theme of punch drunk gents swooning over a leggy dame with red 's gloating over their heads....here's a FC scan of my copy of that book and the issue credits from MCS.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=327621

That said, check out the cover gallery of other issues in this Margie run, about 60% of the run has very leggy covers, with #49 as a personal fav of mine:

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?IID=7654561

Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
@ComicHoarder FYI - I have bought with MCS for many years. Extremely rare (but not impossible) that a low grade GA book get that high a grade bump - normally only 1 grade bump

And no - I am not trying to talk down to bid it low

Actually, we're in agreement....MCS seems to grade about a half point or a point higher on average when it comes to GA books.

I called this Margie 48 a likely 3.0 as is, if straight subbed to CGC or CBCS....or a 3.5/4.0 if pressed and cleaned before subbing.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
I would be surprised if it didn’t get 3.0 as is. Not sure if there would be value in pressing.

Pressing would tighten up the spine, aiding in structural integrity over the long term.

Depends what you mean by value.

I'd say it's a good idea to press virtually any book, but not a good idea to use "traditional" dry cleaning methods, as dry cleanig will invariably strip away some cover gloss in the process of removing stubborn dirt layers.

On my PC books, I don't do any cleaning past simply rubbing my index finger over the covers,along with a kleenex and a very soft makeup or shaving brush. I'll also occasionally use some Absorene putty, to remove surface dirt.....but that turns into an hour project quickly.

This allows you to get most of the surface dirt off the covers, without stripping any gloss.

Traditional dry cleaning with erasers is a much less time consuming process and it will invariably produce a "cleaner" book, but it will also strip away surface gloss and that weakens paper health.

That said, this Margie 48 would fare just as well grade wise bump IMHO with my (slow) but not invasive dry cleaning method and a press as the book isn't heavily soiled to begin with, as it would fare grade wise bumpage with a traditional slam bang thank ya maam, heavy handed "traditional" dry cleaning + press.

But I digress hahah...
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
@50AE_DE

Yeah, no doubt...the Feldstein Junior's are certainly a doozy and a half.

But wait...just, wuuut???

"...I think I have a couple issues from that series..."

Well, dang....you must have a pretty impressive GGA book collection if you think you have a few Margie's but aren't sure....aaaand, yes, that's said with a bit of jealousy tbh, but really...how do you not know?

It's not like you can waltz into a LCS and pick up GGA books all that often.

I was chasing a comic theme and Margie had a few covers that had the theme I was chasing. My GGA collection is okay, but I'm always adding to it whenever I can.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Auction for this undergraded Margie #48 MCS 2.0 (think CGC or CBCS 3.0, without a press or 3.5/4.0 if pressed) is ending tonight with a soft hammer* close at around 9:35 PM eastern.

Current high bid is at $40.

Only other available copy on the internet of this book is a IMCOMPLETE .5 copy with a detached and pretty ragged cover and shot spine.from MCS at $61.00. That book was priced around $95 on eBay by MCS when I first had their 2.0 copy consigned, it was dropped from $68 to $61, when this auction started.
[/b]

Here's a link to the Poor .5 copy at an Andrew Jackson higher than the current bid for my nicer and complete copy about to end in under 2 hours... which again, that .5 is a raggy book and is missing multiple pages, unlike the undergraded MCS 2.0 ending in auction tonight.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?IID=7654541#53931116

I originally priced the MCS 2.0 book at $150/BO in consignment and dropped it to $48 a couple weeks ago, as that is what the book cost me with sales tax & 28% income tax factored in.

A minute or so after I dropped it to $48, I figured I'd rather post it in auction than just get my money back on it so I had it ended on ebay and marked for auction....but welp,I hope I don't regret that choice ...either way, good luck to all bidders

*Any bids entered in the last 2 (or 5 minutes, I cant remember offhand) minutes of the end of the auction will extend the auction by another 2 to 5 minutes.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Auction for this undergraded Margie #48 MCS 2.0 (think CGC or CBCS 3.0, without a press or 3.5/4.0 if pressed) is ending tonight with a soft hammer* close at around 9:35 PM eastern.

Only other available copy on the internet of this book is a IMCOMPLETE .5 copy with a detached and pretty ragged cover and shot spine.from MCS at $61.00. That book was priced around $95 on eBay by MCS when I first had their 2.0 copy consigned, it was dropped from $68 to $61, when this auction started.
[/b]

Here's a link to the Poor .5 copy at an Andrew Jackson higher than the current bid for my nicer and complete copy about to end in under 2 hours... which again, that .5 is a raggy book and is missing multiple pages, unlike the undergraded MCS 2.0 ending in auction tonight.

I originally priced the MCS 2.0 book at $150/BO in consignment and dropped it to $48 a couple weeks ago, as that is what the book cost me with sales tax & 28% income tax factored in.

A minute or so after I dropped it to $48, I figured I'd rather post it in auction than just get my money back on it so I had it ended on ebay and marked for auction....but welp,I hope I don't regret that choice ...either way, good luck to all bidders

*Any bids entered in the last 2 (or 5 minutes, I cant remember offhand) minutes of the end of the auction will extend the auction by another 2 to 5 minutes.

Ended at $40 - tough - but it is a hard book to sell
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:

[/b]

Ended at $40 - tough - but it is a hard book to sell

Strange that this book has more Mycomicshop want list requests than pretty much any other issue in that title

A raw mid grade (a bit nicer than this copy) sold on ebay in auction for like $80 or so a couple months ago.

After the $7 MCS consignment fee and the 28% capital gain tax I'll get hit with later, I'll actually lose $8 on this book. And that was after I posted a link to it here, LOL.

But GGA books are weird....they have to be Nellie, Millie, Showgirls, Sailor Sweeney et al.... and in solid VG or better, to really sell well. VG/FN is the sweet spot for GGA books, from what I've seen watching them for the past couple years.

I've seen crazy high auctions for DeCarlo Millie's in particular, from blissard and comix4less, but take the same book that sold in auction for $300 at VG+ and it'll take 6+ months to sell at $45 in GD.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:

Strange that[b] this book has more Mycomicshop want list requests than pretty much any other issue in that title[/b]

Not true. This cover is 12th out of 15 issues in request for that series. It is on 10 want lists but the 11 books ahead of it have more.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
Quote:

Strange that[b] this book has more Mycomicshop want list requests than pretty much any other issue in that title[/b]

Not true. This cover is 12th out of 15 issues in request for that series. It is on 10 want lists but the 11 books ahead of it have more.

I said "pretty much", because I didn't do an actual count but I just did.

There's 15 issues in this series listed on Mycomicshop,

Marrgie #48 has 10 want listers.

That puts it at the #6 spot, tied with #40, which also has 10 want listers.

"Pretty much" wasn't a good choice of words, but it does have more want listers than the majority of the other 15 issues.
Post 17 IP   flag post
lol, this thread.
Post 18 IP   flag post
600882 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?