Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

What would you rather have/pay more for?17736

Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Assuming the cover and alignment were about the same, would you pay more for:

Fantastic Four #48 - CBCS 9.0 Conserved (Professional staples replaced)

Or

Fantastic Four #48 - CBCS 9.2 Restored (Professional Small amount of color touch on cover)
Post 1 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
That's a tough one. I'd probably go conserved rather than restored.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
You might be able to remove the color touch, no? Reversing the restoration?

If you remove the staples and the pages are loose, what does a book grade?
Post 3 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
It would all be based on eye appeal.
Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I would choose the 9.2R only because of why the other is Conserved; replaced staples. CT can be removed.
Post 5 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
If the color touch bothered you enough to have it removed, then I'd buy the one with the replaced staples. It is professional color touch, so it's not like it was crayon or sharpie.
Post 6 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
I vote Conserved (by a significant margin). Staples replaced and conserved means period correct staples, professionally done. Not a part of the artwork (unlike color touch).

CT removal… you don’t really know what it will look like after removal or if it will be removed successfully.
Post 7 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
I would rather have the least expensive specimen. Although I'd prefer neither and keep hunting for the best original copy I could afford.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@Drogio - probably less than 1.0 with no staples. Staples were professionally replaced not added
Post 9 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
Stick with the CBCS blue label. Seriously though, this is a tough one and I guess it is based on what is most important to you.
Post 10 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Odds are (at the grade level) that the replaced staples were rusting. The “conservation” is removing rusty staples to avoid further damage.

To use a collector car analogy, replaced staples is similar to replacing tires. So long as the replacement is period and type correct, limited or no impact on value. Tire rubber can be preserved but driving a car on most aged tires a) reduces the actual utility of the car and b) risks further damage. Driving on tires with dry rot just to have the oem rubber in place is dumb. In the majority of cases the impact on collector value is virtually zero…

Painting some panels (“color touch”) or swapping some interior components for upgrades (“pieces added”) is not conserving or retaining original utility.

I would LOVE to find a nice copy of a valuable book, noted as conserved with replaced staples. FMV is probably 60-70% of “Universal” label. I might personally view the value as 95% of “Universal” label so anything between “market” and 95% personal value is “gravy.”
Post 11 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Staple replacement, I think it's up to 6.0 and less that you can replace staples with vintage staples of that era and not get a conserved so get the conserved.

Read it and pass it around the family to read then replace the staples and get a blue label up to 6.0

Just joking.

Depends on the color touch. And how much.
If that can be removed and the book drop to say a 7-8 that's higher grade then replacing the staples with vintage ones and passing it around the family.

Yeah I've had a few 🍺🍺
Post 12 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Neither. Be patient and find an unrestored copy with your trade credit.
In the meantime, check something else off your list of wants.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Being the only 2 options, both “professional” work and they are of equal eye appeal; I’d still lean toward “Conserved”.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Pretty damn impressive that these guys can spot replacement staples from the same period. I always wonder why a 9.0 is so much more valuable to the industry than, say an 8.0. Just supply numbers I guess for the majority of us.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Pretty damn impressive that these guys can spot replacement staples from the same period. I always wonder why a 9.0 is so much more valuable to the industry than, say an 8.0. Just supply numbers I guess for the majority of us.
I assume a “professional” would be able to replace staples without causing/furthering damage to the staples holes and would be able to do so while creating a secure contact so the wraps aren’t loose. My assumption is that staple replacement is detectable by either the indents caused by the original and replacement staples or some kind of machine mark on the staples only caused by the original production that is not duplicated in the replacement process or a combination of both. My theory is solely based on speculation and lacks any sound fact to back it 👍🏻
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Hard pass on both. Universal or bust. I’d rather have a 4.0 Universal.
Post 17 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
I don't collect graded books but conserved / restored don't really make a difference for me if it was for my PC. So I would pick the cheapest.

Now if I was going to be selling it I would choose whatever one is going to make the most $$$$

Then there would be option c:
The raw one I picked up at a garage sale for a buck 😉
Post 18 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
Neither. Be patient and find an unrestored copy with your trade credit.
In the meantime, check something else off your list of wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Hard pass on both. Universal or bust. I’d rather have a 4.0 Universal.

Ditto
Post 19 IP   flag post
601275 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?