Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

New to Your Collection #1417728

I award you no points… stanley_1883 private msg quote post Address this user
Not a comic book but still pretty damn cool. Antique Mall find

Post 76 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user

Other than an insane amount of modern Independent common issues in multiples, these are some of the books that were squirreled away in a hoarders house that I am helping to unload some of his stuff. The golden age just mixed in, no bags mostly, or boards. Randomly placed. Precious few cool books so far, seems he mainly hoarded the stuff others did not like, and what keys he had, were mostly gone long ago, by his more savvy friends.
You never know though, still 499,000 books yet to go! If he lets me look, that is.
The Marvels were under some boxes,loose, no boards, but did have bags. Survived being yanked out, one by one. Thought I was gonna have a heart attack, when I saw what they were, and how they were handled. Were mixed with some Disney books in the same stack of 15 or so. Had to be a story there, but oddly, he cares nothing about the more valuable ones. These few books have given me hints there may be worthwhile sellable things, buried. It is a slow process, however. A weird disease.

Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
My second CBCS submission, on it's way back to me.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Collector xvipah private msg quote post Address this user
Just got in touch with a guy in the area who sold me these stacks/boxes of old pulps and digests.

I still have to go through them, some are in really bad condition, but he's the original owner of a lot of these, bought them when he was a teen. The ones in stacks are the worse condition ones, the ones in the box are better, just haven't pulled them out yet.

Post 79 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@xvipah that looks like an awesome find!!! Congrats!!
Post 80 IP   flag post

being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Is that a long box chock full of Amazing Stories @xvipah?
Post 81 IP   flag post
They're not all Amazing stories, there are a bunch of different titles. But, the largest collection from both boxes seems to be Amazing Stories. I think that was his favorite

@Jesse_O Thanks, been trying to get these from this guy for a month and a half or so now, glad I finally pulled it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMorse
Is that a long box chock full of Amazing Stories @xvipah?
Post 82 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
AMAZING FIND @xvipah!!!
Post 83 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
@xvipah That is SO COOL!!! Super-jealous of your awesome find!
Post 84 IP   flag post
I’m sure whatever it was you got me was perfect. PhantomEwan private msg quote post Address this user
Added these to my international collection:Italian editions

Post 85 IP   flag post
So, from the first box/set of them. I'm going to probably sell/consign these off to MCS or some other way if MCS won't take them. If someone here is interested just DM me and we can talk.

This is 6 Adventure pulps. The top 4 don't have a front cover, or a back cover, or sometimes both. The bottom 2 are complete as far as I can see with attached covers and everything!

The next 2 are Thrilling Wonder Stories, or just Wonder Stories. Look to be complete, but there's tape on the covers, splits, etc...

A couple of Westerns:

A Romance Pulp:

This one's pretty cool, from 1939, in pretty good shape but there's tape on the entire spine:

Fantastic Universe:

Post 86 IP   flag post
A group of them that I think I'm going to keep, but that have one or both covers detached, etc... So, I'ma do the dreaded restoration, or is it conservation if it's just tape? I can never remember. Got some clear binding tape coming in tomorrow and I'm going to firm them up some.

Post 87 IP   flag post
@PhantomEwan Absolutely LOVE the foreign editions!

@xvipah Those pulps are spectacular. I see some great authors there!
Post 88 IP   flag post
Thanks, @Byrdibyrd. I'm going to post what I'm actually keeping from that first set tomorrow. Some pretty sweet covers/stories. I'm also looking forward to getting in to the "good" box tomorrow. There's at least 2 or 3 Schomberg covers I believe.
Post 89 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
Picked this up recently in an auction. Glad to have a copy back in the PC

Rest of these were part of the same auction.

Post 90 IP   flag post
Collector El_Dub13 private msg quote post Address this user
Got some new stuff in the mail yesterday and today.
Lady Death Fan Fusion Exclusives

Couple more books from eBay

Creepy Presents Richard Corben HC.

I’ve been wanting this one for a while now. Found it for $50 and it’s still sealed. A lot better deal than what people want for it on eBay. 300 pages of material from Creepy and Eerie magazines.
Post 91 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
Black series Vader helmet and maximum carnage statue.

Post 92 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
fresh from a trade at the con last weekend, my first coverless DD1

Post 93 IP   flag post
So here's what I'm keeping from the stacks of books that were in worse condition. Some fairly nice stuff here, not all of it was terrible.

Please excuse the statue nipples. I was trying to imagine the outrage that caused at the time....

These 3 I don't have bags for, I thought they'd fit in normal magazine sized mylars, but they don't. So I had to order some treasury bags, should be here later this week. The one that's 25 cents on the right was from 1929, the other 2 from 1932 and 1940. I can't imagine how any kid at that time was able to buy these...

Post 94 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
@xvipah given their size (though curious on page count) the price may be reasonable.

Consider the 30s saw -deflation- (yes, deflation). So when we think of the 10 cent books in the late 30s/early 40s and maybe adjusting for size and amount of content, it lines up.
Post 95 IP   flag post
Yea, I think you're right that it's reasonable. But still, going to dad/mom and asking for 25 or 50 cents to get a science fiction pulp? I can't imagine that was easy.

Page count for the 25 cent one from 1929 is 288

Page count for the 50 cent one from 1932 is 144.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
@xvipah given their size (though curious on page count) the price may be reasonable.

Consider the 30s saw -deflation- (yes, deflation). So when we think of the 10 cent books in the late 30s/early 40s and maybe adjusting for size and amount of content, it lines up.
Post 96 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
@lawguy1977 awesome books!
Post 97 IP   flag post
@Studley_Dudley thanks! I’ve got the ‘Tec 359 between 5.0 and 6.0, so got it for a pretty good price. Definitely a grail for me.
Post 98 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawguy1977
@Studley_Dudley thanks! I’ve got the ‘Tec 359 between 5.0 and 6.0, so got it for a pretty good price. Definitely a grail for me.
the secret key there is the 355, great book and so important!
Post 99 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town early Zatanna appearance, right?
Post 100 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
yes Sir, somewhere in about her first five or six depending what story you follow about her
Post 101 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Ive been trying to save money but I figured I would go to local shop I haven't been to in a while. It seems as the itch has been scratched, a couple pieces of drek and a couple readers.

Post 102 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Not “new” to my collection, but an upgrade:

Replacing:

So the 7.0 will be coming soon to an MCS near you!
Post 103 IP   flag post
So, here's what I pulled from that box of stuff that was in good condition. Good is, of course, relative. They're all chipped, folded, etc... But, most of these have both covers and they're attached. I think there's 1 w/out a back cover, 1 with the front cover detached, and 1 where apparently the front cover was replaced with a facsimile. The rest are complete.

So far I've identified one Schomburg cover. it's the one on the right of the 3rd picture, with the blimp, "Fantastic Story". I think there's more I just have to look through them.

And the question is definitely answered, it was, indeed, chock full of Amazing Stories. It's obviously the one he liked the best.

Post 104 IP   flag post
@xvipah So, so, SO jealous.
Post 105 IP   flag post
601469 999 30