Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

New to Your Collection #1417728

I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@Byrdibyrd thank you and congrats on that submission πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
Post 726 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Last week, my wife and I visited my sister and niece in Virginia. So of course, I had to visit a few comic book stores and antique shops near the Richmond area. Not much to report on. I only managed to purchase some drek.

At one of the places, they keep photocopies of better comics in binders that you can flip through, and then you have to ask them to see the actual books. I guess they don’t do wall books. Anyway, I got pretty excited when I saw photocopies of Planet Comics #30 and #48, and both had listed prices of $50. Unfortunately, both books had been poorly β€œrestored” by someone. Missing pieces of the covers had paper glued over them, and the spines looked like they had been color-touched using paint. I would have bought both in their natural conditions without hesitation, but not in their doctored states. So I passed on both, but felt like I had to buy something after having the woman pull the books for me, and then stay with me for several minutes as I went through each book. That’s how I ended up with the Something is Killing the Children book. So no great finds, but I only spent about $25 on everything, and got to hold and look through a few very interesting GA books.
Post 727 IP   flag post
Collector ticktocktyler private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Got a few more books back from a couple signings. These came from The Other Guy, so be prepared!

Thrilled to get this one back. It's a favourite because... DOUBLE COVER!

All the books signed by Marv Wolfman, uncluding this one and the one above, originally went to the Perez signing. RIP

This newsstand edition is tweaked but still worth a signature and a slab, at least to me.

I guess Howard Chaykin is sick of signing this book, because at first I couldn't even find his signature, and when I did it's the most bored 'signature' I think I've ever seen!

At least you can see the signature on this one.

Speaking of nice hauls....Congratulations!
Post 728 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Went to a small local show today and picked up some nice, low-priced stuff. I wouldn't call these "drek" but you won't find a FF #1 in here, either. πŸ™‚

A reading copy of this one.

Ok... maybe this one is drek. πŸ˜„

Also, I recently picked up my Hero Initiative copy of the Overstreet Guide. Always a good cause.

Lastly, this was a crowdsourced pro-police comic written by Mike Baron. I haven't read it yet but look forward to doing so. A portion of the proceeds go to supporting police groups. Some other goodies came with the book, too.

Post 729 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@southerncross
Those are great. Nice copy of the Battlestar Galactica!!

Thanks, bought about 2 weeks ago from one of two lcs I visit. I'm pretty lucky to have them.

The Bevis and Butthead 5 issues cost me $15 and the Battlestar cost me $10.
Pretty good prices so it's why I frequent them and build a relationship as a good customer for when the really big books come in πŸ‘
Post 730 IP   flag post

Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

Those are great prices! WOW!
Post 731 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
At one of the places, they keep photocopies of better comics in binders that you can flip through, and then you have to ask them to see the actual books.

@esaravo Titan Comics in Dallas does (or did) the same. I don't know if they are still in business.

@DWeeB1967 I had a raw The Midnight Hour-13 that I personally graded at 9.2 with perfect wrap. I'm still kicking myself in the ass for selling it about 4 years ago.
Post 732 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

And that is business as usual for me.
The same shop I've bought these in last 12-18 months

$130

$125

And the other shop I've bought off in the last 6 months.

$400

$50

$500

If I had to pay full FMV on every book online I'd have a small collection and I'd only buy a couple of books each year.

Best to find a very good lcs and build a relationship and pop in every week or two like you're a modern subscriber and hunt for those cool vintage books.

And my 2 lcs are my honey holes so I never share πŸ‘
Post 733 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
@esaravo Titan Comics in Dallas does (or did) the same. I don't know if they are still in business.

They are. I don't get over often because of how far they are from me, but they're still there.
Post 734 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@southerncross wow, very nice
Post 735 IP   flag post
@southerncross
Amazing books at great prices! Very jealous!
Post 736 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I had a raw The Midnight Hour-13 that I personally graded at 9.2 with perfect wrap. I'm still kicking myself in the ass for selling it about 4 years ago.

I've wanted a copy of this one for years so I was happy to find this one raw, reasonably priced and in pretty nice shape. But, yea, getting a nice wrap on this book, like so many DCs from this era, is really tough.
Post 737 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I only have 1 LCS,... and I have put over $4k of books on layaway with zero dollars down because I always pay off quickly.
It's called TRUST!

He has left me in his store after hours on many occasions with thousands of dollars of BA/SA/GA books that I can inspect at my leisure while he is out running errands. And he knows his books are safe in my hands.
It's called TRUST!

And I have no problem sharing his identity,... Duncanville Book Store, in Duncanville TX.

@southerncross enjoy your honey holes.
Post 738 IP   flag post
Quote:
And I have no problem sharing his identity,... Duncanville Book Store, in Duncanville TX.

I actually just stopped by Duncanville for the first time a couple of months ago when I was visiting my brother. Seemed like a nice bunch of guys running the store.
Post 739 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
Quote:

I actually just stopped by Duncanville for the first time a couple of months ago when I was visiting my brother. Seemed like a nice bunch of guys running the store.

Andy McMahon is the one to do business with.
Post 740 IP   flag post
Quote:
Thanks! I'll ask for him next time I get up there.
Post 741 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
Quote:
Thanks! I'll ask for him next time I get up there.

You are very welcome. Just let him know how serious you are, and he will guide you to another office in town where more books are stashed.
Post 742 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I only have 1 LCS,... and I have put over $4k of books on layaway with zero dollars down because I always pay off quickly.
It's called TRUST!

He has left me in his store after hours on many occasions with thousands of dollars of BA/SA/GA books that I can inspect at my leisure while he is out running errands. And he knows his books are safe in my hands.
It's called TRUST!

One of my honey holes went on vacation last week and left me and another person in charge of the store, keys, books alarm ECT and served customers and did subscriptions.
So trust and developed friendships works both ways. πŸ‘
Post 743 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's called TRUST!

It's called TRUST!

One of my honey holes went on vacation last week and left me and another person in charge of the store, keys, books alarm ECT and served customers and did subscriptions.
So trust and developed friendships works both ways. πŸ‘

You are absolutely correct! But I will at least reveal my contacts so other collectors may possibly benefit.

Who are your honey holes, and where are they located?
Post 744 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
You are absolutely correct! But I will at least reveal my contacts so other collectors may possibly benefit

How about the perspective of the LCS small business owner just trying to earn a living? It's like really? You don't want other people to know about my shop because I'm too good to you? I would be saving those great deals for someone who is more inclined to have a mutually beneficial relationship. Life is just better when it's a team sport than when it's a zero-sum game.
Post 745 IP   flag post
Collector obrie2tm private msg quote post Address this user

Big book for the collection - Underappreciated book with classic cover art.
Post 746 IP   flag post
@obrie2tm
I, for one, do NOT underappreciate that gorgeous book! WOW!!
Post 747 IP   flag post
Collector ticktocktyler private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@obrie2tm
I, for one, do NOT underappreciate that gorgeous book! WOW!!

Neither do I. That book is a thing. Nice one!
Post 748 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd @ticktocktyler Thank you! It has been on my want list for a long time. One of my absolutely favorite covers
Post 749 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
@obrie2tm I want the name of this fool who doesn't appreciate the Boy Commandos.
Post 750 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by obrie2tm

Big book for the collection - Underappreciated book with classic cover art.
gorgeous book, but I for one don't understand why they would title a book about a boy without underwear 🀷. Sorry dad joke.
Post 751 IP   flag post
@Batman66 HAH! I can hear the eye-rolls from my kids with that dad joke...gonna have to use it
Post 752 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user

Post 753 IP   flag post
@Frontier2Xterra
Nice one!
Post 754 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
Can you say, "Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!"

Post 755 IP   flag post
600776 999 30