Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

New to Your Collection #1417728

Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
@Byrdibyrd on the stones? That's a good idea. The red still sucks.

Yes, a wash on the stones. It would give them more depth. Also, @esaravo is right. The base and letters would look nice in black.
Post 701 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user

Post 702 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
From NYCC 2021. Received today
All autographs I obtained with the help of the always incredible CBCS booth employees

Post 703 IP   flag post
Collector ticktocktyler private msg quote post Address this user
The "Amazing World 1976 Con book is a Kubert File Copy. Neat.

Post 704 IP   flag post
@ticktocktyler
That is one sweet haul! Very jealous!
Post 705 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
@ticktocktyler
That is one sweet haul! Very jealous!

The WW's are going to my nine year old niece.She's a WW fan big time. And an aspiring artist. And an aspiring boxer. LOL!

Post 706 IP   flag post
@ticktocktyler
Beautiful young lady and I love her glitter T-shirt!
Post 707 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
glitter? shoot, I thought they go for the flipping sparkle things?
Post 708 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user

I'd be lying if I said this book wasn't on my radar. Of course it was - it's one of the maybe 15 Catwoman covers I don't already have. But I wasn't actively looking for one. In fact, I probably wouldn't have found it if my attempt to buy a totally different book wasn't foiled by a seller who doesn't understand negotiation (but that's all another story).

Once I saw it, though, I was hooked. Between the cover appeal and the white pages, I figured I couldn't pass it up. So I pulled the trigger.

I really enjoy the ad on the back for the Thom McAn "please beat the hell out of me" boots.

Post 709 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@CatCovers killer book!!! congrats!!!
Post 710 IP   flag post
@CatCovers
Beautiful copy! Congrats!
Post 711 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCovers

I'd be lying if I said this book wasn't on my radar. Of course it was - it's one of the maybe 15 Catwoman covers I don't already have. But I wasn't actively looking for one. In fact, I probably wouldn't have found it if my attempt to buy a totally different book wasn't foiled by a seller who doesn't understand negotiation (but that's all another story).

Once I saw it, though, I was hooked. Between the cover appeal and the white pages, I figured I couldn't pass it up. So I pulled the trigger.

I really enjoy the ad on the back for the Thom McAn "please beat the hell out of me" boots.

I love when ebay sellers have OBO and take $5 off a $250+ book that doesnt include shipping. I move on and save the seller so I dont buy from them in the future.
Post 712 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@CatCovers congrats, that's a beautiful book
Post 713 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I love buyers who ask for best offer when there is no best offer listed. The knife cuts both ways... there are always going to be undesirable folks no matter how you slice it.

I have become an undesirable myself on occasion and I find that more often than not even without a best offer tag, some folks will take it if you are reasonable in your request.
Post 714 IP   flag post
@Bronte
The ones that bug me are the ones that make me an offer on a non-OBO item and it's bordering on insulting.

To paraphrase:

"I'll give you one-quarter of the asking price and I'm doing it as a favour because you don't know what you're doing and I'm Super-Dude-Overlord-Ultra-Comics-Handling-Elite and you should be grateful I want to buy your book."

Wow, Super-D.O.U.C.H.E., take your offer and stick it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
more often than not even without a best offer tag, some folks will take it if you are reasonable in your request.

Yes, sometimes it's okay, especially if it's a BIN item that has been listed for ages. Make a reasonable offer and even if the item isn't OBO, the offer might be welcome.
Post 715 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Bordering? Wow I'd hate to see what you consider insulting.

Do you suppose it's gender bias or are they that bad regardless if who they talk to?
Post 716 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
In the case I referenced above, the Best Offer option was there already; I was just trying to use it.

The book in question is certainly valuable, but it was priced ... well, optimistically would be the best word. Higher than it was worth, but not outrageously so. Which, in concert with the existing Best Offer option, led me to think this person might deal. So I did some thinking, some research, and came to the seller with an offer that was a little on the low side, but not lowballing. It was just a hair under 80% of asking price. And while what I was offering was already about right for that particular book, I really wanted it and was willing to meet at 85 to 90%. Instead, a day later, I get a counteroffer knocking a whopping 1% off the asking price. It was irritating and insulting and just made me walk away.
Post 717 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user

went to a card show today where psa/dna had a showing. Great news, both joe kubert and carmine infantino signatures both got verified. While I was waiting for the verification I went to a comic store near by and picked up this showcase 61, have a couple of copies already but this looks way better, just love this cover
Post 718 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Bordering? Wow I'd hate to see what you consider insulting.

Do you suppose it's gender bias or are they that bad regardless if who they talk to?

One of the worst ones did find out I was of a non-male persuasion and then he really ramped up the Horse's @ssery, to include going so far as to offer to purchase my entire collection and that he was helping me out by doing so. I blocked him and I'm sure he blocked me in return.

The others have had no idea who they were talking to, and I got the impression they were just knuckleheads hoping to find someone clueless enough to buy into their rubbish. I'd recommend to them that they either (a) stop that nonsense entirely, or (b) develop some manners so that the stupidity is at least slightly less unpleasant.
Post 719 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCovers
In the case I referenced above, the Best Offer option was there already; I was just trying to use it.

The book in question is certainly valuable, but it was priced ... well, optimistically would be the best word. Higher than it was worth, but not outrageously so. Which, in concert with the existing Best Offer option, led me to think this person might deal. So I did some thinking, some research, and came to the seller with an offer that was a little on the low side, but not lowballing. It was just a hair under 80% of asking price. And while what I was offering was already about right for that particular book, I really wanted it and was willing to meet at 85 to 90%. Instead, a day later, I get a counteroffer knocking a whopping 1% off the asking price. It was irritating and insulting and just made me walk away.

The entire purpose of OBO is so people can deal. Why have that turned on if all you're willing to do is drop the price a few pennies? That ridiculous.

Most of my BIN books are not OBO, but I will always take a look at a reasonable offer - particularly for books that have been listed for a long time - and if I'm really Really not willing to deal, there are polite ways to get that across without making a joke counteroffer. That is never necessary.
Post 720 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66
went to a card show today where psa/dna had a showing. Great news, both joe kubert and carmine infantino signatures both got verified. While I was waiting for the verification I went to a comic store near by and picked up this showcase 61, have a couple of copies already but this looks way better, just love this cover

Congrats on verifying the signatures! That is fantastic!
That's a gorgeous Showcase, too. WOW!
Post 721 IP   flag post
Got a few more books back from a couple signings. These came from The Other Guy, so be prepared!

Thrilled to get this one back. It's a favourite because... DOUBLE COVER!

All the books signed by Marv Wolfman, uncluding this one and the one above, originally went to the Perez signing. RIP

This newsstand edition is tweaked but still worth a signature and a slab, at least to me.

I guess Howard Chaykin is sick of signing this book, because at first I couldn't even find his signature, and when I did it's the most bored 'signature' I think I've ever seen!

At least you can see the signature on this one.

Post 722 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Post 723 IP   flag post
@southerncross
Those are great. Nice copy of the Battlestar Galactica!!
Post 724 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Byrdibyrd - Nice books! I had Chaykin sign an American Flagg #1 at a convention a few years ago, and he was already just doodling his initials.
Post 725 IP   flag post
@Byrdibyrd thank you and congrats on that submission πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
Post 726 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Last week, my wife and I visited my sister and niece in Virginia. So of course, I had to visit a few comic book stores and antique shops near the Richmond area. Not much to report on. I only managed to purchase some drek.

At one of the places, they keep photocopies of better comics in binders that you can flip through, and then you have to ask them to see the actual books. I guess they don’t do wall books. Anyway, I got pretty excited when I saw photocopies of Planet Comics #30 and #48, and both had listed prices of $50. Unfortunately, both books had been poorly β€œrestored” by someone. Missing pieces of the covers had paper glued over them, and the spines looked like they had been color-touched using paint. I would have bought both in their natural conditions without hesitation, but not in their doctored states. So I passed on both, but felt like I had to buy something after having the woman pull the books for me, and then stay with me for several minutes as I went through each book. That’s how I ended up with the Something is Killing the Children book. So no great finds, but I only spent about $25 on everything, and got to hold and look through a few very interesting GA books.
Post 727 IP   flag post
Quote:
Got a few more books back from a couple signings. These came from The Other Guy, so be prepared!

Thrilled to get this one back. It's a favourite because... DOUBLE COVER!

All the books signed by Marv Wolfman, uncluding this one and the one above, originally went to the Perez signing. RIP

This newsstand edition is tweaked but still worth a signature and a slab, at least to me.

I guess Howard Chaykin is sick of signing this book, because at first I couldn't even find his signature, and when I did it's the most bored 'signature' I think I've ever seen!

At least you can see the signature on this one.

Speaking of nice hauls....Congratulations!
Post 728 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Went to a small local show today and picked up some nice, low-priced stuff. I wouldn't call these "drek" but you won't find a FF #1 in here, either. πŸ™‚

A reading copy of this one.

Ok... maybe this one is drek. πŸ˜„

Also, I recently picked up my Hero Initiative copy of the Overstreet Guide. Always a good cause.

Lastly, this was a crowdsourced pro-police comic written by Mike Baron. I haven't read it yet but look forward to doing so. A portion of the proceeds go to supporting police groups. Some other goodies came with the book, too.

Post 729 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@southerncross
Those are great. Nice copy of the Battlestar Galactica!!

Thanks, bought about 2 weeks ago from one of two lcs I visit. I'm pretty lucky to have them.

The Bevis and Butthead 5 issues cost me $15 and the Battlestar cost me $10.
Pretty good prices so it's why I frequent them and build a relationship as a good customer for when the really big books come in πŸ‘
Post 730 IP   flag post
601363 999 30